what is the huge 'media' folder for?

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

what is the huge 'media' folder for?

by PolySaken » Post

I've had a look but can't find anything. what is the purpose of this huge space taker upper?
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

Re: what is the huge 'media' folder for?

by srifqi » Post

It is used for storing media cache. That's why it is inside "cache" folder.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

srifqi wrote:It is used for storing media cache. That's why it is inside "cache" folder.
but what does it actually store? what kind of media?
not extremely helpful to me sorry...
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

When you connect to a server (or local server), you will see a progress bar with text "Media..." on it. At that time, Minetest downloads all media needed to play on that server, i.e., images, textures, sounds, to the "media" folder. So, next time you connect to that server again, you don't have to download those files again.

Pro tip: Minetest only checks for its checksum. So, to reduce downloading time when connecting to a public server, play locally (so that Minetest will fill up the cache) before playing on a public server (if they have the exact same files).
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

PolySaken wrote:this huge space taker
This largely depends on the servers you join. The cache is updated with any new media coming from the server, which may also be 1024px special textures, ambient music or heavy models - it's all saved into the cache directory to reduce the future load and traffic of the server.
The client does not know when the media will be required when playing on the server, so there might some garbage sum up from mods that were used for a day (texting purposes) or such that were replaced. This means you can safely delete the cache directory after a few months.
But for the server's sake - don't symlink that directory to a /dev/null-alike black hole, even if you've got a connection which allows you to load the media quickly enough!
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>