Settings confg don't work?

MrOverCast
GitHub: MrOverCast
IRC: MrOverCast
In-game: MrOverCast

Settings confg don't work?

by MrOverCast » Post

So i was looking at the minetest confg and ive realized it doesn't do anything? like when i modify it it doesn't do any changes to the game and the same thing with (settingstype) file i don't know maybe im doing something wrong or looking in the wrong spot or can you just not change settings outside of the game?

got any suggestions?
Last edited by MrOverCast on Wed Jan 02, 2019 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Settings confg dwont work?

by rubenwardy » Post

Make sure you're modifying minetest.conf and not the example one. You should do this whilst Minetest is closed. What OS do you have?

It's probably better to use advanced settings anyway.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

MrOverCast

by MrOverCast » Post

Rubemwardy

alright so i was modifying the minetest example confg and im on windows 7 and the reason why i wanted to change the settings outside of the same is because i set the GUI scaling way to high on accident and it made the boxes way to big where i couldnt change it and it also would be good to know where it is so if another situation happens like that again

Where is the confg that will change the settings in the game may i ask

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

The easiest way is to copy the lines you want from conf.example and paste them into a new file you save as minetest.conf - this will create the proper config file for the game to read. Save it in the same place as the example file.

MrOverCast

by MrOverCast » Post

KCoombes

it still doesn't seem to work i created a new text file and named it (Minetest.conf) and pasted this in the file

Scale gui by a user specified value.
# Use a nearest-neighbor-anti-alias filter to scale the GUI.
# This will smooth over some of the rough edges, and blend
# pixels when scaling down, at the cost of blurring some
# edge pixels when images are scaled by non-integer sizes.
# type:# float
gui_scaling = 1.0

KCoombes

by KCoombes » Post

MrOverCast wrote:KCoombes

it still doesn't seem to work i created a new text file and named it (Minetest.conf) and pasted this in the file

Scale gui by a user specified value.
# Use a nearest-neighbor-anti-alias filter to scale the GUI.
# This will smooth over some of the rough edges, and blend
# pixels when scaling down, at the cost of blurring some
# edge pixels when images are scaled by non-integer sizes.
# type:# float
gui_scaling = 1.0
no capital letters in your file name (Minetest.conf won't work, minetest.conf will), and you only need

gui_scaling = 1.0

in the file

MrOverCast

by MrOverCast » Post

KCoombers

It still doesn't work i renamed the file (minetest.conf) with gui_scaling = 1.0 in it with the file sitting under the example file i fired up my game and no change happened to the game

i do have the file in the right minetest folder if that makes sense
Last edited by MrOverCast on Thu Apr 05, 2018 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

KCoombes

by KCoombes » Post

OK, the line

gui_scaling = 1.0

is the default setting, so change the number to what you want (higher for bigger, I think)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Try reducing the number: maybe the «1.0» value for default means big boxes and you're not changing anything. Also try changing another parameter to test. Try the following, if Minetest doesn't change then it doesn't identify minetest.conf file:

Code: Select all

gui_scaling = 0.7
fov = 104
Have a nice day! :D

MrOverCast

by MrOverCast » Post

KCoombes wrote:OK, the line

gui_scaling = 1.0

is the default setting, so change the number to what you want (higher for bigger, I think)
I am trying to get it smaller because its set to like 27 and the anti aliasing box is the only thing i see on my screen and i cant move the mouse because my screen stops it so i am trying to set it to the default size witch is 1.0 (normal size

Mineyoshi I think it wont read the file because i pasted what you told me to past and it didnt do anything

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

MrOverCast wrote:

gui_scaling = 1.0

I am trying to get it smaller because its set to like 27 and the anti aliasing box is the only thing i see on my screen and i cant move the mouse because my screen stops it so i am trying to set it to the default size witch is 1.0 (normal size

Mineyoshi I think it wont read the file because i pasted what you told me to past and it didnt do anything
Have you unchecked the option «Hide extensions for known file types» from Windows® 7? Maybe it looks like «minetest.conf» but actually it's «minetest.conf.txt» so it won't detect it; if you don't know what is that, see here a quick tutorial on how to do so. If the file appears to be «minetest.conf.txt» change it to «minetest.conf» without the «.txt». If Windows shows you a problem with «changing extensions» don't mind it and continue. That's the only way the engine couldn't identify your «minetest.conf» so far.

MrOverCast

by MrOverCast » Post

MineYoshi wrote:
MrOverCast wrote:

gui_scaling = 1.0

Have you unchecked the option «Hide extensions for known file types» from Windows® 7? Maybe it looks like «minetest.conf» but actually it's «minetest.conf.txt» so it won't detect it; if you don't know what is that, see here a quick tutorial on how to do so. If the file appears to be «minetest.conf.txt» change it to «minetest.conf» without the «.txt». If Windows shows you a problem with «changing extensions» don't mind it and continue. That's the only way the engine couldn't identify your «minetest.conf» so far.

Yes! thank you very much i saw it said .txt earlier but i thought it was normal. i got it to work and im sorry for asking a question that has such a simple solution i just couldnt find anything online and the only hint i got was the example file

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

MrOverCast wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:
MrOverCast wrote: I am trying to get it smaller because its set to like 27 and the anti aliasing box is the only thing i see on my screen and i cant move the mouse because my screen stops it so i am trying to set it to the default size witch is 1.0 (normal size

Yes! thank you very much i saw it said .txt earlier but i thought it was normal. i got it to work and im sorry for asking a question that has such a simple solution i just couldnt find anything online and the only hint i got was the example file
No problem. If you happen to have the same problem with Minetest or with other program at least you know how to solve it now.