How to pick a license (in under 5 minutes time!)

Fixer

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

ShallowDweller

Re: How to pick a license (in under 5 minutes time!)

by ShallowDweller » Wed Nov 14, 2018 03:32

@sofar: Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions :)

sofar wrote:It is a public domain attribution, and this is generally not applicable in many countries. This makes it unwanted.
That's sad to hear :( Maybe it'll change in the very distant and utopic future?

sofar wrote:Ask a lawyer. Seriously though, this is one of the problems of MIT. As long as this is unclear, you need to rely on legal precedent, and that is unwanted. This is why I prefer ISC myself.
Thanks! I guess I'll start using ISC for code then. (I know my patience to browse trough specialized sites for something else won't last long)

stu

GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Sat Nov 24, 2018 17:32

Thank you for sharing this @sofar, it has certainly made me think a bit more about how I should license things. Up to now I have mostly just used LGPL for code and cc-by-sa (or similar) for media because that is what MT uses, however, I have been leaning toward MIT more recently.

Something I am still a little uncertain about are the laws regarding changing an existing license, especially if others have contributed. Would I need the approval of every contributor to say change from LGPL to ISC?

sofar
Developer

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 19:27

stu wrote:Something I am still a little uncertain about are the laws regarding changing an existing license, especially if others have contributed. Would I need the approval of every contributor to say change from LGPL to ISC?

Yes, absolutely, since the LGPL does not permit relicensing to anything more permissive. You can relicense from LGPL to any GPL license, but not to MIT/ISC/BSD.

Relicensing is something to be really careful about, especially if you have external contributions. It's always best to ask permission, and explain your motivation of course.

stu

GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Sat Nov 24, 2018 20:40

sofar wrote:Relicensing is something to be really careful about, especially if you have external contributions. It's always best to ask permission, and explain your motivation of course.

Thanks for the reply, I had kinda guessed as much but this does highlight the importance of taking the time to choose the right licence before making a release :)

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Wed Dec 12, 2018 09:48

Maybe soneone mentioned this, but cc-by-sa wpuld apppy to modifications on the server since it getsbsent to the cliiemt.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

sofar
Developer

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 22:56

Byakuren wrote:Maybe soneone mentioned this, but cc-by-sa wpuld apppy to modifications on the server since it getsbsent to the cliiemt.

No, this is likely incorrect and not a proper understanding of the difference between "distributing" and "showing".

All images on e.g. any website are copyrighted and you are not bound to specific licenses by just clicking on a website and loading the image in your browser. In the same way, logging into a minetest server doesn't necessarily give the user extra rights.

This is a very gray area and I do not know of any legal precedent or laws that would decide this one way or another, but many companies have successfully asserted their rights of material that web servers give freely to web browsers.

By extension, you can't assert that if I modify a CC-BY-SA work and put it on my server, that I am distributing it according to the same way as someone who uploads it to github. They are not the same thing.

So, I would strongly suggest to use AGPL on code. Artwork has no real way to prevent this, you'd have to -ND-NC it pretty much, and even then it's not a full cover.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Dec 12, 2018 23:37

sofar wrote:Artwork has no real way to prevent this, you'd have to -ND-NC it pretty much, and even then it's not a full cover.

Slap a big ol' watermark on the tilesheet and be done with it... Ship the clean one to those who cough up a bit of green :P
I'm not your buddy, guy...

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Fri Dec 14, 2018 21:31

sofar wrote:
Byakuren wrote:Maybe soneone mentioned this, but cc-by-sa wpuld apppy to modifications on the server since it getsbsent to the cliiemt.

No, this is likely incorrect and not a proper understanding of the difference between "distributing" and "showing".

All images on e.g. any website are copyrighted and you are not bound to specific licenses by just clicking on a website and loading the image in your browser. In the same way, logging into a minetest server doesn't necessarily give the user extra rights.

This is a very gray area and I do not know of any legal precedent or laws that would decide this one way or another, but many companies have successfully asserted their rights of material that web servers give freely to web browsers.

By extension, you can't assert that if I modify a CC-BY-SA work and put it on my server, that I am distributing it according to the same way as someone who uploads it to github. They are not the same thing.

So, I would strongly suggest to use AGPL on code. Artwork has no real way to prevent this, you'd have to -ND-NC it pretty much, and even then it's not a full cover.

For copyright (in the US) if you receive the image you are bound by the default Berne-convention-specified rights unless a license is specified. However, this isn't about the restrictions or rights given to the viewer of the image, but the restrictions on the sender (the server). CC-BY-SA requires anyone redistributing the material to do so under the same license.

If restrictions on redistribution could not be enforced on images distributed just for display, then artists wouldn't be successfully having their artwork removed from websites for redistributing them without permission (something that would be restricted under default copyright terms or other licenses meant to support commercial sale of licenses). I'm not a lawyer and I don't know any specific precedent / law that governs this, but if redistribution can be disallowed entirely in this situation, then it would make sense to me that redistribution not under a specified license could also be disallowed.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Previous

Return to General Discussion