Should we "advertise" Minetest better ?

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Should we "advertise" Minetest better ?

by Festus1965 » Post

LMD wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 06:17
Should server owners advertise Minetest better ?
Wed Jun 12, 2019 13:17
This is typical MT thread ... 2 years and 4 month ... and no solution.

But don't give up ... maybe in 10 years ... as last person here ... will get the solution ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

mcaygerhard wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 20:28
is a common sense.. check the user base of the crap 5.X user base servers.. max player at same time are just.. 40? 50? please.. is.. pitiful amoutn.. compared to the user based of ecuacraft (minecraft server) around 500 to 1000
On the other hand, Cube 2: Sauerbraten is pretty much dead (1-2 active servers with somethimes less than 5-10 players worldwide) is happily living in the Wikipedia. Maybe they hate Minetest because Microsoft gives them money every now and then? People who pay the band decide what they play.

mcaygerhard
GitHub: mckaygerhard
IRC: mckaygerhard
In-game: mckaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 07:01
mcaygerhard wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 20:28
is a common sense.. check the user base of the crap 5.X user base servers.. max player at same time are just.. 40? 50? please.. is.. pitiful amoutn.. compared to the user based of ecuacraft (minecraft server) around 500 to 1000
On the other hand, Cube 2: Sauerbraten is pretty much dead (1-2 active servers with somethimes less than 5-10 players worldwide) is happily living in the Wikipedia. Maybe they hate Minetest because Microsoft gives them money every now and then? People who pay the band decide what they play.
yes! was the same for VenenuX linux distro.. never wikipedia admins permits to put an article.. i guess them just hate minetest..

but we must take in consideration that developers never thinks around real players (kids and guys that dont care about that constants upgrades and new requirements)

in my case by example i dont upgrade my perfectly working machine to newer linux cos is only user to play games.. not for work! or browse the web!

in mayor cases kids have phones and tablets.. and those that have computers dont have modern hardware.. that's why minecraft is so widelly played

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

mcaygerhard wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 15:03
but we must take in consideration that developers never thinks around real players (kids and guys that dont care about that constants upgrades and new requirements)

in my case by example i dont upgrade my perfectly working machine to newer linux cos is only user to play games.. not for work! or browse the web!
I'm confused, how are the developers forcing you to upgrade? I run Devuan stable (basically just Debian stable minus SystemD) which means my libraries are years behind most other distros, and Minetest runs fine.

And you know that upgrading a Linux OS doesn't cost anything, right? I mean it may be a hassle or break things on some of those distros out there -- I had a bad experience with upgrading Mint's weird Franken-buntu arrangement and never looked back, for one example, but on most distros upgrades should be seamless and cause no trouble.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

Mantar wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 17:39
mcaygerhard wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 15:03

I'm confused, how are the developers forcing you to upgrade? I run Devuan stable (basically just Debian stable minus SystemD) which means my libraries are years behind most other distros, and Minetest runs fine.

And you know that upgrading a Linux OS doesn't cost anything, right? I mean it may be a hassle or break things on some of those distros out there -- I had a bad experience with upgrading Mint's weird Franken-buntu arrangement and never looked back, for one example, but on most distros upgrades should be seamless and cause no trouble.
look up "long term support window" and "windows HAL" <--- something that linux does NOT have

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

There was a "HAL" on Linux and FreeBSD, it was replaced ages ago with udev.
LTS depends on your distro, but you can pay a number of places for all the support you want. Most Linux users don't pay for support in the first place, though. My experience has been that most support call centres just read off a prewritten list, or if you're lucky, somebody there will google the problem.

So no, Linux has both of those, and neither has very much to do with forcing someone to upgrade. Hell there are drivers for twenty-five year old devices that are shipped with the Linux kernel, good luck getting those to work on Windows 10. I forgot what it was like to even have to deal with device drivers at all, until my nephew wanted Windows earlier this year, it's a pain in the ass.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

Mantar wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 19:13
There was a "HAL" on Linux and FreeBSD, it was replaced ages ago with udev.
LTS depends on your distro, but you can pay a number of places for all the support you want. Most Linux users don't pay for support in the first place, though. My experience has been that most support call centres just read off a prewritten list, or if you're lucky, somebody there will google the problem.

