How to run scripts on Lua?

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

How to run scripts on Lua?

by Andrey01 » Post

I`ve started to learn Lua at first time today. But i don`t know how to run a file with scripts. In one book it says it needs to call the comand % lua <filename>, but it doesn`t work.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: How to run scripts on Lua?

by sofar » Post

Andrey01 wrote:I`ve started to learn Lua at first time today. But i don`t know how to run a file with scripts. In one book it says it needs to call the comand % lua <filename>, but it doesn`t work.
Minetest includes lua internally, but the `lua` command isn't part of that. You likely need to install a standalone `lua` package first before that command becomes available.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

sofar wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:I`ve started to learn Lua at first time today. But i don`t know how to run a file with scripts. In one book it says it needs to call the comand % lua <filename>, but it doesn`t work.
Minetest includes lua internally, but the `lua` command isn't part of that. You likely need to install a standalone `lua` package first before that command becomes available.
Now i can run scripts. It appears i don`t need '%' symbol for comand 'lua <filename'. I tried other way to run ones is to use function dofile() in console.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

Lua is an interpreted language that is not intended to run by itself. It is similar to Python, which is intended to run by itself. Lua is intended to run as part of other programs such as: Gimp or minetest. It expects to find itself inside of another program. That is, if someone includes Lua in their program its to give you access to the internal functions of their program. Python can be used in the same way, but Lua is made for this almost exlusively. You can run Lua from the commandline, but its not really meant for that.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

lightseer wrote:but its not really meant for that.
That's just silly. Interpreted languages are just as easily usable outside of another program as they are as an embedded modding language.

Code: Select all

echo -e '#!/usr/bin/env lua\nprint("hello")\n' > test.lua && chmod 755 test.lua && ./test.lua
The above demonstrates that lua could just be used like a shell script or a python script, without embedding.

Lua was designed to be small, and Lua's small size makes it *excellent* for embedding, but that does not logically translate that Lua was designed to be embedded. It also makes for an excellent scripting language by itself just fine.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

lightseer wrote:Lua is an interpreted language that is not intended to run by itself. It is similar to Python, which is intended to run by itself. Lua is intended to run as part of other programs such as: Gimp or minetest. It expects to find itself inside of another program. That is, if someone includes Lua in their program its to give you access to the internal functions of their program. Python can be used in the same way, but Lua is made for this almost exlusively. You can run Lua from the commandline, but its not really meant for that.
I've never read so much nonsense in one single post.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

sofar wrote:
lightseer wrote:but its not really meant for that.
That's just silly. Interpreted languages are just as easily usable outside of another program as they are as an embedded modding language.

Code: Select all

echo -e '#!/usr/bin/env lua\nprint("hello")\n' > test.lua && chmod 755 test.lua && ./test.lua
The above demonstrates that lua could just be used like a shell script or a python script, without embedding.

Lua was designed to be small, and Lua's small size makes it *excellent* for embedding, but that does not logically translate that Lua was designed to be embedded. It also makes for an excellent scripting language by itself just fine.
Sounds like I misspoke. It is usually found embedded in things.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

From the Lua documentation page: https://www.lua.org/semish94.html This is "The first paper describing Lua." It is described as "A language for extending applications."