Should MT have a regular release schedule?

Casimir

GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

Should MT have a regular release schedule?

by Casimir » Mon Feb 25, 2019 21:51

I have been using Minetest since 0.4.3. And it seems like for every version, releasing is a huge hurdle to overcome. I'm not involved in the process and only see it from the outside. But what I see is that each update is delayed by months, if not years.

Personally, I just "git pull" and "make" - and the game is usable. So why don't just have regular updates? For example half a year.
Five month after the last update feature freeze starts automatically, no need to set goals. Then when everything runs smoothly, the new version is released.
If it becomes a regular thing, without any pressure, then releasing becomes easy and things can be automated more.

Another benefit would be to have more user input and mods be more up to date.

runs

GitHub: runsy

Re: Should MT have a regular release schedule?

by runs » Mon Feb 25, 2019 22:18

Yes, every 1-2 years like Debian does.
Day 3 of the quarantine

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 22:59

Before 5.0.0, we released twice a year - typically June and December

Festus1965

In-game: Thomas Explorer Thailand

by Festus1965 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 01:09

rubenwardy wrote:Before 5.0.0, we released twice a year - typically June and December

This is often enough,
mainly now i guess it is only fix major bugs, or increase speed by optimizing
as the base engine is not changed, and does not need then a long "programming" time of 2 years,
and every 6 month to update my server, if needed or helpful is ok
Server: still up, see some gamer - but there is a new 1st important thread "climate change" for me.

Hume2

GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 06:09

Keep in mind this. There are three groups of people. Some people want big updates, some people want quick updates and some people want bugfixes. And you can satisfy only two groups at once. It's all about finding a good compromise.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Tue Feb 26, 2019 07:54

Casimir wrote:So why don't just have regular updates? For example half a year.

This won't work with Minetest development. The Release date for 5.0.0 was moved forward at least 3 times already due to newly found bugs and the lack of manpower and time to work on them. Having a strict release cycle would simply cause more work than it would help anyone having the current dev situation in mind.

Festus1965

In-game: Thomas Explorer Thailand

by Festus1965 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 09:26

just simple,
* for major release like 6.0 is no date, that will be announced like could be (time) as of working in important updates
* for main upgrades, wish list 5.1 like all 3 or 6 months, to get a stable version
* for bug-fix can take 5.1.1 as was important to repair
and as realize the difficult of get bug-free and stable, there should be a cut for new wish some x weeks, months before the bug, upgrade or final versions date to make sure working on less but sure repair fixes instead ...
Server: still up, see some gamer - but there is a new 1st important thread "climate change" for me.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:16

Festus1965 wrote:the difficult of get bug-free and stable, there should be a cut for new wish some x weeks, months before the bug, upgrade or final versions

We're in feature freeze for 5.0.0 since January. Imagine a nearly one quarter long feature freeze before every update.

The current release cycle is not optimal but that is the best we can have with current dev power.

v-rob

GitHub: v-rob

by v-rob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 23:51

I think the MT devs should take as much time as they need to make Minetest good. If it takes a few years for Minetest 5.0 to come out, so what? If it turns out well, I think it's well worth the wait.

It would be nice to have quick updates, but large game-breaking bugs might pop up and we would have angry people coming on the forums and complaining about it. So I'm all in for whatever the devs feel most comfortable with and think is best for Minetest development.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 02:05

No, because flexibility and releasing 'at the right time' is always best, and 'set dates' are always missed anyway, as you can see from the release of 5.0.0.
What we can do is make an effort to reduce the interval. An average of roughly 6 months seems good, as it used to be.

> Personally, I just "git pull" and "make" - and the game is usable.

MT is not at stable release quality at random times, you're highly likely to have very serious bugs.

> If it becomes a regular thing, without any pressure, then releasing becomes easy

Releasing will never be easy and a fixed cycle won't make anything easier.

Casimir

GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

Return to General Discussion