Graphics vs content

voxelproof

Re: Graphics vs content

by voxelproof » Post

Astrobe wrote:The naïve, single-stat-enhancement sword generator can be better than you think depending on how you use it.

If:
- you place those swords in a treasure chest hidden in the depth of the mapgen'ed dungeons and you don't regenerate those chests,
- you don't allow to repair swords,

(in other words if there's a fixed number of those swords in a world for all its lifespan)

Then you have created a relative cheap way to have players generate quests by themselves: they will explore dungeons in search for the exceptional 95+ hit swords.

Moreover, players will quickly do the maths: they'll use the lesser swords against weak monster and reserve exceptional swords for more dangerous monsters. This creates additional minor gameplay aspects (wear both kind of swords or make sure you have your good sword with you if you go for a boss fight) and bargain opportunities in player-to-player trade. Bargains will evolve over time as more and more swords are discovered and then as more and more are broken. As a consequence, it will become more and more profitable to explore the world.

I would however make sure to use a normal (bell curve) distribution rather than the usual uniform distribution for maximum effect.
That's a good example and btw very interesting explanation how simple mechanics may be greatly improved using very simple means. I'd add, what haven't been discussed in this thread yet, that the whole thing is about proper balancing of the gameplay. Whether there're are to be naive or deep(obscure) rules, a player shouldn't ever feel that a game is too difficult or too easy, and they should create a "flow curve" of engagement. In your example the best way to achieve this would be to make the probabilities of finding a more powerful sword slightly higher than the probability of losing the game during the search.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Astrobe wrote:The naïve, single-stat-enhancement sword generator can be better than you think depending on how you use it.

If:
- you place those swords in a treasure chest hidden in the depth of the mapgen'ed dungeons and you don't regenerate those chests,
- you don't allow to repair swords,

(in other words if there's a fixed number of those swords in a world for all its lifespan)

Then you have created a relative cheap way to have players generate quests by themselves: they will explore dungeons in search for the exceptional 95+ hit swords.

Moreover, players will quickly do the maths: they'll use the lesser swords against weak monster and reserve exceptional swords for more dangerous monsters. This creates additional minor gameplay aspects (wear both kind of swords or make sure you have your good sword with you if you go for a boss fight) and bargain opportunities in player-to-player trade. Bargains will evolve over time as more and more swords are discovered and then as more and more are broken. As a consequence, it will become more and more profitable to explore the world.

I would however make sure to use a normal (bell curve) distribution rather than the usual uniform distribution for maximum effect.
Good notice. However, now the element that adds depth is not the sword generator but the rules of using them. I was actually speaking only about the sword generator, not about the game around it. The sword generator is still naïve and has no depth but the game introduces some obscure rules those add some depth. It's like this:

sword generator -> All swords exist in the way they are told to exist.
game as whole -> reserve better swords for stronger monsters, look for more swords, carry more swords at once …
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

I have created a discussion about game design in the "Game discussion" section: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=20617

A L T

by A L T » Post

I HATE shades and advanced effects I like it simple