An Android version test from a young German casual player

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

An Android version test from a young German casual player

by Linuxdirk » Post

The other day I stumbled upon this video created by a young German who creates short and simple let’s play videos of various games. In this video the creator does a shallow review of the official Minetest version for Android.

The video was recorded in German directly from the smartphone and is purely from the point of view of a casual player never had any contact with Minetest before.

Watch the German video: Minetest: THE WORST COPY OF MINECRAFT EVER

Main points of this video:

Implied criticism and issues
  • Ugly main menu and worlds named “unnamed” with random number
  • No item names are shown in UI
  • Hotbar inventory slots on top not on bottom
  • “Maybe better don’t name it Mine‘TEST’”
Confusions
  • Creative mode and damage being two different settings (“You can die in creative mode – what is this shit?”)
  • Dropped nodes are not picked up automatically
  • “Sprinting is not possible”
  • “How to leave the world?”
  • Privilege system (“I enabled fly mode but I can’t fly”)
Problems
  • Taking items from creative mode inventory
  • Leaving the inventory formspec
  • Node placement
  • Controls
Good things
  • Minimap
  • Player model “looks cool”
  • Rivers carving through the terrain “looks epic”
  • Some nice own nodes
  • TNT particles
Rating System and final results
  • Gameplay: 1/5, “creative is bugged” (reduced from 2/5 because missing NPCs)
  • Story: 0/5, “no story nor mobs nor structures”
  • Graphics: 3/5, “looks like Minecraft”
  • Creativity: 1/5 “copied from Minecraft but good own nodes”

I just wanted to leave that here for discussion on how it could be possible to improve the Android client (or Minetest and Minetest Game in general) in a way that it is appealing and less confusing for casual players who never had contact with Minetest before.

runs

Re: An Android version test from a young German casual playe

by runs » Post

A realistic review.

Now it's time to get better.

Ugly main menu and worlds named “unnamed” with random number: Irrelevant
No item names are shown in UI: Irrelevant
Hotbar inventory slots on top not on bottom: Irrelevant
“Maybe better don’t name it Mine‘TEST’”: Irrelevant

Confusions

Creative mode and damage being two different settings (“You can die in creative mode – what is this shit?”): Irrelevant
Dropped nodes are not picked up automatically: Yes, there is a mod. I have it and I'm happy with it.
“Sprinting is not possible”: A fault.
“How to leave the world?”: Irrelevant
Privilege system (“I enabled fly mode but I can’t fly”): Irrelevant

Problems

Taking items from creative mode inventory: Irrelevant
Leaving the inventory formspec: Irrelevant
Node placement: Irrelevant
Controls: Irrelevant

Good things

Minimap
Player model “looks cool”
Rivers carving through the terrain “looks epic”
Some nice own nodes
TNT particles

Rating System and final results

Gameplay: 1/5, “creative is bugged” (reduced from 2/5 because missing NPCs): No bugged.
Story: 0/5, “no story nor mobs nor structures”: Mods.
Graphics: 3/5, “looks like Minecraft”: No, Minecraft looks better cos a better lighting system.
Creativity: 1/5 “copied from Minecraft but good own nodes”: No a copy.

zing269

by zing269 » Post

The first problem is comparing Minetest to Minecraft, that sets certain expectations and that makes up about half of his issues. Unfortunately most new players will make the same comparison given Minecraft's popularity.

Personally I'm fine with the menu, it isn't great but Minecraft's is worse.

The controls are much improved from earlier versions. I'd like to see all of the controls on the sides, and only move them to the top / bottom if there isn't enough space. I also find the "press anywhere on the left to get the d-pad" awful, I'm glad I found the setting to disable that. My granddaughter assures me that the controls in the mobile version of Minecraft are also horrible compared to the PC version. In fact she refuses to play that version without attaching a keyboard and mouse to her phone.

