useing minetest

jimbo160

In-game: jimbo

Re: useing minetest

by jimbo160 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 00:26

n well, here i am again. hope you can find a way to understand my post, but, i am 77 years old, and this program is very complicated to me, i have problems with my eyes any way, and i just cannot figure what to do. i even tried to get what i called a world, that i do not even see any where. i can only see related to that was games. i even downloaded one of those, hamlets games, downloaded, extracted, and put it in games. it does nothing. i got so agrivated with myself, i started to uninstall the game, but i could not find in my uninstall, nor an uninstall on minetest. i will play with this thing, hoping to stumble across something, so, if any one wants to stumble with, just post me here, i will keep awhile. if not, i really appreciate you, and thanks
jimmy

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Sun Oct 06, 2019 03:40

Hello and Welcome,

Out of the box it is a basic game but playable. The mods add a lot of dynamics to the game. Good news: as of Minetest version 5.0.1, There is a very nice system to add mods to the game. Try using the "Content" tab in the game to browse and install mods. Otherwise you will need to download, edit, and move files manually which is a bit more tedious and confusing for beginners.

A lot of the people here in the forums are developers who work on code and mods.

You said you wanted to play this game with your grandson? Are you planning on making a server, developing a game, or just playing on the same network? If you'd like to try a server online, there are plenty of servers that have their own sets of mods that can be very fun. I run Sara's Simple Survival Server, which is set up to be a simple but content-rich game (it is in alpha right now and there is still development and bugs being fixed before its released in a stable state). It might fit what you are looking for if you are coming from Minecraft. There are other good stable and friendly servers that are out there too.

Don't be disheartened. You'll find your way around the game with some time and know all the files and the way config files work soon. The Minetest community is very helpful and friendly. Best Regards.
"i showed u my source code, pls respond"

GayJesus

by GayJesus » Sun Oct 06, 2019 03:54

jimbo
You need to open your file manager in windows
Go to C:\Users\Jimbo160\minetest\
keep going down until you see the folder called "mods"
inside the "mods" folder you'll see a folder called "dreambuilder_modpack-master"
I think you right click then choose rename
remove "-master" so the folder is then called "dreambuilder_modpack"

jimbo160

by jimbo160 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 14:26

am still trying, and this morning, i noticed when i opend minetest game, that at the top left of my screen, the version did not say version 5. i do not know how to get it updated. i also open my minetest game, and cannot find a content. the little icon that use to be in the bottom left corner of my game, is not there.only the word minetest, and there use to be a little world icon. i also go to my minetest game folder, go to mods, and the folder there is named, dreambuilder_modpak. maybe i need to start all over again but cannot uninstal, and do again.
do not know anything about servers, and do not know if i need or not. i just like to get on Minecraftm, and try tyo bui;d something with add ons like furniture, bushes, and using programs like macray fish, lustlane, etc. i like to go to worlds that are mountain, flat, treesm towns, and all different.
thanks for getting back to me.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Oct 06, 2019 15:49

jimbo160 wrote:do not know anything about servers, and do not know if i need or not. i just like to get on Minecraftm, and try tyo bui;d something with add ons like furniture, bushes, and using programs like macray fish, lustlane, etc. i like to go to worlds that are mountain, flat, treesm towns, and all different.

Maybe you ought to try out servers first then. Getting a 5.x version of Minetest might be helpful as most servers have switched to the new version. Just download and install a new version from the web page or a build here from the forum. Start it, click on "join game", and select a server from the list that appeals to you. There are many diffrent servers with diffrent mods installed. In order to talk to other players, press "t" and type what you want to say in chat. The key "F10" opens and closes the chat history where you can scroll around and also chat. Walking around on servers can give you an idea which mods you like. Others can view and enjoy what you build, and you can enjoy what others have built. Most servers are even child-friendly.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Oct 06, 2019 15:53

Ah, and if you have problems with your eyes, you probably won't be able to read the tiny miniature font Minetest uses by default. Go to "settings", "all settings", "Graphics", "Menues", and change "Font size", "Monospace font size" and "Fallback font size" to a larger value. I use a value of 20, but maybe you'll feel more comftable with a higher value like 36.
A list of my mods can be found here.

jimbo160

by jimbo160 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 19:59

[img]k8Qge9[img][/img]pC0K0e[/img]

jimbo160

by jimbo160 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 20:22

[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/791x141q90/r/924/k8Qge9.jpg[img][img]https://imageshack.com/i/pnpC0K0ej[/img]
i tried to reload 5 again, but i see no minetest icon. tried to capture an img of what is there.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Sun Oct 06, 2019 23:10

jimbo160 wrote:[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/791x141q90/r/924/k8Qge9.jpg[img][img]https://imageshack.com/i/pnpC0K0ej[/img]
i tried to reload 5 again, but i see no minetest icon. tried to capture an img of what is there.

