[Mod] Match Three [match_three]

duane
GitHub: duane-r

[Mod] Match Three [match_three]

by duane » Post

This mod creates puzzle pieces that automatically generate and match, similar to popular games like candy crush, but in three dimensions. The mod creates top pieces that drop blocks, and indestructible transparent scrith to seal off open areas. The idea is to make a wall, or better yet a box of match pieces and put something nice inside it.

You play by walking up and punching two pieces next to each other, to swap them. If this matches three or more pieces in a row, they will vanish and new pieces will drop down. If there's no match, the pieces won't swap. Since you have to punch the blocks, it's easier to make puzzles low to the ground, although a determined player could build a scaffold to get higher.

Once the player(s) reach a certain score, the puzzle pieces and scrith will all evaporate, leaving the way clear to the prize. The score required to win increases as you move away from origin (0, 0, 0). Play is complicated by TNT blocks that drop down past a certain point. If they match, they explode, possibly injuring you, and probably destroying things inside.

If you place an empty chest inside, it will automagically be filled with some minor loot, after the game is won. This uses the dungeon_loot mod in the default game.

I've used this mod in my flat_vm mod. It could give you an example of how to generate puzzles automatically.

Screenshot
Spoiler
The source is available on github.

Code: LGPL2

Mod dependencies: default, dungeon_loot

Download: https://github.com/duane-r/match_three/ ... master.zip
Attachments
screenshot_20190601_095334.jpg
screenshot_20190601_095334.jpg (335.1 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Last edited by duane on Sat Jun 01, 2019 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

duane

Re: [Mod] Match Three [match_three]

by duane » Post

This mod probably has some bugs. It works in freaky ways, and match three games are not normally stateless. For example, I have yet to think of a way to do special pieces or matches. I haven't found any serious issues so far.

duane

New Patch

by duane » Post

I've gotten tired of working around the restricted interface in dungeon_loot, so I've included a patch for the stable minetest_game. You don't have to use the patch, but chests will not be filled automatically without it.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Mod] Match Three [match_three]

by paramat » Post

Woohoo scrith!