So no, Linux has both of those, and neither has very much to do with forcing someone to upgrade. Hell there are drivers for twenty-five year old devices that are shipped with the Linux kernel, good luck getting those to work on Windows 10. I forgot what it was like to even have to deal with device drivers at all, until my nephew wanted Windows earlier this year, it's a pain in the ass.
you're wrong. linux has "forced upgrades" because drivers are compiled directly into the kernel . so you cant use the software with the wrong hardware. its planned obsolesence by design. the hardware companies love it.

look at all the drivers removed from the kernel. nobody is fooled. the fact that it has to be compiled into the kernel means it cant be installed into the kernel without being in the same support window ( conveniently decided by the manufacturer. unless you want to be a slave and donate your time ) . a problem windows doesn't have. microsoft wanted hardware to be an interchangeable commodity . but its the other way around in the free software world. the software is subservient to the hardware. this is why you cant run modern linux kernels on older hardware configurations

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

by daret » Post

ywwv wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 05:08
this is why you cant run modern linux kernels on older hardware configurations
I don't know. I use Linux since 2005 and I was never forced to upgrade. I just wanted to :D

For very-very-very old HW, you have to use some lightweight distro with old HW support.
But not only because of drivers, but more because of the performance.
Modern distro needs more powerful hw (but much less than Window 10).

Even in older distro you can use newer or older kernel (e.g. through GUI - ukuu).
Or if you are experienced, you can compile your own kernel with drivers you need.

Anyway, you have more possibilities than with Windows.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

ywwv wrote:
( conveniently decided by the manufacturer. )
Either don't use hardware from those manufacturers that only provide binary blobs, or else get used to them being able to dictate when you have to buy a new one. That's not the fault of the Linux folks, it's specific manufacturers doing that to you, and you can and should vote with your wallet for somebody who treats you better.
I have decade old ATI cards that work fine because the drivers are open sourced and thus shipped with the kernel. Any breakage is fixed by the kernel team before release, and you don't have to worry about whether the manufacturer wants you to upgrade.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

Mantar wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 17:20
ywwv wrote:
Either don't use hardware from those manufacturers that only provide binary blobs, or else get used to them being able to dictate when you have to buy a new one. That's not the fault of the Linux folks, it's specific manufacturers doing that to you, and you can and should vote with your wallet for somebody who treats you better.
I have decade old ATI cards that work fine because the drivers are open sourced and thus shipped with the kernel. Any breakage is fixed by the kernel team before release, and you don't have to worry about whether the manufacturer wants you to upgrade.
wrong its the linux kernel and the way its structured. there are tons of graphics cards from the 90s that had open source drivers that are now removed from the kernel because of the maintenance overhead. its not robust & its dictated by the kernel team not the manufacturer.

if linux had a proper HAL it would not matter if support stopped or if the drivers were open source or not or if the company went under. the drivers would still work . but because linux doesn't we have "hardware as a service"- even hardware with open source drivers.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Discussion

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

Mantar wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 17:20
ywwv wrote:
also you totally failed to perceive my point here. I just explained how open source drivers stop working when the manufacturer decides to stop supporting them. do you think the current mesa team could maintain the AMD drivers if AMD went under (bought by china) ? your entire argument is contingent on mass efforts of unpaid and unnecessary labor meant to prop up the linux kernel's bad decisions

look up MINIX , GNU/Hurd and Zircon for kernels that dont suffer from this issue ( AND have a bigger install base making them more relevant (when google removes linux as its phone operating system) )

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

So we've drilled down to "there are 30 year old graphics cards whose drivers broke, and nobody existed who both had one of these archaic things still installed and felt like fixing the driver, so they got removed from the kernel" is now what is meant by "the Linux kernel team is forcing you to upgrade." I could go find you a card in a dumpster that's newer than that. This is starting to get silly.

Also,
open source drivers stop working when the manufacturer decides to stop supporting them
just isn't true, there are tons of open drivers in the kernel right now for closed-source hardware that manufacturers do not support. It's uncommon for graphics cards, due to the complexity, but for other hardware it's not rare. Even then, the nvidia open source drivers mostly work despite getting no support from nvidia. For basic 2d stuff they're fine despite lack of official manufacturer support.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

Mantar wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 17:54
So we've drilled down to "there are 30 year old graphics cards whose drivers broke, and nobody existed who both had one of these archaic things still installed and felt like fixing the driver, so they got removed from the kernel" is now what is meant by "the Linux kernel team is forcing you to upgrade." I could go find you a card in a dumpster that's newer than that. This is starting to get silly.

