Obsolete? advspawning, animals, mobf_core, animalmaterials

SnarkBoojum

GitHub: SnarkBoojum

Obsolete? advspawning, animals, mobf_core, animalmaterials

by SnarkBoojum » Wed Aug 29, 2018 06:48

Hi,

the minetest mods mentioned in the topic are all from sapier, who cut the repositories in june when github was acquired by microsoft. Since then I have been unable to get in touch with him (see another topic I opened).

It's a problem for me because I packaged those mods for the Debian distribution, and the mods obviously won't work with newer minetest versions.

So I'm wondering if someone intents to pick up those and bring them back to life, or if I should pull the plug and ask the organisation to remove my packages.

Cheers!

Krock
Developer

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Obsolete? advspawning, animals, mobf_core, animalmateria

by Krock » Wed Aug 29, 2018 09:17

Searched for a while (thanks crappy forum search engine) until I found out that it was you who asked a very similar question which I had in mind: viewtopic.php?p=326746#p326746

The situation is still the same; minetest-mods could maybe pick them up, but only a few people are familiar with the code. Maybe it's time to switch to a more up-to-date mob framework, namely nssm or Mobs Redo.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly Ginkgoo

by Gael de Sailly » Wed Aug 29, 2018 13:04

animal_modpack/mobf is indeed extremely obsolete, becomes more and more difficult to use on recent Minetest versions. However, new players are invariably trying to use it (probably because its past popularity left traces) and experience many glitches, and by the way miss the most recent mob frameworks like Mobs Redo.

My opinion is that we shouldn't encourage new players to use animal_modpack, packaging it in Debian would be counterproductive.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Chiantos

by Chiantos » Wed Aug 29, 2018 16:05

Deleted message
Last edited by Chiantos on Mon Sep 30, 2019 04:48, edited 1 time in total.

SnarkBoojum

GitHub: SnarkBoojum

by SnarkBoojum » Wed Sep 05, 2018 06:18

Ok, let's ask for removal. I'll see if I can package something better & not abandoned.

Return to General Discussion