I like the fact that you can disable damage without being in creative mode. Lets me see how a mod or game works without dying every few minutes (I'm looking at you water game). I haven't found much use for creative with damage, so perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to uncheck enable damage when checking creative mode, but it isn't that big of a deal.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is Minetest Game being the default. Of course this has been discussed to death elsewhere, I don't see the need to have another thread on the deficiencies of MTG. Maybe MTG should present the player with a sign when they first spawn stating that it isn't a complete game and direct them to the content tab and the forum.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

zing269 wrote:Personally I'm fine with the menu, it isn't great but Minecraft's is worse.
But how? The last time I checked Minecraft's main menu it looked fantastic and super polished and it wasn't cluttered with buttons, input fields, and tabs all over the place. This is what a good main menu is about. Providing most relevant options in a simple way. A good main menu for a game (engine) like Minetest has four options: Single Player, Multiplayer, Options, Quit.

Visual style aside, Minetest's main manu looks like a condiguration dialog for a technical application and not like a main menu for a game!

The informational web page Game UI Patterns sums this up very well.
The main menu should be clear and straightforward. Effort should be made to limit the menu items to as few options as possible. [...] Avoid switching navigation types between the Main Menu and sub menu. [...] Switching navigation types between menus will force the player to think more to achieve their task.
https://gameuipatterns.com/gameui/main-menu/
zing269 wrote:The controls are much improved from earlier versions.
Yes, the controls are better. And because I knew Minetest before it was easy for me to familiarize myself with the Android client controls. But the average, casual, inexperienced player struggles with simple tasks like placing and digging nodes or taking stuff from the creative inventory.
zing269 wrote:I like the fact that you can disable damage without being in creative mode. [...] I haven't found much use for creative with damage, [...] it isn't that big of a deal.
Yes, for testing and developing it is fine. you can check how a mod behaves. But people just expect "creative mode" in a voxel game being a creative mode (being able to fly, no damage, no drowning, etc.). When I think of back when I first tried it I was the same as the guy who made the video. Things just didn't work as expected. But I was able to figure everything out very well because I am a coder and developer (not Minetest, though) myself.

But when developing a game (or any software) always keep in mind who your audience is. For a game the target audience should be gamers.

zing269

by zing269 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote: But when developing a game (or any software) always keep in mind who your audience is. For a game the target audience should be gamers.
I certainly can't disagree with that statement, but here's where you have to separate Minetest the engine from games using the engine.

What you download from here or compile from git is the engine, along with that comes a large tech demo, code sample, or "modding base", called Minetest Game. Think of Minetest Game like the Northwinds database that came with Microsoft Access. The target audience is developers and as such most of the menu design and options are targeted to that audience. The fact that people are using the development environment as an end product is a side effect of open development and the engine devs shouldn't waste their time prettying it up for casual players. Not that there isn't anything to do in the engine, the control scheme and it's exposure to lua needs work before game devs can improve things much.

Developers of games using the Minetest engine are responsible for including a proper menu and sane options. I think that there have been one or two stand alone games released that use the Minetest engine, although I can't recall their names at the moment and I don't believe that I ever tried one. Since the unfortunately named Minetest Game is not in fact a game and is also meant for development use pretty much negates any complaints about its design as it doesn't really have one. Once again the "Rename Minetest Game" and "Ship a better default game" topics have been beaten to death elsewhere.

There are several promising games in development and perhaps their devs will release them as stand alone products, with a proper front end, and using the Minetest engine as it appears the original devs envisioned it.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Upps,
I thought minetest was a test about a game to make people get involved with programming and ideas ?
(As it is open source and not looking for profit ?)

As I would not have touched minetest at beginning if I had not some knowledge about hardware, OS and some coding incl. Firewall / Port-forwarding ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

zing269 wrote:What you download from here or compile from git is the engine, along with that comes a large tech demo, code sample, or "modding base", called Minetest Game.
You know that. I know that. The people in this forum here also know that (at least most of them, I guess). But still: The casual player does not know that. They start the Minetest launcher and figure out how to create and start a new world. So "Minetest Game" as it is is the thing that is Minetest to them.

They might know the concept of an ingame content browser/installer from other games but clicking through several menu pages and waiting a few minutes (depending on internet connection speed) before it shows up is not what is expected. And that mods have to be enabled within the world configuration is also a concept that most people are not familiar with. People might not even know that Minetest has mod support nor do they know the concept of "Games".

