STRANGE, unidentified object walking around minetest!

Steamed_Punk
GitHub: steamed-punk

STRANGE, unidentified object walking around minetest!

by Steamed_Punk » Post

I was busy doing my own thing and i saw this strange looking cube float/walking 1 block in the air.

I killed it! It WAS a sheep!
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: STRANGE, unidentified object walking around minetest!

by Andrey01 » Post

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Hmm, i got something similiar, except i was in almost blank custom world and got a small object appear "admin armour". Vanished when i tried to pick it up if it hapoens again ill screenshot it...might be some odd bug

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

I am noticing this all over now. You can see the grass being eaten and then you see the tine cube just above. Weird!

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Steamed_Punk wrote:I am noticing this all over now. You can see the grass being eaten and then you see the tine cube just above. Weird!
That looks like it's using one of the popular sheep textures. Presumably it is a sheep from one of the popular animal mods, which is why it is spawning randomly and eating grass.

But I have no idea why it looks like that instead of like an actual sheep. Are you using the latest version of Minetest? Is it a release or a development version? Do you have the latest version of whatever animals mod you're using (and is it a reasonably recent mod)? My first guess would be that somehow your Minetest version doesn't understand the model definition that the mod is using, which would indicate that either a) you're using a very old Minetest version with a recent mod, b) you're using a recent Minetest version with a very old mod, or c) you're using a development version of Minetest and someone messed up and broke mesh loading since the last release.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

micheal65536 wrote:
Steamed_Punk wrote:I am noticing this all over now. You can see the grass being eaten and then you see the tine cube just above. Weird!
That looks like it's using one of the popular sheep textures. Presumably it is a sheep from one of the popular animal mods, which is why it is spawning randomly and eating grass.

But I have no idea why it looks like that instead of like an actual sheep. Are you using the latest version of Minetest? Is it a release or a development version? Do you have the latest version of whatever animals mod you're using (and is it a reasonably recent mod)? My first guess would be that somehow your Minetest version doesn't understand the model definition that the mod is using, which would indicate that either a) you're using a very old Minetest version with a recent mod, b) you're using a recent Minetest version with a very old mod, or c) you're using a development version of Minetest and someone messed up and broke mesh loading since the last release.
Hi Michael, i am using version 5.0.1 and mobs and mobs_redo which i installed through Minetest. Apart from that, i have just created my first mod and thought with my lack of knowledge and understanding, my code probably a mess, that it was creating a conflict. I removed my stuff and the sheep was still the same.
That's why i posted the screenshot, I don't know enough to understand yet.
Thanks for the pointers. I will try and see.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Steamed_Punk wrote:i am using version 5.0.1 and mobs and mobs_redo which i installed through Minetest.
In that case I would expect that you would have the latest release version of both Minetest and the mods (which is what you should have).

However I must wonder... did you install both mobs and mobs_redo? My understanding is that people typically only install one of these mods. This is highly unlikely to be the cause of the issue but try it with just one of these mods, and then the other, rather than both at the same time.

If it happens with both mods installed/active but not with either mod on its own, then it's presumably some (very unlikely) conflict between the mods. If it still happens with one of the mods on its own then you know which mod is causing the issue and you should probably report a bug for both Minetest and the mod in question.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

So it's actually an identified object...
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

migdyn wrote:So it's actually an identified object...
Until I killed it, it wasn't :p

But yes your right :D

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

if you indeed installed mobs by pilzadam which is outdated then this might be his sheep offset by a meter, which would be expected as there was a relevant change between the old 0.4.x and the new 5.x versions regarding the placing of mobs and avatars.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

twoelk wrote:if you indeed installed mobs by pilzadam which is outdated then this might be his sheep offset by a meter, which would be expected as there was a relevant change between the old 0.4.x and the new 5.x versions regarding the placing of mobs and avatars.
Ouch twoelk,
I have just built a mob that depends on mobs, i now have to look at what i need to do.
Although i am a bit confused. I thought Mobs_Redo depends on Mobs also. Does this mean that everyone has tiny sheep or have i missed an update download somewhere?

Thanks for the info, things are a little clearer now ;)
Regards

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

micheal65536 wrote:
Steamed_Punk wrote:i am using version 5.0.1 and mobs and mobs_redo which i installed through Minetest.
In that case I would expect that you would have the latest release version of both Minetest and the mods (which is what you should have).

