Is Hytale the Minetest/Minecraft killer?

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

Is Hytale the Minetest/Minecraft killer?

by Neuromancer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 16:06

My jaw dropped when I saw this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-oIDivm5I Hytale has a bunch of built in tools that make modding and scripting easy for the end user, and incredible graphics, mobs, and gameplay. This looks legit. Is this the death of Minetest and Minecraft?

TheReaperKing

Re: Is Hytale the Minetest/Minecraft killer?

by TheReaperKing » Sat Dec 22, 2018 16:36

I like the graphics and concept of it.

Aren't most, if not all of those features possible in Minetest? If not, what ones wouldn't Minetest be able to do?

Thanks!
-Mike
Resources on happiness and life management - http://MikesHappyPlace.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Sat Dec 22, 2018 20:00

Neuromancer wrote:My jaw dropped when I saw this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-oIDivm5I

It doesn't look like the MC killer, but the MC slasher. Graphics exceeds in excellency of its perfectly balanced pallette and smoothly moving elaborate models anything I've seen in different MC videos. Unless Hytale development team is prone to corruption it poses grave threat to the Mojang's greybeard.

However, as far as Minetest is concerned, one should ask 3 questions:

- is Hytale an open source project?
- is it free?
- how large are its worlds and do they feature really realistic terrain (e.g. waterfalls, running rivers and huge, tall mountains), and most importantly are they going to be customizable? In other words, what is the average age of the target group of end-users?

If the answer for any of the first two is "no", or the target group is constrained to the youngest kids (as it seems judging by the promotional videos) than obviously and definitely Hytale is not and will never be any rival to MT.

And I think that, so far, we are talking solely the hype incited by a few nice videos, not a game itself.
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>

v-rob

GitHub: v-rob

by v-rob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 22:13

Definitely not. I'm not leaving Minetest even if there is a better, open-source, fancier, more developed alternative. I like Minetest and its community, and I wouldn't leave it for anything else.

orwell

In-game: orwell

by orwell » Sat Dec 22, 2018 22:46

I won't do either. If I would, more than 2 years of hard work would be wasted. I guess it's the same with most of the devs in here.
As judging from the faqs, hytale is apparently not open-source, and whether it's free to play is not decided/announced yet
https://hytale.com/news/2018/11/hytale-faq
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

v-rob

GitHub: v-rob

by v-rob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 22:55

As to whether it's open source:

Hytale FAQ wrote:Hytale runs on a proprietary, custom-built engine.

Hytale FAQ also wrote:We will not permit modifications to the client itself

I think this clearly and definitively says "We are not open-source."

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sun Dec 23, 2018 00:15

Neuromancer wrote:My jaw dropped when I saw this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-oIDivm5I Hytale has a bunch of built in tools that make modding and scripting easy for the end user, and incredible graphics, mobs, and gameplay. This looks legit. Is this the death of Minetest and Minecraft?

Nah, MS will buy it for 6 billion and kill it.
It does look as good as a console game but, all these previews I've seen look more like animations (short animated movies like others have done related to minecraft), and I'm not sure they are of "actual ingame/game play" visuals
If this is the case, they will have killed the game before it even takes off. It would be very deceitful but, that is just what these videos seem to be to me.

btw, nice to see you around
I'm not your buddy, guy...

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 01:46

No, good new things don't kill, just add choices.

solars

by solars » Sun Dec 23, 2018 09:47

Definitively not a Minetest killer.

- Not open Source
- Client will not run on Linux

In the Videos, the Game has very high visual range. Minetest runs at slow PCs too. What Graphic Card is needed for Hytale?

A MineCraft Killer? Possibly.
A Minetest Killer? Never!
My big Minetest map Karsthafen: English thread / German thread / Youtube

BirgitLachner

In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Sun Dec 23, 2018 20:40

It looks like the story mode. Something like an adventure.

Should be possible at Minetest, more or less, too.

migdyn

GitHub: migdyn
In-game: migdyn

by migdyn » Sun Dec 23, 2018 22:43

voxelproof wrote:- how large are its worlds and do they feature really realistic terrain (e.g. waterfalls, running rivers and huge, tall mountains), and most importantly are they going to be customizable? In other words, what is the average age of the target group of end-users?

Somewhere around 10 years old probably. HyTale was written by Hypixel Corporation. They also have a Minecraft server which is obviously aimed at kids

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Tue Dec 25, 2018 00:24

Ah the 'killer' thing is from the video, and Antvenom is quoting stereotypical hype from elsewhere: "What's being coined as a potential Minecraft killer".
The usual specially-rendered scenes, very little true in-game footage. This deceptive mainstream hype is irritatng.

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Tue Dec 25, 2018 05:51

IMHO we will be pleasantly surprised that said "specially-rendered scenes" are the actual game footage. Among the list of special tools is a movie maker, hinting that high level good-looking scenes could be a reality in the actual game. I'm only hoping though. What sells it for me is the mobs; I aim to make mobs that look that good (though this is only a texture/model and API-handling thing, certainly achievable in Minetest). I plan to recreate that epic yeti throwing a piece of earth.
My YuTube channel | I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. | Click here to see my (5) mods!

runs

GitHub: runsy

by runs » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:17

Minecraft is legend. Its golden age passed but its trail will remain ever (like Doom).

Minetest is the ugly duckling in this story. Much remains to be done.

Hytale is cool and the expectation is big. See what's left at the end.