Fun fact: in the most recent Android version the currently available Android client has an issue with the Content browser: you simply cannot search. You can tap the search bar and enter something. But as soon as you tab "Done" or the checkmark the input dialog disappears and the search bar stays empty. Oh, and after tapping the Content Browser button of course Android told me that the app does not react anymore and asks me if I want to close it.
zing269 wrote:Developers of games using the Minetest engine are responsible for including a proper menu and sane options.
Yes, exactly. But they can't because there are no API functions for accessing the menu dialog system. and therefore the UI has to be improved by the Minetest developers. It should at least be polished. And if it is only reducing the amount of information showed on one menu page - Even if they don't like it personally. A saying from the marketing sector is "The worm has to taste good to the fish, not the fisherman". This applies here, too: If developers and tech savvy people are the audience of Minetest, then yes, this is fine. The cluttered menu pages, the annoyingly boring website, the complicated mod handling, even the controls of the Android client.

All of this screams "this is made for developers and not for gamers that are not interested in development" but the same time it is said that "Minetest is a game", which is neither the case for "Minetest" nor "Minetest Game".
zing269 wrote:I think that there have been one or two stand alone games released that use the Minetest engine
Nope. Due to the concept of the Minetest Engine there is no such sting as "standalone games". You can fork the engine and modify things to remove the "border" between the game and the engine like Voxelands did, for example. But those are not Minetest games but modified forks of the engine.

But that's not the point here. The point is that the Android client is counter-intuitive, ugly, feels bugged, and a casual gamer (not non-gamer but also not a tech savvy developer/gamer) rates it 5 out of 20. So there has to be done something to make it more appealing to gamers or do not have it in the Play Store's "Games" category.

Bastrabun

by Bastrabun » Post

Maybe we should stop pretending, that Minetest is something totally different than Minecraft.

This guy who reviewed Minetest deliberately wanted to not like it, but endorse Minecraft instead. I'm not sure whether his language is derogatory because of his portrayed personality or because he wants to press into the "its bad, because its not Minecraft" point. Maybe he wants to exploit the "roasting a game" wave blowing through youtube, where a 2019 review of a 1995 game would criticize the graphics, held to 2019 standards :D

Regarding the content, he talks about "bugs" where sometimes his own inability comes in the way, sometimes the mobile client and sometimes his unwillingness to spend a second thought on something.

Although sometimes he has a point by accident, e.g. when he criticises the name "Minetest".

In general, it sounds like the review of Linux from the perspective of a Microsoft user. Positive: No bluescreens. Negative: Is not Windows and has no MS Office.
Whatever I say is CC0

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

This is really insightful to get a first-hand, unbiased perspective from a casual player. A couple of the points I kind of disagree with(like automatically picking up dropped items), but at the same time some of it comes down to personal opinions about how the game mechanics should work, not necessarily that the game mechanics are "wrong" per se.

I'll admit, my first experience with the Android client was less than positive, mostly due to the awkward controls. This was several months ago, however. Hopefully things have improved since then :)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sorcerykid wrote:This is really insightful to get a first-hand, unbiased perspective from a casual player.
Maybe not completely unbiased, but actually pretty honest.
sorcerykid wrote:I'll admit, my first experience with the Android client was less than positive, mostly due to the awkward controls.
Yes, the controls are the most relevant point here, I guess. Those are just jittery and sluggish at the same time due to the fact that none of the controls were made with a mobile application in mind.

It is just regular scaled down Minetest with touch controls slapped on it. Wich is good for developers because stuff has to be done only once. But there is a reason why Minecraft mobile is a completely different application than Minecraft.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

@runs: Sorry, I'm afraid you're completely mistaken. You didn't watch the video. In the video you can see clear evidence of outright bugs and horrible usability problems on Android. Your “irrelevant” notes are based on hearsay. Sorry.

Ouch. Boy, it looks like the Android version is so broken that it's basically unplayable. That's a pretty serious issue. I don't use Android, so I can only rely on hearsay. But this video is pretty good information.

Apparently, “moving items in inventory” is broken. In the video you can see how the cursor magically jumps to the top left corner for some reason. This is a critical bug that makes the game basically unplayable.

The controls in general also make problems, it seems that nerdpoling is hard to do. The player said that you have to do painful finger acrobatics … Note that playing on Android is very different, so good controls are VERY important, so any issues with controls should not be taken lightly.