The file you'll want to open is in the "bin" folder. There is minetest.exe in there.

You open the game with that.

You can make a desktop shortcut to it if you'd like. (Right click on minetest.exe and create shortcut --> desktop shortcut)

I think it would be easier if the project distributed the game with an installer that would install into program files and then make a desktop shortcut and a start menu shortcut. No problem installing it on Linux, as it takes care of this automatically.

jimbo160

by jimbo160 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 14:23

i now have the minetest 5 loaded, but there is no mod at the top. can you point me to one that is simple for me to just see if i can get loaded? you might tell me just what to do.

jimbo160

by jimbo160 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 22:58

mmmmmm started all over, put some of the mods in auto instal, and did what i was supposed to do, but got errors like the one on the post earlier, that ended with check debugg list......where is the debug list? a lot of print with this at the end of each download....
2019-10-07 09:44:54: [Main]: Automatically selecting world at [C:\Users\jimbo160\Downloads\minetest-5.0.1-win64\minetest-5.0.1-win64\bin\..\worlds\new]
2019-10-07 09:45:20: ERROR[Main]: Please choose a name!

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Mon Oct 07, 2019 23:25

So choose a name!

Really if you got Minetest to open, all you should have to do is go to the content tab, click on browse mods, and install some mods you'd like to try. Then activate the ones you want to use in your world and start a game.

jimbo160

by jimbo160 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 15:15

ok, i uninstalled all the mods, and started with one at a time. got me a little house, and a furniture mod installed, it is doing good, so far, but i have a refridgerater in the middle iof the floor that is spinning, so i must figure out a way to make it stop.
if i get envolved enough, how would i post a snapshot of what i had done, and post?

jimbo160

by jimbo160 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 19:28

what does it mean when i use my contet view and install, but when i enable and configure, i die when i first go to game. i have made a few of them work, but most i have tried so far, i die.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 21:39

Use the windows snipping tool or the print screen button to take a picture in Windows. Upload to something like imgur image service and then just share the link/URL it gives you. You can upload photos in the forums here too.

As for your other question, you shouldnt be dying when you join the game. I don't know why that would happen.

jimbo160

by jimbo160 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 21:43

just another question. all seems to be ok, except using minetest. i do no know how to explain the dying, but later i will ask. example for now, i downloaded a program that was called streets, i created a game called streets, enabled the streets, but when i go to the streets game, and nothing there about streets.

Miniontoby

In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Mon Oct 14, 2019 16:58

jimbo160 wrote:just another question. all seems to be ok, except using minetest. i do no know how to explain the dying, but later i will ask. example for now, i downloaded a program that was called streets, i created a game called streets, enabled the streets, but when i go to the streets game, and nothing there about streets.

Mods doesn't been create in worlds. I mean that they don't get placed when you start the game

So i think you need to place streets blocks
My English isn't very good because I'm Dutch ---- Check my mod "Doorbell"

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Mon Oct 14, 2019 17:08

Eran wrote:
jimbo160 wrote:how do i fly?

In the game open chat and type /grantme fly. Then press K to start (or stop) flying. You can change the key in the control settings.

You can better type /grantme all because then you can do everything and for example flying faster (with "j") and flying in blocks (with "h")

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Mon Oct 14, 2019 17:16

And I am going to make a video how Minetest works for you.

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Mon Oct 14, 2019 17:20

FreeGamers wrote:

So choose a name!

Really if you got Minetest to open, all you should have to do is go to the content tab, click on browse mods, and install some mods you'd like to try. Then activate the ones you want to use in your world and start a game.

That is a error I also get if my game crashes since Minetest 5.0.1 and I play it now already 2 years

Previous

Return to General Discussion