What does English language dominance mean for Minetest?

Yvanhoe

Re: What does English language dominance mean for Minetest?

by Yvanhoe » Fri Aug 09, 2019 15:39

I just want to add that it is pretty easy to do. Replace string literals "asdf" by S("asdf"). If you do just that, that's already 90% of the work!

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 17:41

Linuxdirk wrote:Is S registered by default? If so, what namespace does it use?

S is the standard name for a file local which contains the translator object like so:

Code: Select all
local S = minetest.get_translator()

Hamlet

GitHub: h4ml3t
IRC: H4mlet

by Hamlet » Fri Aug 09, 2019 18:44

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:As a native English speaker, I benefit the most from English language dominance. However, I have an interest in languages and I find the general lack of need to learn a non-English language to be disappointing.

I'm an Italian native speaker and a translator.
From my point of view - at least in past - nobody really gave a damn about actual internationalization, i.e. keeping up-to date the engine and the mods' translations.

E.g. about the Engine:
Localization files not being used in Minetest releases

E.g. about the mods:
[Mod] Diet - Support for internationalization added (Pull Request)

In this thread it has been stated that however the non-English subforums are being scarcely used. This does not mean that suddenly people has learned English, this simply reflects the fact that people unable to read English are not interested in a game/engine that they can not use because they can not understand, simple as that.

Did this "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." attitude changed?
The fact that a native English speaker is pointing out - once again - this issue (which obviously Isn't an issue for someone(s)), it says a lot.

Don't be surprised if the non-English subforums are dead and if translators - like me - eventually give up on wasting their time.

My two cents.

P.S. The fact that I've pointed out an issue that I had with rubenwardy's mod does not mean that other developers are more illuminated about this issue: in fact, I had the same issue with other developers too.
"It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, nor to succeed in order to persevere." (Unknown)

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sat Aug 10, 2019 17:21

rubenwardy wrote:which contains the translator object like so:

Code: Select all
local S = minetest.get_translator()

Your example misses the namespace. I know it is within the definition but it’s still stupid not using a namespace and proposing to do so is on the same level as allowing empty namespaces in the first place.

Previous

Return to General Discussion