So many questions, all with similar answers.

ShadMOrdre

GitHub: ShadMOrdre
In-game: shadmordre

So many questions, all with similar answers.

by ShadMOrdre » Thu Jul 04, 2019 07:48

Random thought,

What if I were a ... trying (not) to ....?

Player model can be anything. World can be anything. Let the game dev begin. Ready, set, go.

Why don't we have a Supertux game in Minetest yet? I thinks the media licensing is probably permissive enough to bring Tux on board in a 3D way.

And why isn't Sam a featured mascot like ALL the other OS game characters in SupertuxKart. Add Sam in a minecart as a playable character in SupertuxKart, so that he gets exposure.
MY MODS: lib_ecology lib_materials lib_clouds lib_node_shapes ---- Inspired By: Open Source Virtual World Simulator Opensimulator.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: So many questions, all with similar answers.

by Linuxdirk » Thu Jul 04, 2019 09:47

ShadMOrdre wrote:And why isn't Sam a featured mascot like ALL the other OS game characters in SupertuxKart. Add Sam in a minecart as a playable character in SupertuxKart, so that he gets exposure.

That would be great. It could be done via the latest STK's online content browser. If I remember correctly from the 1.0 review it allows additional karts being downloaded.

Someone with the knowledge on designing karts for STK should reach out to the STK team.

Extex

GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Thu Jul 04, 2019 20:28

I've made my own collection of karts in supertux kart so I know how to make them
Player of PK, RIP. Creator of the light_tool and christmas mods. Working on another mod which should be coming soon!

Hume2

GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 16:56

ShadMOrdre wrote:...
Why don't we have a Supertux game in Minetest yet? I thinks the media licensing is probably permissive enough to bring Tux on board in a 3D way.

Do you denote that I should do that? :D
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

runs

GitHub: runsy

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Mon Jul 22, 2019 21:36

Nice furry.

All ya need for a Sam mascot costume is some cardboard and paint. haha

Extex and Hume2, I do formally ask each of you to create a model of Sam in a mine cart as a formal submission to the SuperTuxKart game. I would ask that the devs be allowed to have any final say as to the look of the model, but otherwise, this should just be done!

Ready....set....go ;)
MY MODS: lib_ecology lib_materials lib_clouds lib_node_shapes ---- Inspired By: Open Source Virtual World Simulator Opensimulator.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 18:34

Is Sam the mascot of MTG or Minetest (the engine)? I don't think MTG needs to be represented in STK, but Minetest as a whole should be.
Social: YouTube Peertube Matrix Room: #minetest:matrix.org | Games: The Infinite IKEA

Hume2

GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 19:18

Please, note that Super Tux is not Super Tux Kart.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Fri Jul 26, 2019 21:18

So there are actually two concepts discussed here.

The first, and probably the better idea, is to create a MT Sam in a minecart kart for SuperTuxKart.

The other idea, and perhaps also possible, is to simply use MT as a platform to recreate the SuperTux game, the 2d side scroller. My son likes the game. It's a good game, well designed. I've seen a 3D SuperTux done as a Blender executable, but it only contained two levels. I think there is room for both a side scroller, using the 2D Minetest Game, and also to make a 3D version of SuperTux, with all the various levels redesigned in the 3D MT style. This would be fun to play, and because most of the "game story" is already made in the various levels, to recreate those levels as 3D areas on an MT map would be fun.

But, I think the SuperTuxKart idea, as a quick and simple thing to pull off, would probably get wider community support due to the speed with which this can be accomplished.

Shad

Return to General Discussion