Fix licensing issues.

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

Fix licensing issues.

by Joseph16 » Post

So right now there seem to be a lot of issues regarding minetest’s license. It can’t be released on the App Store legaly. Is there a way to get that fixed? Or is it a fixed thing where there is absolutely no way to make it legal on the iOS platform? Would it cost money? Maybe takes a long time? I’m not at all familiar with the license system for open source software. Also, MT has been ported to iOS by 3rd party developers. What would happen if those developers got caught? I really want an official minetest port for iOS!
Testin' mines since 1989

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Fix licensing issues.

by Krock » Post

Joseph13 wrote:It can’t be released on the App Store legaly. Is there a way to get that fixed?
Yes, ask Apple whether they would be so nice and make their App Store *GPL compatible. -> terms of service issue
Joseph13 wrote:Would it cost money?
That too. Apple would have to be paid so that our app can be published there.
Joseph13 wrote:Also, MT has been ported to iOS by 3rd party developers. What would happen if those developers got caught?
Could be sued for violating the license if they don't publish their code. Would be a handy way to fund Minetest projects if it wouldn't be that much effort.

See also: viewtopic.php?p=215506#p215506
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I don't see any justification in putting any effort into bringing Minetest to a very restrictive and closed 14-15 percent worldwide market share app store.

Joseph16

by Joseph16 » Post

Good point.
Testin' mines since 1989

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Let me put it this way:
The App Store doesn't deserve Minetest.

:D

Joseph16

by Joseph16 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Let me put it this way:
The App Store doesn't deserve Minetest.

:D
Agree
Testin' mines since 1989

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

I'm not familiar with the way apple (doesn't) work so what's to stop users from installing Minetest through other methods, on the desktop at least?

Joseph16

by Joseph16 » Post

AccidentallyRhine wrote:I'm not familiar with the way apple (doesn't) work so what's to stop users from installing Minetest through other methods, on the desktop at least?
Well you can’t just install apps from any source like windows. All the apps come from the App Store and they are in a .ipa format. There is no way(that I know of) to install .ipa files without the App Store. As for the Apple desktop, you can just download the macOS version of minetest.
Testin' mines since 1989

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

AccidentallyRhine wrote:I'm not familiar with the way apple (doesn't) work so what's to stop users from installing Minetest through other methods, on the desktop at least?
IIRC the app store's license limits the number of installations of an app, which is incompatible with the (L)GPL disallowing such restrictions.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Lejo
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

by Lejo » Post

What about embedding Minetest in an App with an allowed License?
Found idea here.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Lejo,

I think the distinction in that link refers to how much of an open source project is embedded within one's own project. If I connect to an OS library, for some trivial function, I think I'm covered as to redistributing an OS library within my own project, provided I link to the OS projects source. My own project is licensed as I see fit, since the MAJORITY of the project is my own work.

Wrapping an OS project in another project, simply to try to work around the licensing, is unethical, at the least. This is a clear violation of the license, since your work is derivative. Why is it derivative? How much of the project is your own work? The wrapper? Or the meat and potatoes?

Using MT as a library, to crunch voxels, for say, a middleware app connected to DB backend with a user facing client, is not derivative. In this case, it would be assumed that the bulk of your own app is something, does something, and is entirely out of context of using MT as anything other than a front end to a game engine.

Any and all apps that simply "wrap" an OS project, for the purpose of relicensing, is a clear violation of the license, the intent of the license, and can be prosecutable in some jurisdictions. Tread lightly, and get clear, proper, legal advise before redistributing anything other than your own content.

NOTE: (The following is my actual statement regarding legal disclaimers in a public forum. I am NOT anal. I am worse.)
I provide no disclaimers as to my status as an Attorney. Why? Two reasons. Free speech. I have not made any declarations regarding my status a professional, paid liar. Any other interpretations regarding the aforementioned statement are subject to MY correction and / or disregard. In my jurisdiction, I have the legal right to speak, to freely express opinions regarding any subject. My free speech is not an excuse for someone else to act. As such, I will not be held responsible for the actions one takes based on my opinions. Got a problem with that? Let's go to court. You'll be advised of where MY court of law exists, and where you will need to appear to make your case and then be promptly ignored and billed. All expenses incurred by me in entertainment of your complaint will be paid in full to me before you will be dismissed. Bring your wallet, and all relevant financial information. Still got an issue? Here's your disclaimer.

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:Wrapping an OS project in another project, simply to try to work around the licensing, is unethical, at the least. This is a clear violation of the license, since your work is derivative. Why is it derivative? How much of the project is your own work? The wrapper? Or the meat and potatoes?

Using MT as a library, to crunch voxels, for say, a middleware app connected to DB backend with a user facing client, is not derivative. In this case, it would be assumed that the bulk of your own app is something, does something, and is entirely out of context of using MT as anything other than a front end to a game engine.

Any and all apps that simply "wrap" an OS project, for the purpose of relicensing, is a clear violation of the license, the intent of the license, and can be prosecutable in some jurisdictions. Tread lightly, and get clear, proper, legal advise before redistributing anything other than your own content.
I think it’s all true what you said but the copyright holder can make exceptions!
It’s just important that the new License is not less strict.
I’m not an iOS developer so I don’t know how to do something just like a Minetest Launcher but I hope someone will do Minetest for iOS.

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

Lejo, ShadMOrdre:
Minetest is copyright-protected by all developers and contributors. Changing the license and/or adding exceptions would (I think) require that every developer and contributors agree - some people are dead now.

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

yw05 wrote:Lejo, ShadMOrdre:
Minetest is copyright-protected by all developers and contributors. Changing the license and/or adding exceptions would (I think) require that every developer and contributors agree - some people are dead now.
The texture Licensing is from different people but the code License is just:
Copyright (C) 2010-2018 celeron55, Perttu Ahola <celeron55@gmail.com>

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Lejo wrote:
yw05 wrote:Lejo, ShadMOrdre:
The texture Licensing is from different people but the code License is just:
Copyright (C) 2010-2018 celeron55, Perttu Ahola <celeron55@gmail.com>
This is not correct. The copyright is owned by a number of different people
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:This is not correct.
Have you read the official LICENSE.txt document recently (linked to the latest available version of the file as of posting this text)?

Media files are Copyright (C) 2010-2012 celeron55, Perttu Ahola <celeron55@gmail.com> if not specificially stated otherwise.

Minetest source code is Copyright (C) 2010-2018 celeron55, Perttu Ahola <celeron55@gmail.com>.

So either your perception of the legal situation is wrong, or the LICENSE.txt file is outdated.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The license file is outdated. I didn't sign any copyright waiver, therefore the copyright is still mine for the code I contributed under LGPLv2.1+
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

So there’s absolutely no way to work around the iOS-gpl rules?
Or are there other ones except ignoring the rule just like Multicraft does it?