Looking for Opportunities to Contribute

MadMartian
GitHub: MadMartian
In-game: Vonkepps

Looking for Opportunities to Contribute

by MadMartian » Post

Hello,

I am an experienced senior developer (25+ coding experience in Assembly/C/C++/Java/Scala/Perl/Python/Prolog (lol)).

I am a bit disillusioned by Minecraft modding mostly because fiddling with bytecode injection is an exercise in masochism and futility. Though I have been tremendously succesful modding Minecraft including some particular challenges such as modding a redston(ish) powered elevator that players, mobs and even items can path over. I've modded many other components but I am at the point where I think that continuing to invest in Minecraft is probably stupid.

So I am curious about contributing to Minetest. I've always wanted to develop my own creative voxel world survival game, but I see little reason NOT to join an existing effort instead particularly if it aligns with the things I love about the concept. My problem is I know almost nobody who is interested in gaming let alone an experienced game developer. Since 2008 I have wanted to play an ideal open-world creative sandbox survival sort of game but I have been unsuccessful gathering troops (or finding existing causes) to join in the effort. If you check my GitHub page you'll see an "OhTSM" project which was the foundation for this. I quickly realized that a solo effort on a project of this scale was futile at best.

I am curious about Minetest and I think I would enjoy modding / developing / contributing to this community more than Minecraft if only to do away with the silly bytecode injection nonsense (and code quality of the Vanilla source that makes any experienced coder's eyes bleed). Ultimately I simply want to see a game come to fruition that I would love to play. I don't care if that means I build it or someone else builds it or somewhere in between. I do know that I cannot accomplish this on my own despite all the silly starry-eyed notions of game development I inherited from the 90s era.

If any of this resonates with you, hit me up and let's just chat.
I love Minecraft and I love Dwarf Fortress. I wanted to create "Dwarves in Space" (lol) as a result.

Please also take a look at my Minecraft mod at http://gauss.extollit.com/minecraft for a general idea of what I can do. And some videos on my YouTube channel probably better illustrate what I can contribute: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDo0iUb7ipN6g4c7YLamMQA

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: Looking for Opportunities to Contribute

by texmex » Post

Hello and welcome to the Minetest community!

I’m just a simple modder pleb restricted to Lua dabbling, but I know that C++ contributors are very scarce in tge Minetest project. Your skillset should fit right in! As with any collaborative code project there’s a certain culture evolved around it.

My simple advice would be:
- Submerge yourself in the code
- Work on an existing C++ issue waiting to be solved. This way you’ll show your skills in practice.
- Have patience. Don’t let yourself be put off by attitude.
Last edited by texmex on Mon Aug 13, 2018 14:49, edited 2 times in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Hey, welcome! We're always looking for new contributors.

The usual route for contribution is modder -> engine contributor -> developer. The best way to learn modding is obviously using http://rubenwardy.com/minetest_modding_book/

The engine is pretty monolithic* and quite large, by necessity. You will have to have patience when learning your way around it, but it does get easier

Be sure to take a look at the developer road maps: viewforum.php?f=7

*- a lot of stuff is done in a Lua standard library called builtin, and most gameplay are in games like minetest game
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

And don't forget to play :)
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Hi, good to see your interest.
If you'd like to chat about Minetest development on IRC join the #minetest-dev channel on the Freenode network (webchat is blocked there you need a proper IRC client), the MT core devs can be found on this channel. There is also a general MT channel (for modding, game making etc.) at #minetest.

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Post

Help is needed to improve lighting and add shadows!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20622