Small Finite World for AI developement

Julien B.
New member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 21:03

Small Finite World for AI developement

by Julien B. » Mon Jun 18, 2018 21:14

Hi, I'm a complete beginner to the Minetest community that intend on using Minetest for AI development.

To begin playing with AI-related stuff, I wanted to build a small arena of finite size (say 30 blocks per 30 blocks), I've looked around but couldn't find any direct solution to this task, so here are my questions:

1. Should I build a new 'world', make it flat and finite by changing the init.lua file?
2. Should I build a mod, that forbid the player to walk more than 30 meters in any rectangular direction?
3. Should I generate an arena closed on all face with unbreakable bricks?

The last seems to be the more coherent and feasible.

Tell me what you think!
 

User avatar
Stix
Member
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
Location: USA
IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by Stix » Mon Jun 18, 2018 21:18

Julien B. wrote:Hi, I'm a complete beginner to the Minetest community that intend on using Minetest for AI development.

To begin playing with AI-related stuff, I wanted to build a small arena of finite size (say 30 blocks per 30 blocks), I've looked around but couldn't find any direct solution to this task, so here are my questions:

1. Should I build a new 'world', make it flat and finite by changing the init.lua file?
2. Should I build a mod, that forbid the player to walk more than 30 meters in any rectangular direction?
3. Should I generate an arena closed on all face with unbreakable bricks?

The last seems to be the more coherent and feasible.

Tell me what you think!

make a 30x30 platform in singenode
I'll be absent for a week.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php
 

User avatar
cHyper
Member
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 08:49
Location: Austria
GitHub: cHyper-0815OL
IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper
 

Skulls
Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 17:41
In-game: Skulls

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by Skulls » Mon Jun 18, 2018 23:06

Also be aware that Lua is the only modding language unless you want to start hacking in C++. Otherwise you have to either use HTTP APIs (but fairly limited do to security risks) or some shared folder / file style communication.

What kind of AI are you thinking of? High academic or something a bit more practical?
 

User avatar
Stix
Member
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
Location: USA
IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by Stix » Tue Jun 19, 2018 02:58

cHyper wrote:+1

Ugh stop this "+1" spamming already, this isn't the first time.
I'll be absent for a week.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php
 

User avatar
srifqi
Member
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 04:31
Location: Indonesia
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by srifqi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 03:11

You can use mapgen_limit setting to limit map generation.

1. Add this line to minetest.conf.
Code: Select all
mapgen_limit = 30


2. Create new world
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)
 

User avatar
Phoenixflo44
Member
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 15:01
Location: Behind my PC, in Germany
In-game: Phoenixflo44

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by Phoenixflo44 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 17:41

srifqi wrote:You can use mapgen_limit setting to limit map generation.

1. Add this line to minetest.conf.
Code: Select all
mapgen_limit = 30


2. Create new world


This can be used but the player can run away over the limit, but when you get back into the world and in the limit true then the player is reset.

My opinion is you should make a singenode map.
 

User avatar
texmex
Member
 
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 21:08
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by texmex » Tue Jun 19, 2018 18:04

Phoenixflo44 wrote:
srifqi wrote:You can use mapgen_limit setting to limit map generation.

1. Add this line to minetest.conf.
Code: Select all
mapgen_limit = 30


2. Create new world


This can be used but the player can run away over the limit, but when you get back into the world and in the limit true then the player is reset.

My opinion is you should make a singenode map.

No, there will be no nodes outside the limit to run on, it will be just like at 32000 or -32000. mapgen_limit is what you’re looking for.
 

hajo
Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:45
Location: DE

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by hajo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 18:37

Julien B. wrote:AI development .. build a small arena (say 30 blocks per 30 blocks),
couldn't find any direct solution

Have a look at mods/games like skyblock.

Each player gets his own small, empty 'island in the sky',
and needs to solve quests to get more stuff.

Could be adapted to your needs...

What kind of AI are you planning, what is it supposed to do ?
 

User avatar
paramat
Developer
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
Location: UK
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by paramat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 19:53

Srifqi is correct here, but it needs to be set to 63 otherwise no mapchunks generate. The result will be a world of 80^3 nodes, you can't have a world smaller than that.
 

User avatar
Wuzzy
Member
 
Posts: 3172
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 15:01
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by Wuzzy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 19:07

Yes, you should set mapgen_limit to 63. You can also set it in advanced settings.

This will force the world to be really small:
Image

Note this setting only affects NEW worlds. Existing worlds are not touched.



Fun fact: If you use a smaller value, Minetest does not generate any world at all. You can't even place blocks. Minetest should probably not allow values lower than 63.
My projects: MineClone 2. Hades Revisited. Help modpack. A ton of other mods, see here.
 

User avatar
Krock
Developer
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:48
Location: Switzerland
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by Krock » Sun Jun 24, 2018 19:21

<offtopic>
Wuzzy wrote:Fun fact: If you use a smaller value, Minetest does not generate any world at all. You can't even place blocks. Minetest should probably not allow values lower than 63.


That's intended for worlds like such that were recorded from a remote server. It prevents the map generator from generating more mapblocks into the world (which should be kept as-is). I don't know how different 0.4.x and 5.0.0-dev it will handle this situation, but in the latter you can explore existent mapblocks without being limited to what mapgen_limit says.

</offtopic>
Mod Search Engine - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>
 

User avatar
paramat
Developer
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
Location: UK
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: Small Finite World for AI developement

by paramat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 02:04

> Minetest should probably not allow values lower than 63.

The minimum value that still generates a mapchunk depends on the chosen mapchunk size.
 


Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Naj and 1 guest