Is Hytale the Minetest/Minecraft killer?

QuoteMasterN

GitHub: QuoteMasterN
IRC: QuoteMasterN
In-game: QuoteMasterN

Re: Is Hytale the Minetest/Minecraft killer?

by QuoteMasterN » Fri Jan 04, 2019 00:19

I don't really understand the whole games killing other games thing. There's been a lot of games that were supposed to kill minecraft (whatever that means for a game you can play in singleplayer), but it's still one of the most popular games of all time. Minetest also seems like a game that can't really die.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Fri Jan 04, 2019 04:04

QuoteMasterN wrote:I don't really understand the whole games killing other games thing. There's been a lot of games that were supposed to kill minecraft (whatever that means for a game you can play in singleplayer), but it's still one of the most popular games of all time. Minetest also seems like a game that can't really die.

I agree. I suppose MC developers may perceive Minetest and other games that share the playerbase with MC as 'parasites' at best, but the sheer number of mods, texture packs and other assets makes Minecraft an everlasting phenomenon. The only real 'killer' of Minecraft is M$ which is premeditatedly burying it in childlike sandbox. After all Minecraft is a parasite, too -- the one of the video games industry, in which M$ games take significant share.
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>

SuchTea

In-game: SuchTea

by SuchTea » Fri Jan 04, 2019 13:47

Probably won't "kill" anything. Hytale is more likely to attract a significant amount of players because it's new, looks nice, and is expected to run smoothly. Minetest and Minecraft are already here and have active communities that are there for what they offer and are progressing toward offering. Hytale has yet to satisfy any users with actual game content, so their impact on any user experiences is limited. Any failure to impress is likely to make users and potential users ambivalent.
I think if they can impress users in any aspect of the game, with the "kindof fresh new gaming opportunity", then they have a likely bright future ahead. It all comes down to whether they can give the users what they expected from all the hype. The performance, the graphics, the customization etc. If it falls short of what users can get elsewhere from already existing sources, then many the initial users will be disappointed and the negative reviews will flow through the streets up to the horse's bridles.
Not to mention how many voxel-based games start with opinions levied against them simply due to Minecraft's legacy; the parasitism idea is likely to follow them. (Though honestly their demographic might actually really like that, and they have somewhat indirectly leaned into the idea of being Minecraft 2)
But it's a hard choice as both Minetest and Hytale offer a sumptuous array of exotic devs.
If it's free to play and get most of the game's experiences it is very likely going to affect Minecraft, but I don't see it negatively affecting Minetest significantly.
Then again, i have absolutely no statistics or facts, so what i'm saying is both unsupported and untrustworthy. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ironically, I actually didn't know Minetest even existed until I found it while searching for information on Hytale.

migdyn

GitHub: migdyn
In-game: migdyn

by migdyn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 16:04

SuchTea wrote:Ironically, I actually didn't know Minetest even existed until I found it while searching for information on Hytale.
So you found out about Minetest from Hytale?

SuchTea

In-game: SuchTea

by SuchTea » Fri Jan 04, 2019 16:30

migdyn wrote:
SuchTea wrote:Ironically, I actually didn't know Minetest even existed until I found it while searching for information on Hytale.
So you found out about Minetest from Hytale?

Yeah, I was browsing for information about what programming/scripting language Hytale's mods would be written in and this exact forum thread came up on the first page of google results. Took a few seconds to realize it wasn't Hytale, but it took me slightly longer to realize this was a forum for an entirely different application and not just a minecraft server named "Minetest".

Which presents us with the idea of mentioning Hytale enough to keep this thread higher in google relevancy to Hytale searches and get people looking at us :P

migdyn

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 02:10

> IMHO we will be pleasantly surprised that said "specially-rendered scenes" are the actual game footage. Among the list of special tools is a movie maker, hinting that high level good-looking scenes could be a reality in the actual game.

A movie maker is not for standard gameplay, so if included it is not in-game footage, only for creating pre-scripted scenes not rendered in real time.

90% of that video is specially rendered scripted scenes and it's irritating seeing people react to that when it's irrelevant to the actual game experience.
Having most of a game promotional video specially rendered scripted scenes is unfortunately a very common mainstream promotional deception, maybe they feel they have to play dirty because anyone else is, but it reflects on them in a bad way and loses a lot of my respect.

