Minetest Maps... Versus The Real World!

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

Minetest Maps... Versus The Real World!

by Dokimi » Post

Lately I've been fiddling with mg_tectonic, and asking the question: how to make truly realistic terrain in Minetest?

So I made these for reference. Perhaps you'll find these interesting too...

This is kind of real world terrain you could actually fit in a Minetest map. (the yellow circles are the 31km radius).

Islands

Lakes

Rivers

and a few more...
Attachments
MtvsReal_rivers.jpeg
MtvsReal_rivers.jpeg (226.69 KiB) Viewed 499 times
MtvsReal_lakes.jpeg
MtvsReal_lakes.jpeg (247.67 KiB) Viewed 499 times
MtvsReal_islands.jpeg
MtvsReal_islands.jpeg (128.46 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Dokimi

Re: Minetest Maps... Versus The Real World!

by Dokimi » Post

Mountains

Cities

Earth layers
Attachments
mtvsreal_layers.jpeg
mtvsreal_layers.jpeg (105.05 KiB) Viewed 499 times
MtvsReal_cities.jpeg
MtvsReal_cities.jpeg (210.71 KiB) Viewed 499 times
MtvsReal_mountains.jpeg
MtvsReal_mountains.jpeg (273.66 KiB) Viewed 499 times

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Some people should do some things like this. I've always wanted thing like the real world that weren't scaled down.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

v-rob wrote:Some people should do some things like this. I've always wanted thing like the real world that weren't scaled down.
mg_tectonic is my attempt to do that. It's inspired by the islands of New Zealand. In terms of the images above it would work out a bit like a large Malta, surrounded by the Virgin Islands, with a mini lake Taupo in the centre, and some very mini Himalayas running down the middle.

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

v-rob wrote:Some people should do some things like this. I've always wanted thing like the real world that weren't scaled down.
This might be good, but there are also huge monotonous lands. If you spawned on one of them, you could have to travel hundreds of kilometres to see something different. (I know that Minetest world is only 60km×60km×60km.) I was experimenting with my terrainbrot. This isn't supposed to be a real landscape but still it was difficult to spawn on a location where I could find both mountains and lowlands. And it was even harder in larger-scale worlds.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Hume2 wrote:... but there are also huge monotonous lands. If you spawned on one of them, you could have to travel hundreds of kilometres to see something different. ...
I had this issue with mg_tectonic.

My solution: as much small scale variation as is physically possible (rock types, sediments, plants...). The default biomes just aren't up to the task, so I didn't use biomes at all. Instead it has continuous variation across the map. Each place is (in theory) unique.

Even then... sometimes you're in the desert and you really want to see snow! (It majorly changes gameplay, I've discussed this in the mg_tectonic thread)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

MT's small-scape landscape is usually better suited for gameplay than anything remotedly realistic. Players need the differend materials and some variety of places in order to enjoy the map. There's also the problem of the very limited view in MT. You just can't see the mountain in front of you, or the shores of the lake. Maybe the best way would be to just create a huge city or forrest areas where the long distance view is extremly limited.
A list of my mods can be found here.