The player also had trouble with privileges. I wonder how you are even supposed to grant yourself privs. Maybe it's not possible? So basically it's not possible to fly in singleplayer …

Based on the video, I'd say the Android version is indeed garbage. It's so bad that it's almost unplayable. Many critical features are either broken or implemented in a very confusing way. I wonder which version he was using …
For now, the Android should be de-published from the big platforms (Google Play, etc.) until it is in a state that is at least barely playable. At least write a big fat “PREVIEW VERSION! EXPECT BUGS.” warning across it and maybe a link to the “real” Minetest (PC version).

A lot of criticism is actually a criticism of MTG (no mobs, etc.), all of which I agree 100%. Face it, people, players want to see a game, not a tech demo. The concept of “modding base” makes no sense on Android. It's just another example of how MTG is seriously damaging the reputation of Minetest. Either ship a different default game, or none at all (and start with the Content DB window instead).

The ugliness of the main menu is also a very valid criticism. Main menu is not only ugly but simply bad UI design in general. Main menu needs a complete overhaul, ESPECIALLY on Android. The PC main menu doesn't seem to make much sense on Android.

- Ugly main menu and worlds named “unnamed” with random number: No idea how this happened, the creation of worlds was off-camera
- No item names are shown in UI: Seems valid. Nowhere in the video can you see tooltips. How are you supposed to see the item name in Android? There's no mouse cursor, only your fingers … Looks like there are no tooltips on Android
- Hotbar inventory slots on top not on bottom: Clear Minecraft bias shows here. This can be dismissed ;)
- Creative mode and damage being two different settings: Another Minecraft bias. But yes it's a little confusing. It seems MT just failed to make the distinction of damage and creative mode clear
- “How to leave the world?”: Good question. How DO you leave the world in Android?
- TNT particles: Actually, this point was obvious sarcasm. :P

My Conclusion:
Although the review was superficial, it has many valid complaints. The Android issues are very serious. There were also a couple of falsehoods in the video, which is not surprising given that is was superficial. But the video is still very important insight.

I highly recommend to depublish the Android version from the Play Store at this stage. It's NOT ready for primetime yet, and many bugs and UI issues need to be fixed first. At least show a warning on start

I disagree completely that Minetest (he means Minetest Game) is the WORST MINECRAFT COPY EVER. :D He obviously didn't look hard enough. There are clones that are worse. For example: Craft (no features), Freeminer (broken), the billions of ad-infested Minetest forks on Android, dozens of old Flash games, …

PS: I bet the player will be shocked when he learns his video on this tiny YT channel generated such a large discussion. :D

zing269

by zing269 » Post

This is based on a dev build of 5.0, the google play version is at 5.0.0, F-droid is 5.1.0. I also have not watched the full video.
Wuzzy wrote: Apparently, “moving items in inventory” is broken. In the video you can see how the cursor magically jumps to the top left corner for some reason. This is a critical bug that makes the game basically unplayable.
You can move inventory around in a few ways. You can drag the stack between slots. If you tap the stack it flies up to the corner, I assume to indicate it is selected, and then you tap again to put it in a slot. You can drag a stack over a slot, then while holding it there, tap with a different finger somewhere else to drop one item from the stack to the slot it is hovering over. It takes some practice but it isn't that bad. Since you don't have a "shift" you can't move just half a stack, it all or one.
The drag to a slot motion like he is using in the video is a bit tricky, the target is small and if you miss it is interpreted as a tap instead and the item flies up to the corner. To leave the inventory you double tap outside the area.
Wuzzy wrote: The player also had trouble with privileges. I wonder how you are even supposed to grant yourself privs. Maybe it's not possible? So basically it's not possible to fly in singleplayer …
You touch the vertical 3 dots on the left and touch the speech bubble to get a chat line. Then it's just /grantme fly.
Wuzzy wrote: - Ugly main menu and worlds named “unnamed” with random number: No idea how this happened, the creation of worlds was off-camera
That is what you get if you don't name the world. It is obvious from the world list that he was able to name one, you are presented a form nearly identical to the PC version so the complaint is unfounded.
Wuzzy wrote: - “How to leave the world?”: Good question. How DO you leave the world in Android?
Swipe down to exit "full screen", go back.
Wuzzy wrote: A lot of criticism is actually a criticism of MTG (no mobs, etc.), all of which I agree 100%. Face it, people, players want to see a game, not a tech demo. The concept of “modding base” makes no sense on Android. It's just another example of how MTG is seriously damaging the reputation of Minetest. Either ship a different default game, or none at all (and start with the Content DB window instead).
Any game that works with 5.0+ would be better.

