CC-BY-SA replacement

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

CC-BY-SA replacement

by LMD » Post

I used to license (some) code under CC-BY-SA, but found out that it is not recommended(for code). Is there any similar license that works for software ? Thanks in advance.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: CC-BY-SA replacement

by Krock » Post

Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Can you (or a moderator) please move it ?
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

@Krock: As an alternative to CC BY-SA, you suggest …CC BY-SA!
Krock, genius move! 20/20! XD

@LMD: I don't know what exactly you mean with “similar”, but I think the copyleft (“share-alike”) clause is probably the most significant in this license.

The most popular free software licenses with copyleft are by far those of the GPL family:

- GNU General Public License
- GNU Lesser General Public License (weakest of the GPL family, still has copyleft, but with some exceptions)
- GNU Affero General Public License (strictest of the GPL family, not a common sight)

It's safe to say these licenses have stood the test of time so they should be a safe bet (BUT! You MUST understand them first!). There are a few other copyleft licenses, but they are used rarely. Look them up in the Internet to learn what those licenses do.
There's also an everlasting debate whether free software should be copylefted or not, but this is not the place to start it here.

Note: Although CC BY-SA is discouraged as software license, it's not really the end of the world. You should still switch if you can. If not, it sucks, but just a little bit. It's still better than being proprietary, after all. :-).

List of free software licenses:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... e_licenses

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Wuzzy wrote:@Krock: As an alternative to CC BY-SA, you suggest …CC BY-SA!
Krock, genius move! 20/20! XD
I think you missed my point. The first link was to show what conditions CC BY-SA has, so other licenses can be compared with it easily - although you cannot rely on these specs in a court.

By comparing AGPL, GPL and LGPL I noticed that the labels are identical or almost the same, so it will need further research to check which one might be the best choice for your project.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>