Page 1 of 1

It's been almost a year since I played Minetest

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 15:32
by Ajax_MineQuest
I used to play MineTest on my Lenovo. I loved the game, with all it's capabilities. But for this year, I got a new, cheaper laptop, and it has a Chrome OS, so I can't run the .exe. I haven't played since 0.4.16. I just downloaded 5.0.1., but haven't been able to play yet, and won't for a week or so. What is new to the game? What have I missed? Are there Monsters in the vanilla game yet?

Re: It's been almost a year since I played Minetest

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 19:22
by voxelproof
Ajax_MineQuest wrote: What is new to the game? What have I missed? Are there Monsters in the vanilla game yet?


The best way to learn about all the changes is to look at the dev's notes to the latest release. There're no monsters and probably they will never appear in the MTGame since it's goal is to provide the most basic gameplay and a threshold to modding and game creation. However there was a nice very professional monster game with a very good graphics, unfortunately it got lost in the latest Forum crash. Maybe the creator will repost it sometime in the future.

Re: It's been almost a year since I played Minetest

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 09:24
by bosapara
voxelproof wrote:However there was a nice very professional monster game with a very good graphics, unfortunately it got lost in the latest Forum crash. Maybe the creator will repost it sometime in the future.


What is name of that pro game or who publicated it?

Re: It's been almost a year since I played Minetest

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 19:12
by Wuzzy
Note that sorcerykid managed to recover all posts from the forum crash, so it might be possible to find the old game somewhere in the archive. But you have to find the link to the archive yourself. Good luck!

Anyway, the bottom line is, Minetest Game still sucks and probably will continue to suck. Even in 5.0.0, there's no major improvement in MTG. The biggest problem with MTG is the complete lack of plan or vision. Nobody has an idea what they're doing, it's all just a collection of random stuff someone felt like it belonged into MTG. It's a real shame MTG is still considered “official”, it makes Minetest make look so much worse than it actually is.
The real strengh of Minetest is NOT Minetest Game, please just ignore this terrible excuse for a “game”.
Please support other game developers instead with your time and feedback, there are much better games made by the community.

A very VERY important and HUGE change in Minetest is the Content DB. Minetest has the Content DB feature now, in the Content tab you can download mods and games with a few clicks! You should definitely explore around here for a while.

Re: It's been almost a year since I played Minetest

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 06:38
by voxelproof
bosapara wrote:
voxelproof wrote:However there was a nice very professional monster game with a very good graphics, unfortunately it got lost in the latest Forum crash. Maybe the creator will repost it sometime in the future.


What is name of that pro game or who publicated it?


"Monsters". I can't recollect who created it and I can't find the name of the creator in both license.txt and readme.txt files either.

Re: It's been almost a year since I played Minetest

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 09:16
by bosapara
voxelproof wrote:"Monsters". I can't recollect who created it and I can't find the name of the creator in both license.txt and readme.txt files either.


Found that "Monster" game, creator is "theblackwolf"

https://sorcerykid.github.io/minetest-f ... _17971.htm

Re: It's been almost a year since I played Minetest

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 01:34
by runs
I think MTG improved in 5.0: corals, new biomes, marram grass, etc.

I think about MTG more as a demo than a complete game. And as base for other games also.

The good thing on Minetest is that you can build your game on your own, with mods.