New Competitive Minetest Creative League

MattCommish

New Competitive Minetest Creative League

by MattCommish » Post

Hi everyone,
I'm new to Minetest but having an amazing time building cities. Only problem: It's a lonely experience, not even my wife is interested in what I build. :)
So I've decided to create a competitive Minetest league in which 20 players (teams) compete in a league-format in a 10 week season, playoffs and championship. Each week, the 5 teams in each division have an assignment (bridge, city hall, airport etc...). They build it and then share a screenshot video with the league. The owners outside their division vote on the best designs. We keep track of standings, division winners, wild cards, all leading to a championship.
I have run an online fantasy baseball league for years and I think this will be even more fun.
You can see more detail at this website: https://minetestcreativeleague.yolasite.com/
I will be releasing the full constitution for the league next week, once I see if there is interest.
We are going to start in August so if you are interested please send me an email at matt@rightbraincurriculum.com
Thanks so much! Matt

Jone

Re: New Competitive Minetest Creative League

by Jone » Post

I think this is a terrific idea. I am hesitant to become involved myself only because I cannot afford enough time to build things, but I will be watching your project with interest. I hope you are finding some interested players.

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

I think the idea is good. Is this what happens on a server?
Spoiler
I hate my life

MattCommish

by MattCommish » Post

I thought it was a good idea too but no takers so far. Maybe the Minetest community is a bit small? Anyway, if anyone is up for this idea do let me know.

Brian Gaucher
GitHub: BrianGaucher
In-game: Camasia

by Brian Gaucher » Post

Yeah, I'd like to play.
Maybe creating some graphics to explain how it would work might help.
And make sure we get votes in everything.
Current projects: Making a CTF map, Learning C++, Learning Programmer's Dvorak

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

There are some very competent builders around. Yet it takes time to create something beautiful, and time for most of us is short.

Competitions with a set theme can be a lot of fun. I wouldn't go to the point of assigning points and ranks and so on. It might be hard enough to decide which entry is "the best". Perhaps just a theme, a sufficiently long time frame, and a forum thread here to discuss the results? Some detailed feedback on more complex creations would be welcome. Also keep in mind that mods and texture packs may make a huge difference.

Some few servers may already held building competitions from time to time. Some players on the Landrush server did, and Hometown is known for that as well.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Brian Gaucher
GitHub: BrianGaucher
In-game: Camasia

by Brian Gaucher » Post

Any life?
Current projects: Making a CTF map, Learning C++, Learning Programmer's Dvorak

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

MattCommish wrote:Maybe the Minetest community is a bit small?
And what happens to the builds/map after ? deleted - worst case ... give them, the area free to copy on own servers ... and then maybe restart map ... or new game at new area ...

But spending time again in large builds, where I have no proof that that (map or even minetest itself) will be kept ... NO !
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)