Also,
open source drivers stop working when the manufacturer decides to stop supporting them
just isn't true, there are tons of open drivers in the kernel right now for closed-source hardware that manufacturers do not support. It's uncommon for graphics cards, due to the complexity, but for other hardware it's not rare. Even then, the nvidia open source drivers mostly work despite getting no support from nvidia. For basic 2d stuff they're fine despite lack of official manufacturer support.
sure. I also think its cool that someone maintains wifi card drivers out of their own time. too bad this doesn't address any of the problems I mentioned.

freedom isn't free. someone has to volunteer their time to the cause. and this could be better spent on literally anything else than the black hole of refactoring the same driver hundreds of times so it can keep up with the unstable linux kernel space API.

imagine I wanted to use the newest AMD drivers on an older kernel. its just impossible. that's the forced upgrade.

LordPhyre

by LordPhyre » Post

Should we advertise Minetest better? Wrong question.
Correct question is: Should we advertise Minetest in the first place, because as far as I know, Minetest has little to no advertising at all.
The only mention of Minetest is in a handful of third-party articles titled something along the lines of "Best Linux Games" or something.
And even there, it's not because Minetest genuinely deserved to be included in that list, but only because its a copy of another very popular, successful game.

So it all boils down to: Make Minetest a better game.
Take for example, a similar game: Minecraft.
Minecraft doesn't need advertising. It's so horrendously popular that it's basically permanently rooted in 70% of the developed world population. But how did it all start? Well it was unique, and cool. But back then Minecraft was equivalent to Minetest as it is now. Some blocks, and that's it. No grand purpose, no fun things to do, just blocks.
But unlike Minetest, Minecraft evolved.

Picture this (disregarding technicalities like food/water/sleep): You are forced to play Minetest singleplayer for a week, 24 hours non-stop, by evil aliens. Sounds like hell to me.
But on the other hand, I would agree to playing Minecraft singleplayer for MONTHS 24 hours non-stop regardless of evil aliens.

Why? Fun things to do, grand purpose, and the experience in between.
Minetest singleplayer has none of those things. Minetest's heavy reliance on mods is honestly sad. Without like 5-10 mods installed, Minetest is a boring game with only one activity: moving blocks around.

Minetest singleplayer timeline: Break wood, go in cave, get ores, get better ores, not much left to do.

Wanna build something amazing? Lacking appropriate blocks and materials. Wanna make something MOVE AROUND and cause seemly lifeless hunks of dirt gain sentience? Nope, because redstone doesn't exist here!! Wanna go to ANOTHER GODDAMN DIMENSION? Not possible either!

Minecraft singleplayer timeline: Break wood, go in cave, WOAH! Watch out! I almost died from those exploding green guys! Get better ores, make better tools and armor, defeat exploding green guys, get better ores, Die.
Well now I lost all my hard work. Sucks. Items will despawn eventually, instead of lingering around in bone blocks. Better rush to get them back or I'm at square one! Okay I got my stuff, now I am strong. Time to go to freakin HELL. Okay now I must dodge big white fireball blasters and get hell-exclusive materials necessary for further game progression. Okay now I gotta play hide-and-seek in a dungeon (when I've found one that is) and find a loop of weird eyesocket blocks. Okay now I'm going to the space island to defeat the evil purple bird.
Easy!! Yes! I finished the game that took me hours! Okay, now what?
(insert building things, speedrunning, mods)

Unlike Minetest that lacks any progression in the game, Minecraft has a purpose, is fun, and eventually you can resort to mods and redstone and all that good stuff when you already beat the game.
A typical game of Minetest finishes before you even start. Why get better swords when there's nothing to use them on? Why get better ores at all, there's no reason to.

Okay one strength: Multiplayer.
Nobody plays singleplayer, lets have someone else make the game fun, because the game isn't fun.
Multiplayer really is fun huh. Usually. (insert hackers, bad mods, server crashes)

The popular Minecraft servers never crash, because the server owners basically host for a living. It has balanced, good mods, because bad mods are just as time consuming as making good mods (Java is quite a bit harder than Lua I presume.) There's low hackers because all commercial clients are easy to counter and Minecraft Java gives mods (I mean anticheat mods) power to detect a lot of things.

