Minetest.net gallery

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

Minetest.net gallery

by DrFrankenstone » Post

When I go to Minetest.net it doesn't jump out as a beautiful game to try above the next.

The screenshots on the landing page are the original ones Calinou used to fill the gallery section 3 years ago. Their purpose may have been to spotlight a few of the features and variety, but that gallery has an opportunity to showcase some of the best of the best, and I've seen some pretty compelling screenshots.

I'm happy to just put in a pull-request for one or two changes and have it either rejected or merged, but not everyone is drawn to the same thing, so at the risk of bikeshedding, or being blind to someone's existing thematic design... are there screenshots more suitable for the frontpage of minetest.net? Is there a set of features the frontpage gallery is attempting to show?

Here are two nominations that make me want to play the game and be in the world:
VanessaE's More Trees screenshot - this one is older than the gallery :), and thumbnails nicely:

Hume2 playing with Aotearoa and terrainbrot (coords+seed mean I can reshoot at gallery res with FSAA):

The "Meet Minetest" banner backdrop is also drab, but it has to be to not detract from the text, so if there's a very dark yet still compelling screenshot out there...

Edit: I see it was being discussed a while ago in issue 78
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Thu Sep 20, 2018 08:09, edited 5 times in total.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: Minetest.net gallery bikeshedding

by Linuxdirk » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:The screenshots on the landing page are ...
... horribly depressing and dark.

Same goes for all of the gallery pictures.

We have a metric shit-ton of awesome screenshots in the forums. Too bad no-one ever will add any of them to the page.

Shara
GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

Re: Minetest.net gallery

by Shara » Post

A PR would help, if anyone feels like seriously working on it.

However I strongly recommended reading that issue carefully before doing so, and making sure any requirements/recommendations made by the team are followed to avoid wasting your time. It is not as straightforward as picking some random pretty screenshots.

Mohrajabi05
In-game: Moh_rj

Re: Minetest.net gallery

by Mohrajabi05 » Post

i want to use your screenshot for my new game :)))
urminaca.github.io

do you have any problem?