I am back, intermittently, what is new?

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

I am back, intermittently, what is new?

by jordan4ibanez » Post

Just like the title says, what has changed in the past 2-3 years?
I've been gone for a long time

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

Re: I am back, intermittently, what is new?

by Napiophelios » Post

Well...
Minetest Game has butterflies,fireflies, endless apples, and nicer corals for the ocean floors (thnx to Shara).
TumeniNodes has convinced the devs on several occasions to clutter the creative inventory with rail extensions and oddly shaped stairs made from every material in the game.
Sofar and Nore created the Inside the Box game.....and have recently shared the code for it.
Wuzzy's Mineclone2 is progressing nicely.
JP has made several changes to his craft guide mod that fits well with the default inventory.
And....I quit smoking cigarettes about 3 months ago.

What's up with you?
You back to put some polish on that Open AI?

edit: oops, misspelled Wuzzy's name
Last edited by Napiophelios on Wed Dec 26, 2018 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

v-rob
GitHub: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

There's a lot to say, so I'll say some of it and hope other people can say some of the things I haven't.

Minetest 5.0.0 is the next major update on the roadmap (Yep, it's 5.0.0, not 0.5.0 -- the devs changed that), and many new features have already been completed, with others still in the works and still others on the list of things to do. No one knows for sure when it's coming out, so don't hope for it any time soon.

Besides the ton of fancy updates, Minetest will come built in with a mod content database, so mods can be downloaded directly from the Minetest client. People need to add their mods to it themselves, though. It was made by Rubenwardy and can be found at https://content.minetest.net/.

Well, it's late and I can't think very well, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

v-rob wrote:There's a lot to say, so I'll say some of it and hope other people can say some of the things I haven't.

Minetest 5.0.0 is the next major update on the roadmap (Yep, it's 5.0.0, not 0.5.0 -- the devs changed that), and many new features have already been completed, with others still in the works and still others on the list of things to do. No one knows for sure when it's coming out, so don't hope for it any time soon.

Besides the ton of fancy updates, Minetest will come built in with a mod content database, so mods can be downloaded directly from the Minetest client. People need to add their mods to it themselves, though. It was made by Rubenwardy and can be found at https://content.minetest.net/.
But the core devs declared themselves they would release 5.0.0 in January, however exact data has not been appointed yet. So the release will be soon.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

We didn't declare January, we never state a release date because it depends on completing the blocking issues and PRs.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

paramat wrote:… we never state a release …
It was stated here. And you know it was. It just was removed because the release date was not fulfillable. If I remember correctly it was stated to release 0.5.0 (or as it is now called “5.0.0”) in December 2017.

Also it is stated here, saying that release can be expected before end of January 2019.

Back to topic. The Most relevant changes from 0.4.14 (2016) to 0.4.17.1 (2018) are those in my opinion:
  • Enable mod_security by default
  • Add private node meta to prevent some informations to be leaked to client
  • Introduction of alpha-quality client-side modding (see the tons of GitHub issues and forum discussions)
  • Sneaking changes (also heavily discussed because this fixes a widely used bug)
  • Add /clearinv chat command
  • Refine movement anticheat
  • Inventory: Restrict access from too far away
  • Add server option to remove color codes from chat messages
  • Correct character encoding for chat_send_player and chat_send_all
With the new version 0.5.0 a bogus version number (5.0.0) will be used as base. This “5.0.0” version will also be a “breaking release” (but only breaking very minor things) and will be the largest update since 0.4.13.

https://dev.minetest.net/Changelog