Now, of course, this rant is NOT about how good Minecraft is. Its about how Minetest can learn from Minecraft and become better. There's a reason a game that costs 20 bucks is popular, while a free one isn't.
I can already forsee a lot of people making the stupid statement that "Minetest isn't Minecraft, we don't have to copy them" well you did from the very start didn't you. If you started, might as well finish it off.
I don't see anyone providing actual unique and good game mechanics and ideas that are Minetest exclusive. If they are, its a mod. That doesn't count.
Since we all lack originality, forget the whole idea! Might as well copy all of Minecraft, because simply letting things sit where they are is not going to get anyone anywhere.

But of course, I forgot one very important point! Minecraft is now backed by a multi-million (if not billion) dollar company, Microsoft.
And Minetest... isn't.

So of course I don't expect a Christmas gift that suddenly Minetest is a good game and has lots of things to do within the singleplayer world, and that armor is finally added as a default mod, and that mobs exist because without them there's no point of armor or tools at all, no.
But please, do not wonder at why Minetest is only played by 5 year olds who's parents cannot/will not afford Minecraft. It's not advertising. Because even with all the advertising in the world, I doubt much people will take interest in Minetest because of the weaknesses I stated throughout my rant.

Well, I expect to garner lots of "positive" feedback from avid Minetest supporters.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing Minetest. Multiplayer.
So at this point, either make Minetest a multiplayer-only game, or start making some improvements to the singleplayer.

I suggest renaming "singleplayer" to "zeroplayer" because that's more accurate lmao
Last edited by LordPhyre on Mon Dec 06, 2021 19:33, edited 2 times in total.

LordPhyre

by LordPhyre » Post

yikes long post.
If you dont want to read it, TL;DR minetest singleplayer sucks, and its not advertising thats the issue, its the fact that singleplayer sucks

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

LordPhyre wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 19:28
yikes long post.
If you dont want to read it, TL;DR minetest singleplayer sucks, and its not advertising thats the issue, its the fact that singleplayer sucks
Yes we know we need to ship a better game running on a better engine. The game you're looking for is Mineclone2 but more complete. We all know Minetest Game sucks and we need to move past it, and in typical fashion you conflate the two. But you seem to ignore the fact that the goal of Minetest is to be an engine. It doesn't succeed at that yet either, definitely not feature parity with Minecraft. So Mineclone cannot be perfect and nor is the competition, i.e. other games for Minetest Engine, particularly strong, or rather if it is it's somewhat doomed to obscurity.

Let's talk about your "play game for a week" scenario. What if I get to mod the game as well? I don't get any mods, I have to write them myself, and I get API docs. I know I'd rather be modding Minetest because I'd get a lot more done in that week using Minetest than Forge/Fabric.

But advertising "free Minecraft" is not a goal I think we can all agree with, not the official Minetest project. "Free Minecraft" is the domain of Multicraft et cetera. Advertising "great block game engine with games and easy moddability" is what we should do. The "free Minecraft" crowd is much more like to be kids who can't afford the proprietary game, and while some of them might learn Lua and how to mod, most of them realistically won't. Feel free to disagree but what sets Minetest apart is each player's depth of knowledge of the game: how most people who play the game long enough end up modding it. That's the kind of community I want to advertise to.

Advertising to the aforementioned technically-oriented community is something I think we could advertise right now. More core devs, more reviews, more frequent merges, close the gap on the backlog. More games and more mods. Then it might be ready for the audience you're talking about advertising to.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Wizard Of mkdir
GitHub: wizardofgcc
In-game: Wizard Of mkdir

by Wizard Of mkdir » Post

TL;DR minetest singleplayer sucks, and its not advertising thats the issue, its the fact that singleplayer sucks
I think that many of the points brought up here are reasonable, but you seem to have a misconception: "Minetest" as an engine, and "Minetest Game" which is shipped with it. That is a common misconception people have, since there is little differentiation between them: once you open the Minetest client, you immediately get shown the create world etc. screen, for Minetest Game. This is the main thing that I believe Minetest advertisement needs to focus on: to change people's thinking so instead of Minetest being "this one bad quality game that you can mod and also I guess you can download other games" it would be "A client for many games, which you can also add mods to easily". There seems to be progress with this in the new UI changes, but I think a necessary step to take is to just not include any games at all, and make the screenshots have more explanation like "you can't get this just by downloading Minetest Engine, but here are some cool games and mods that people have made". Trying to copy Minecraft is an uphill battle, instead of it, we should switch direction to being an engine + a lot of things made using it.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

minetest does not exist within a critical or productive culture - but one that celebrates intangibilities like engine development. that's a consequence of very few games being truly worthy of prestige. we are still at the stage where game programming is interpreted as a race invent a flytrap capable of keeping one away from the sunlight for long hours.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

if you play as a cicada in-game. you become a cicada IRL. its irresponsible and regressive how they design these