You can tell what is in-game footage as it looks more like MC, but with a smoothly gliding/panning camera used.

Hype-tale by Hype-excel.

The player models are far less likable than MC/MT because they are more detailed and more realistic. They've added knees and elbows which looks awkward and creepy. Read up on 'uncanny valley' for what i mean.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:32

paramat wrote:The player models are far less likable than MC/MT because they are more detailed and more realistic. They've added knees and elbows which looks awkward and creepy. Read up on 'uncanny valley' for what i mean.

That's the point. Exactly the same issue as with once hyped "Super-Duper" graphics in MC. Voxel/blocky grid predetermines certain graphics characteristics which, to go well along this low-poly visuals simply shouldn't go down to very realistic details.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 20:03

Some thoughts after skimming:

Graphics are very important to voxel and low res games, in fact I'd say that making the most of your graphics is the most important thing for these. What is not important is photorealistic graphics, but rather stylized usage of graphics technology.

The Minetest engine is capable of most big features I've seen with Hytale, we just can't hot-swap node definitions quite yet (you'd have to rejoin the server).

I actually think much of the art style looks like crap, there is too much "stuff" on the player and mob textures that is just noise. I'm all for packing detail into pixel art but that detail needs to actually mean something.

I think making a commercial game based on a dying genre is a bad idea, it'd be like releasing something another FPS series after we already have a ton. (Game genre in this case refers to sandbox survival RPG voxel games)

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Sun Jan 06, 2019 21:51

benrob0329 wrote:I actually think much of the art style looks like crap, there is too much "stuff" on the player and mob textures that is just noise. I'm all for packing detail into pixel art but that detail needs to actually mean something.

I wouldn't say it's a crap, the mobs look great and they suit perfectly children's penchants. Btw it shows the target group are not just kids, but younger ones -- it seems to me that it is definitely designed specifically for 7-9 years old.
However terrain generation looks, well, very poor:
https://www.hytale.com/news/2019/1/worl ... troduction

"Another missed opportunity".

I think making a commercial game based on a dying genre is a bad idea, it'd be like releasing something another FPS series after we already have a ton. (Game genre in this case refers to sandbox survival RPG voxel games)

The genre is declining in popularity, that's true, but it will never die, at least as long as roguelikes and fps's are still played.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 22:58

Oh I don't think the genre is going away anytime soon, nor do I think it should. It just needs some "fresh life" and new takes on it.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sun Jan 06, 2019 23:39

voxelproof wrote:However terrain generation looks, well, very poor:
https://www.hytale.com/news/2019/1/worl ... troduction

I actually like the concept of different biomes having different underground styles.

https://www.hytale.com/m/5c2fe72d77b784 ... search.jpg

The rest looks like pretty basic world generation with higher variation than v7, but nothing special.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Mon Jan 07, 2019 16:09

benrob0329 wrote:Oh I don't think the genre is going away anytime soon, nor do I think it should. It just needs some "fresh life" and new takes on it.

Open world voxel sandboxes will certainly evolve over time, if only there're any active projects not controlled by The Big Corpo left. What we can see now are just small preliminary prefigurations of what may come in the future.

migdyn

migdyn

by migdyn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 13:51

I found this MC Modpack which recreates Hytale and I will try to find an write mods that will be similar to the ones on the mod list. https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projec ... ytale-pack
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU TO CONNECT TO THAT PAGE WITH JAVASCRIPT DISABLED AS IT PROBABLY HAS MALICIOUS JS FOR SPYING ON YOU.

migdyn

by migdyn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 17:29

Mod List for MineTale (Hi Tayl (Mispelled to avoid trademark infrigment) in Minetest)
Animania - mobs_redo_animals, other mobs_redo mods
Better Foliage - plantlike_leaves
Biome Bundle - lib_ecology, lib_materials
Blockcraftery - [...]
Conquest Reforged - xdecor
CoralReef - sea
dotHack Weapons - migs_weapons [WiP]
Dynamic Surroundings - [...]
Dynamic Trees - [...]
Electroblob's Wizardry - home_decor (WILL BE REPLACED IN THE FUTURE)
Exotic Birds - [...]
Just a Few Fish - [...]
OreLib - MoreOres
Shadowfact's Forgelin - [...]
Streams - [...]
Worley's Caves - underch, cavestuff

Previous

Return to General Discussion