I have not played the mobile version of Minecraft so I can't compare the control schemes.

It does take some experimenting to figure out how to use the Android version, there is no in game help and nowhere is the control scheme explained. Interactions with blocks can be hit or miss. Sometimes you can just touch and hold on a block to dig, sometimes you have to kind of double tap and hold. It seems to be related to if the block selected / outlined or not.

I did note that he was in creative mode and between the extended reach and instant digging in creative mode makes most of the interaction problems worse.

All in all the Android version isn't completely unplayable but it can be frustrating. Most of the UI is still PC centric, the controls are small and somewhat unresponsive. There is no doubt that many Android players try it once and drop it.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Ah, so the features are there, they are just hidden behind bad UI.

Hmmm, this begs the question: Do we even have a manual or any documentation on how to use Minetest on Android? Like, a wiki page or something? Sounds like it would be desperately needed.

However, the item moving bug seems still real. It looked to me the cursor jumped to the top left corner for no reason whenever he tried to touch an item in the inventory. Something smells wrong here.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:The player also had trouble with privileges. I wonder how you are even supposed to grant yourself privs.
You click the three dots on the left, then you click the speech bubble, and then you type /grantme XYZ, where XYZ is the permission you want. Not intuitive at all and needs prior knowledge of how the Minetest permissions system works. Managing permissions (even such fundamental ones as flying in creative mode) on Android is as inconvenient as it is on PC. There is no easy way to set permissions on either of the platforms and on Android it’s even harder.
Wuzzy wrote:- Ugly main menu and worlds named “unnamed” with random number: No idea how this happened, the creation of worlds was off-camera
This is the default behavior if you do not enter a name. Instead of something sane like “Unnamed World (created: DATE)” it was decided by nerzhul to use what we have right now.

The main issue is that directory name == world name. If there were a field in one of the world-specific meta data files that defines the name of the world it would be better because then there would be proper world names. Like it is right now, with the stupid “unnamedRANDOM”, it is just nonsense. Having “world_INCREMENTAL” would be much better and easier to understand and remember.
Wuzzy wrote:Looks like there are no tooltips on Android
Yes, that’s the case. Minetest was made with “always having a mouse cursor” in mind and was never properly adapted to mobile platforms.
Wuzzy wrote:- Hotbar inventory slots on top not on bottom: Clear Minecraft bias shows here. This can be dismissed ;)
In the early days of Minecraft the “hotbar slots” were on top, too. But the Minetest developers reconsidered that and moved those slots to the bottom. Which makes sense, because the hotbar is on the bottom, why should the hotbar slots be on the top then?
Wuzzy wrote:- “How to leave the world?”: Good question. How DO you leave the world in Android?
On latest Android you swipe in the client’s UI from the right or from the left (depending on device orientation) and tap the “back” arrow. This opens the escape button menu. Having an actual ingame option for that instead having to use the Android UI functionality to trigger ingame actions would be better, but I guess that’s the best we can get with a non-optimized application.
Wuzzy wrote:I disagree completely that Minetest (he means Minetest Game) is the WORST MINECRAFT COPY EVER. :D He obviously didn't look hard enough.
On the bright side: He tried the official app (the Minetest app that has the least amount of downloads) instead of one of the clones.
Wuzzy wrote:PS: I bet the player will be shocked when he learns his video on this tiny YT channel generated such a large discussion. :D
A large and absolutely valid discussion :)

zing269

by zing269 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Ah, so the features are there, they are just hidden behind bad UI.
If you've never played the PC version you'll be completely lost. There was some sustained development for android during the 5.0 dev cycle but it was almost entirely devoted to the main interface.