However I must wonder... did you install both mobs and mobs_redo? My understanding is that people typically only install one of these mods. This is highly unlikely to be the cause of the issue but try it with just one of these mods, and then the other, rather than both at the same time.

If it happens with both mods installed/active but not with either mod on its own, then it's presumably some (very unlikely) conflict between the mods. If it still happens with one of the mods on its own then you know which mod is causing the issue and you should probably report a bug for both Minetest and the mod in question.
Sorry i just saw this, i have both. I thought it was needed because redo depends on mods. I guess i will have to rethink this :(

regards

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

I just realized that i had mobs and mobs_animal but not mobs_redo. I disabled the mobs mod and removed it, and then downloaded and installed mobs_redo. the thing is i am getting exactly the same result on the sheep. No other animals seem affected. I don't know where else to look.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Steamed_Punk wrote:I just realized that i had mobs and mobs_animal but not mobs_redo. I disabled the mobs mod and removed it, and then downloaded and installed mobs_redo. the thing is i am getting exactly the same result on the sheep. No other animals seem affected. I don't know where else to look.
Are you able to try creating a new world using Minetest Game as a base with no extra mods at all apart from "mobs_redo" and "mobs_animal"? If it still happens then there's presumably a regression (bug) somewhere in either Minetest or one of the two mods.

Also are you seeing any other animals? "mobs_animal" should add more than just sheep. Do you have other normal-looking animals or are you seeing different small cubes with different colors/patterns/textures?

Just to confirm that you're definitely getting the mods from the Minetest ContentDB (by going to the "content" tab inside Minetest and choosing to browse online content)? This is what I originally thought but you mentioned having installed "mobs" which isn't available in the ContentDB (because it's outdated). Also what base game are you using?

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

micheal65536 wrote:
Steamed_Punk wrote:I just realized that i had mobs and mobs_animal but not mobs_redo. I disabled the mobs mod and removed it, and then downloaded and installed mobs_redo. the thing is i am getting exactly the same result on the sheep. No other animals seem affected. I don't know where else to look.
Are you able to try creating a new world using Minetest Game as a base with no extra mods at all apart from "mobs_redo" and "mobs_animal"? If it still happens then there's presumably a regression (bug) somewhere in either Minetest or one of the two mods.

Also are you seeing any other animals? "mobs_animal" should add more than just sheep. Do you have other normal-looking animals or are you seeing different small cubes with different colors/patterns/textures?

Just to confirm that you're definitely getting the mods from the Minetest ContentDB (by going to the "content" tab inside Minetest and choosing to browse online content)? This is what I originally thought but you mentioned having installed "mobs" which isn't available in the ContentDB (because it's outdated). Also what base game are you using?
Yes i am seeing other mobs, i started a new minetest map on carpathian and V7 the previous where i noticed this was V6. On the V7 i had the chance of a sheep right before me on start. The Carpathian i had to spawn them. The cow and pumba show fine, whereas the sheep persist in being tiny cubes. All that was enabled was Mobs_Redo and the animal pack.
Yes the redo and animals are from through the ContentDB, which brought me to the forums for downloads. I followed links through here. I can't remember where i got the initial mobs from but am sure it was through the forums also.

I am wondering if this could be down to the fact I'm on windows10 (Don't scream at me :-) ). I have a linux mint setup but am only just getting getting round the OS and the layout. It's an old broken laptop (USB keyboard used) and it isn't practical and certainly doesn't have the power i need.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Steamed_Punk wrote:Yes i am seeing other mobs, i started a new minetest map on carpathian and V7 the previous where i noticed this was V6. On the V7 i had the chance of a sheep right before me on start. The Carpathian i had to spawn them. The cow and pumba show fine, whereas the sheep persist in being tiny cubes. All that was enabled was Mobs_Redo and the animal pack.
Yes the redo and animals are from through the ContentDB, which brought me to the forums for downloads. I followed links through here. I can't remember where i got the initial mobs from but am sure it was through the forums also.

I am wondering if this could be down to the fact I'm on windows10 (Don't scream at me :-) ). I have a linux mint setup but am only just getting getting round the OS and the layout. It's an old broken laptop (USB keyboard used) and it isn't practical and certainly doesn't have the power i need.
Thanks for the info. I doubt that using Windows is the cause of the problem. If I get a chance I will do some testing and see if I can reproduce the issue. It's possible that it's simply a regression (bug) in either mobs_animal or Minetest itself.