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

LordPhyre wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 19:27
Picture this (disregarding technicalities like food/water/sleep): You are forced to play Minetest singleplayer for a week, 24 hours non-stop, by evil aliens. Sounds like hell to me.
But on the other hand, I would agree to playing Minecraft singleplayer for MONTHS 24 hours non-stop regardless of evil aliens.
this is what minecraft did to LordPhyre's brain. prisoner mindset. its such a sick fantasy. he's here to find a new birdcage to lock himself in . he's asking us for help in this post

LordPhyre

by LordPhyre » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 07:06
But advertising "free Minecraft" is not a goal I think we can all agree with, not the official Minetest project.
Well right now, all mentions of Minetest describe it as a free, linux Minecraft.
Wizard Of mkdir wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:56
I think that many of the points brought up here are reasonable, but you seem to have a misconception: "Minetest" as an engine, and "Minetest Game" which is shipped with it. That is a common misconception people have, since there is little differentiation between them: once you open the Minetest client, you immediately get shown the create world etc. screen, for Minetest Game. This is the main thing that I believe Minetest advertisement needs to focus on: to change people's thinking so instead of Minetest being "this one bad quality game that you can mod and also I guess you can download other games" it would be "A client for many games, which you can also add mods to easily".
Oh right yea, Minetest isn't a game, its an engine. That's confusing. As of right now, Minetest is advertised as a free, linux Minecraft clone, not an engine that you can mod easily.
Even if that changes, you have to realize, people will take it at face value, aka, Minetest Game.
Also right now, the API lacks a lot of things, and other sources of information are incomplete. This means that anyone who's first impression of Minetest is as a moddable game engine will be disappointed quite quickly.
This doesn't apply to someone with already a sufficient amount of knowledge on how to program Lua, but I don't think we should expect every new player to fit this description.
By advertising a faulty product, we don't get anywhere. That's why the question right now shouldn't be about "should we advertise better" because while that will bring new players, it will be much more effective if the product behind the advertisement is actually valuable and desirable.

Making Minetest a game-engine standalone would help in this process. This will remove any people who actually want to play Minetest like Minecraft, and reduce disappointment. Of course they can still download MT game separately, but in doing so they notice an interesting fact: why isn't it bundled in? Oh right because MT is an engine, not a game really.
Of course doing this will limit your popularity! Most people just want to play something! But I doubt if those same people stuck around. Minetest Game, if not the main purpose of Minetest, shouldn't be included with Minetest at all, because that causes confusion, and misconceptions like my own.

LordPhyre

by LordPhyre » Post

ywwv wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:50
LordPhyre wrote:
this is what minecraft did to LordPhyre's brain. prisoner mindset. its such a sick fantasy. he's here to find a new birdcage to lock himself in . he's asking us for help in this post
Facts. send help.

LordPhyre

by LordPhyre » Post

Lemme just rephrase my above point:

Right now, everything advertised about Minetest is Minetest Game.
If we remove Minetest game from the Minetest engine, people will stop downloading Minetest in hopes to play. This is good because 90% of those people would've left in disappointment anyways.

If we stop targeting the wrong crowd, but rather target the right crowd, (people who will mod, make games, etc) then Minetest will grow in popularity.
If they do want to play something, they can always use Multiplayer, the much more fun, and better alternative to boring singleplayer.
Now articles on the internet will describe it as a "easily moddable game engine based of Minecraft for linux," which will attract people who can/want to mod, instead of people who can't afford the other big block game.

(also note, if they want they can always download minetest game separately and then play like that, but the whole process makes it clear that Minetest has things other than the quite shabby Minetest Game.)

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

LordPhyre wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 13:54
ywwv wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:50
LordPhyre wrote:
Facts. send help.
the first step of the cure is to uninstall your graphics card and limit the hours you play games and watch videos (of any kind) . you must replace your accumulative productivity with actualative productivity. you are a cyberserf withering away under the nordic grip of voxel entertainment.

Mentos

by Mentos » Post

I think Minetest game should come at least with some mobs (neutral and hostile) and a better world generation with more biomes. That would improve a lot the single player survival mode. I know there are mods out there, but people need a solid core game with something to play with. Mods come when the vanilla game gets boring.