And graphics are not important to voxel games...

Skamiz Kazzarch

In-game: Skamiz

Re: The answer to such questions will allways be NO!

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Tue Dec 25, 2018 19:06

Klickbaity title is clickbaity.
And that's all I have to say to this.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Tue Dec 25, 2018 19:12

Looking at the creators background it’s very likely that this will be a closed-source Windows-only game targeted at 8-12 years old kids.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Tue Dec 25, 2018 20:40

Minecraft is legend. Its golden age passed but its trail will remain ever (like Doom).

It obviously set a new genre, like Rogue in early 80's, however there're relatively few other instances of this kind of voxel games (I mean more or less complete projects, not great demos like, say, Mythruna which btw has gfx strongly resembling that of Hytale).

Minetest is the ugly duckling in this story. Much remains to be done.

Forever young ;)

And graphics are not important to voxel games...

Partially true, but certainly not to the extent seen e.g. in roguelikes which sometimes are fully enjoyable even in ASCII mode. Good graphics after all is important given the voxel nature of the worlds is at odds with our innate expectations considering the spacial environments of our in-game activity. It's essential to provide such textures and lighting that in a way 'smooth' rugged and highly unnatural blocky shapes giving them appearance of low-res images of believable vistas.

And since Hytale visibly goes towards high-quality graphics this may cause certain discrepancy with the cubic grid which at some point may give the feeling of an obstruction to immersiveness, or its artificiallity may become more distracting as a backgroung for high quality visual effects.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Tue Dec 25, 2018 22:19

voxelproof wrote:Partially true, but certainly not to the extent seen e.g. in roguelikes which sometimes are fully enjoyable even in ASCII mode. Good graphics after all is important given the voxel nature of the worlds is at odds with our innate expectations considering the spacial environments of our in-game activity. It's essential to provide such textures and lighting that in a way 'smooth' rugged and highly unnatural blocky shapes giving them appearance of low-res images of believable vistas.

And since Hytale visibly goes towards high-quality graphics this may cause certain discrepancy with the cubic grid which at some point may give the feeling of an obstruction to immersiveness, or its artificiallity may become more distracting as a backgroung for high quality visual effects.

ya... what they said.
xD
I'm not your buddy, guy...

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Wed Dec 26, 2018 03:21

I hope it isn't just hype, I think it looks pretty good.

It might diminish MC game sales as it would be a direct competitor for them;
but Minetest would still be the best open source alternative to both of them.

migdyn

by migdyn » Wed Dec 26, 2018 20:38

All quotes come from the HyTale FAQ
What platforms will Hytale be released on?

Hytale will launch for PC and Mac, with the capacity to run game servers on Linux. We’ll explore the possibility of releasing the game on other platforms during development, but for now our focus is on PC and Mac.

That means that this game will be for Windows and OSX only.
What age rating is Hytale?

Hytale is not yet rated, but we’re aiming for T for Teen.

My assumptions were right. HyTale will be aimed at 13-18 year olds

Will you have parental controls built into the game?

Hytale will include a comprehensive set of tools that will allow account holders to limit access to online play and custom content. However, as with every online game, we encourage parents to pay attention to the content that their children are consuming as well as their interactions with others online.

Wait, what? Parental controls?

What engine does Hytale run on?

Hytale runs on a proprietary, custom-built engine. We were unable to find any off-the-shelf engines that were suitable for our vision of a high-end blockgame
That means it's not going to be free software.

Will you support modding?

Yes. Hytale was made with creators in mind and includes a comprehensive collection of tools that grant players more creative power than ever, from model creation and animation to filmmaking, in-game scripting, and - of course - building with blocks.
However, to combat abuse we will not permit modifications to the client itself. With the amount of freedom you are given with Hytale’s toolset, however, you won’t need to do so. Having a single version of the game to support makes things easier for us as developers, too.

By "freedom" they probably mean ROBLOX-like GUI tools for making mods by dragging some kind of blocks around (Like in Scratch)

Summary: Minetest will be a Windows and OSX only nonfree game aimed at 15 year olds similar to ROBLOX. Writing mods is not going to be a thing. You'll have to use a proprietary program similar to scratch to make mods. At least that's what I think. My predictions are based om what the FAQ says so teay may be pretty accurate.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

migdyn

by migdyn » Thu Dec 27, 2018 02:31

Oh, and also it will probably be only availabe on Steam. Hypixel goes Steamworks bye bye always on DRM

orwell

In-game: orwell

by orwell » Thu Dec 27, 2018 21:42

migdyn wrote:Summary: Minetest will be a Windows and OSX only nonfree game aimed at 15 year olds similar to ROBLOX. Writing mods is not going to be a thing. You'll have to use a proprietary program similar to scratch to make mods. At least that's what I think. My predictions are based om what the FAQ says so teay may be pretty accurate.

ehm... :)
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly Ginkgoo

by Gael de Sailly » Sun Dec 30, 2018 13:19

I don't see how Hytale could be a Minetest killer if Minecraft isn't.
Contributor of Minetest and OpenStreetMap, on Ubuntu 16.04. ~ ~ ~ Meet me on MinetestForFun, VanessaE's Basic, Capture the Flag and Inside the Box.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Tue Jan 01, 2019 18:10

Gael de Sailly wrote:I don't see how Hytale could be a Minetest killer if Minecraft isn't.

Brilliant :))

Happy New Year to developers, modders and common users.

Next

Return to General Discussion