Setting up a dedicated linux (ubuntu) server

dannydark

Setting up a dedicated linux (ubuntu) server

by dannydark » Post

Ok....I'm officially confused I've got the source and have compiled the game client on windows (vs10), now I have a vps server which I would like to make a dedicated minetest server.

When I read the running your own server page...it just said "On Linux, there is minetestserver. Just fire that up on the command line." ok...so where do I get the minetestserver? Its not in the compiled sources :S

Also when you say fire it up on command line, is it an exe file? if so I will need mono correct?

Sorry for being a noob...just would really like to get a dedicated server up for me and my friends so we don't have to leave someone's pc on.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

After I compiled minetest, there was a folder called "bin" in the same folder as the source. Inside "bin" there are two programs: minetest and minetestserver. Do you have the "bin" folder? If so running the "minetestserver" program from the command line should launch the server.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

ahh figured out what I had done, when I used cmake I didn't check "server" lol :)

so yeh it produced a exe file I'm guessing that I will need to install mono on my ubuntu server to run that?

bcmpinc

by bcmpinc » Post

Nope. You should install build-essentials and some of the dependencies of minetest on your server and compile the game there. That will give you a minetestserver binary that you can run on your server.

glomie

by glomie » Post

dannydark wrote:ahh figured out what I had done, when I used cmake I didn't check "server" lol :)

so yeh it produced a exe file I'm guessing that I will need to install mono on my ubuntu server to run that?
No, download ubuntu version, or recompile.
Sorry for my bad english...

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

ahh great :) okies will do that thanks for your help :D

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Got my server setup and been having fun building onit :D thanks everyone for your help, I have noticed a warning that keeps popping up don't know if its something I've done

WARNING: ServerEnv: Could not find a block for storing newly added static active object