Microsoft interest in minetest

lightseer

Microsoft interest in minetest

by lightseer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 23:40

I run linux clients and the Windows 10 client. Lately I have noticed several episodes where Windows 10 has reported errors about Minetest to Windows 10. This is unusual as I have been running minetest for over a month. I think that since MS bought minecraft that minetest is considered a thread to profit. I think we should notate any changes in how Windows 10 behaves towards our minetest clients.

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

Re: Microsoft interest in minetest

by Gael de Sailly » Thu Mar 22, 2018 00:08

I don't think they would bother to include something targeting Minetest specifically in a widely distributed OS, I'd better imagine it's due to random bugs of Windows. But also Minetest itself is developed primarily on Linux and I wouldn't be surprised if some tests on Windows were not sufficient. You should report us the error messages you get.
Contributor of Minetest and OpenStreetMap, on Ubuntu 16.04. ~ ~ ~ Meet me on MinetestForFun, VanessaE's Basic, Capture the Flag and Inside the Box.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:35

Gael de Sailly wrote:I don't think they would bother to include something targeting Minetest specifically in a widely distributed OS, I'd better imagine it's due to random bugs of Windows. But also Minetest itself is developed primarily on Linux and I wouldn't be surprised if some tests on Windows were not sufficient. You should report us the error messages you get.

I think that the sheer fact that Mojang was bought for such incredible sum of money gives a hint that voxel sandboxes for some reason are generally of interest to M$. That's first. Second, I don't think that what this thread is about is any kind of proof for "targeting" Minetest either, but, on the other hand, such situation doesn't seem to be inconceivable. I use Opera browser and a few years ago I encountered multiple situations when many if not most web sites were inaccessible to me, to the point I phoned my acquaintances to assure myself that there's no major web breakdown. Then I learned that in fact there were some sophisticated methods used to "cripple" this browser, but there's of course no proof that M$ stood behind this...
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 13:25

voxelproof wrote:I think that the sheer fact that Mojang was bought for such incredible sum of money gives a hint that voxel sandboxes for some reason are generally of interest to M$.

Their games in specific are. They internally name their updates "Redstone" and their speech assistant is named after "Cortana" from their Halo games.

Since they invest a lot in FLOSS lately they're in the first phase of EEE. Minetest would be just another point on their checklist since it is the most widespread alternative to their Minecraft game.

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 14:41

Going as far as making Minetest crash? I have slight doubts, when they ship the biggest fleet of advocates in history.
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

uwu

by uwu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 17:27

I wouldn't rule it out.
Microsoft has intentionally crippled Windows when it was still a DOS add-on to throw an error if it ran on a competitor's DOS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARD_code
An "error" message that wasn't technical in nature but pure bullshit designed to make DR-DOS look bad.

Nobody can know if they still pull these stunts today, because the source is closed.

Skulls

In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Thu Mar 22, 2018 17:53

Where is a tin foil hat mod when you need it?

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 17:54

Microsoft doesn't need to modify their OS to make Minetest crash, the program does that well enough by itself
Core Developer | Donate | My Twitter | Mods | Mods 4 Android | Node Box Editor | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

LgiOxMFYXOqtqVqMPhbw1Bn3oNRvEC7j

v-rob

GitHub: v-rob

by v-rob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 23:29

What's with the overreaction? I have Windows 10, and whenever any program crashes, the same error message pops up with a loading bar and the text "Hang on while we report the problem to Microsoft" or something very similar. They do this to make themselves sound like they're trying to help you out, but they aren't. There's nothing to worry about.

Skulls

In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Thu Mar 22, 2018 23:44

v-rob wrote:There's nothing to worry about.

Or is there?

*doom doom doom DOOOOOOM*

redblade7

IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 21:57

IIRC the first major update to Windows 10 suddenly disabled a bunch of CPU benchmarking and overclocking tools.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

lightseer

by lightseer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 02:49

I have nothing to add as I have found all of the replies so far informative. My reply to Sailly:
Gael de Sailly wrote:I don't think they would bother to include something targeting Minetest specifically in a widely distributed OS, I'd better imagine it's due to random bugs of Windows. But also Minetest itself is developed primarily on Linux and I wouldn't be surprised if some tests on Windows were not sufficient. You should report us the error messages you get.
Ok, I take your comment very seriously. If I have something worth reporting I will do so.

lightseer

by lightseer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 17:03

This morning something caused my Windows 10 firewall to block the minetest client. I was unable to access public servers. Its never done that before. I unblocked the setting in the firewall and then I was able to find public servers again. What caused Windows 10 to arbitrarily block my application today?

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Sat Mar 24, 2018 18:20

lightseer wrote:This morning something caused my Windows 10 firewall to block the minetest client. I was unable to access public servers. Its never done that before. I unblocked the setting in the firewall and then I was able to find public servers again. What caused Windows 10 to arbitrarily block my application today?

In Win8.1 there're also problems when player starts MT for the first time. You have to be really quick to enable "server options" in pop-up Windows menu or the system will block it forever. Then you'll have to uninstall/delete MT folder and start the blindman's buff again. Once I made 5 or so attempts before being able to run the MT game which btw makes the further experience all the more valuable ;) .

On the other hand one cannot refuse to acknowledge some sadomasochistic charm surrounding this famous Redmond stuff.
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>

Return to General Discussion