Did the Minetest Forums DIE??!?

HackerinPink

Did the Minetest Forums DIE??!?

by HackerinPink » Post

Yea so I noticed the latest ANYONE ever posted a reply/topic was Mid-2018.

This scares me since it's almost 2020 already and I don't see anything coming up!!
I really hope this forum didn't die, where would I get my CSM's!?!?

So please, someone who is still out there, REASSURE ME IMMEDIATELY!

Thanks, -HackerinPink
A Dude with power and Intellect.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: Did the Minetest Forums DIE??!?

by FreeGamers » Post

So please, someone who is still out there, REASSURE ME IMMEDIATELY!
Rest assured... There have indeed been replies and topics between 2018 and now. Quite many. Even for CSM's. I think you may be misreading the "original post date" as the "latest reply date". Many threads are relevant many years after they are initially created.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

If you are looking at forum.minetest.net, then all is well, and recent posts are available.

IF you are viewing the forums from ANY other site, then you have been duped, and are not viewing the REAL, authentic Minetest website.

Ensure that ONLY forum.minetest.net is the actual address that you are using.

There are other sites that will try to lie to you about being the OFFICIAL website, but ONLY forum.minetest.net is authentic, all others are RISKY, and should be avoided like the plague. In fact, there is one website, that will remain nameless, that is an actual THREAT to all users who visit the site.

Do yourself, and the ENTIRE Minetest community a favor, and avoid all sites that are not forum.minetest.net!

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

What is the deal with this? I see sentiments concerning this issue echoed and murmured frequently around here. I've been here maybe 5 months now. Seems like some crazy drama went down. On second thought, I don't need to know. Sounds like petty garbage.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

HackerinPink

by HackerinPink » Post

Well I just logged on, and yes I am assured! But not entirely...
On the bottom of your average Minetest forum, it shows how many people, registered or not, are online. It also shows the record I guess, for how many people are online.
Now, I definitely think the forum is still alive, but barely...
I mean, before, new posts were quite frequent, and there were a lot of more contributions to the forum made then now.

My point is that something happened around Mid-2018, and the popularity/usage of the forum has decreased dramatically!
I think we all need to find out why...

HackerinPink

by HackerinPink » Post

ShadMOrdre said:
"IF you are viewing the forums from ANY other site, then you have been duped, and are not viewing the REAL, authentic Minetest Website"

Yea, what??

I never heard of a website that would go through the pain and legal issues of reproducing the ENTIRE forums on their website for close to no reason.
That sounds stupid and I'm glad I don't use any reproduction/archive copy of the forums.

P.S. I'm not using the nice neat little formatting for replies or "quotes" due to some weird browser issue. Sorry bout that...
Last edited by HackerinPink on Wed Oct 30, 2019 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Well, if that is the case, feel free to recommend Minetest to other people when you have the opportunity. I've spend the last 5 months designing a game / server for the engine in my spare time (which has been painfully plentiful lately). When my server is in a more stable and mature release state, I'll begin sharing it with family and friends more frequently.
I like being involved in the community too and following what other people make. Its been nice. People come and go. As long as there are more people coming than going, there will be more activity.
HackerinPink wrote:I'm GLAD I don't use any reproduction
Yeah, I don't know why someone would script duplication of a forum that isn't theirs and host it. But I've seen it myself and its confusing. Sounds like a waste of energy.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

FreeGamers wrote: Yeah, I don't know why someone would script duplication of a forum that isn't theirs and host it. But I've seen it myself and its confusing. Sounds like a waste of energy.
They put ads on it and get revenue from them
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

PolySaken wrote:They put ads on it and get revenue from them
Wow, how much of a scrounger can one be? Luckily, I can't stand the web without an adblocker on my browser.

HackerinPink

by HackerinPink » Post

Yes, an adblocker is the holy grail of all internet, use it always! But the mystery of the minetest forum inactivity still continues.. I have made a few demanding posts to see if anyone will reply. (And for other reasons too.. I'm not that desperate.)

But maybe I am! I really can't stand a mystery like this going unsolved. Hope someone finds the answer, I'm trying too.

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

I think there are much less posts on the forum because everyone is spending way too much time playing Minetest 5,
and THAT'S A SHAME !
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

HackerinPink

Re: Pyrollo

by HackerinPink » Post

Pyrollo, I completely agree, I personally don't like the 0.5 versions... I have many reasons. (not to be discussed here)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

No.

I don't understand you at all. The Minetest forums are not dead at all. They are very alive and kicking. Every subforum has a post from a few days ago, many threads are from today. Even a mod was posted today.

I don't know where you got this idea from that all posts are from last year. Strange.

HackerinPink

Re: Wuzzy

by HackerinPink » Post

Yes you are correct Wuzzy, as previous posts have proven to me that the forums aren't dead, however, the forums aren't the most lively either. It seems like the forums are just not as they used to, but i don't know for sure.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

It might be somewhat less active than before mid 2018, which is fine, quality is more important than quantity. It is obviously far from dead.

runs

by runs » Post

Promotion, promotion and promotion.

HackerinPink

by HackerinPink » Post

Well this has been a fun thread. I feel quite confident now that the forums are 100% positively not dead!

@paramat:
Yes, that statement does summarize the whole thing. Also, I feel quite honored for a developer to drop in, Thanks!
Also, talking about DEVELOPING things.... I made a new post in 'General Discussion' and i'm stupid, so if anyone can, drop in there if you can help.

davidthecreator
GitHub: daviddoesminetest
In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

by davidthecreator » Post

Well yes, but actually no...
//Wonder if this has anything to do with No Nut November ... hmmmm...

guess modders (such as myself) are just a bit too busy to work as efficiently as before... but you might expect more content in near future...

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

davidthecreator wrote:guess modders (such as myself) are just a bit too busy to work as efficiently as before...
Yes, also: Since I use the mods I released in normal private and public gameplay, too, I know that all of my currently released mods are properly working with the currently released stable Minetest version there is just nothing to do with them because – well – they just function as expected.

So I am not actively doing much in the mod’s threads except answering occasional questions. Its also all hosted on GitLab and released in CDB and there are general links in my mod’s forum postings so I don’t need to change the links and look at the threads when I release a new version (I just drop a note on important changes).

HackerinPink

by HackerinPink » Post

Okay so update: There had been a forum server crash.
That's it.
That's the great mystery.
I kind of regret my post being made such a big deal for something so insignificant. But anyways, that's pretty much it. Just a server crash.