Wuzzy wrote:Hmmm, this begs the question: Do we even have a manual or any documentation on how to use Minetest on Android? Like, a wiki page or something? Sounds like it would be desperately needed.
I never found any. A wiki page would be better than nothing but how is an Android player to find it?
Wuzzy wrote: However, the item moving bug seems still real. It looked to me the cursor jumped to the top left corner for no reason whenever he tried to touch an item in the inventory. Something smells wrong here.
It appears that it is working as designed, though perhaps not as intended. In the video at 8:35 he touch the acacia trunk, moves it about a bit, and then lifts his finger. Since the block wasn't over a slot it could be placed in (you can't drag it back into the creative inventory) the game decide to treat it as "selected" and it flies up into the corner. After that every time he touched the screen the game tried to place the acacia trunk, since he isn't touching anywhere that could accept the block it files back up to the corner since it is still selected. This behavior is counter-intuitive and definitely needs an overhaul, maybe just highlight the selected item's square like the hotbar does instead of flying off to the corner.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

"Ugly main menu": There is a lot of formspec work going on recently to make it more flexible.
"worlds named “unnamed” with random number": Yes, we intend to improve that, i cannot stand that myself. Issue exists.

The first 3 'confusions' are just unreasonable expections of MC behaviour. They criticise for being a MC copy (which it is not) but then also expect the same behaviour.
"Creative mode and damage being two different settings": It may seem odd at first but is more flexible and useful.

The 'controls problem' has no detail.

"Rating system and final results": Are mostly referring to MTG. They cannot judge MT from only MTG.
I agree we need to 'manage expectations of MTG', there is an issue.
We also realise we need a more impressive game included.
“creative is bugged”: Why?

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

paramat wrote:"Ugly main menu": There is a lot of formspec work going on recently to make it more flexible.
Which is good, yes. But I also know we won’t ever have something like this.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch& ... +main+menu

You (a generic “you”, not you personally) may not like it, but face it: this is the reality and what is the state of the art when it comes to mobile game main menus.

And I somewhat agree. For a desktop version the Irrlicht UI on crack may be sufficient, but for mobile applications it is not. Mobile players want to casually launch the app and play. THey do not want to configure and mess with settings. So everything above roughly “Start Game”, “Options”, “Quit” is too much for a mobile game.

You simply cannot slap a half-assed touch interface on an existing UI and call it “mobile”.
paramat wrote:"worlds named “unnamed” with random number": Yes, we intend to improve that, i cannot stand that myself. Issue exists.
I know that issue and that’s a good thing. I also took part on the discussion of this but lost interest because of how this was put in second place and one dev single-handedly decided what to use.
paramat wrote:They criticise for being a MC copy (which it is not) but then also expect the same behaviour.
Don’t be delusional. Minetest is HEAVILY influenced by Minecraft and resembles early beta versions of it without mobs but with modding API. You can’t deny this fact. You also can’t ignore that people expect games of the same type behave somewhat identical.

If you have different jump and run games you expect certain mechanics (running left to right, jump to reach platforms, stomp enemies, powerups, etc.) also with racing games (3rd person view with road in front of you, boosts, steering left and right, gameplay separated in races and laps). Same with voxel games (hotbar items on bottom of menu because that’s where the hotbar is located in the UI, invulnerable and being able to fly when in creative mode, mobs to fight at night, sprinting, etc.)
paramat wrote:"Creative mode and damage being two different settings": It may seem odd at first but is more flexible and useful.
Yes, but it is counter-intuitive independent from Minetest. All the games I played so far (indie titles and AAA games) that have a sandbox for creative activities allow me to fly around (if applicable) and remove all damage mechanics.
paramat wrote:The 'controls problem' has no detail.
Just look at the video. He constantly struggles to properly place and get nodes and the inventory seems not to work at all because it works completely counter-intuitive. Iven I have no clue what to do when an item moves to the top left corner when taking it from the inventory. I just try again multiple times until I get the item I want.
paramat wrote:"Rating system and final results": Are mostly referring to MTG.
Because – like it, or not – Minecraft is the number one top notch state-of-the-art voxel game out there. OF COUSE other voxel games are measured against it.
paramat wrote:“creative is bugged”: Why?
This is what the creator concludes because of the inventory issue, damage enabled, no fly mode enabled, and no fast mode (sprinting) possible.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

> Minetest is HEAVILY influenced by Minecraft and resembles early beta versions of it without mobs but with modding API.

Yes i agree, it has many similarities but it is not a copy or clone, the engine has differed significantly from early on. MTG suffered from some MC copying early on but increasingly diverges.
Anyway, this is mostly semantics.

> You also can’t ignore that people expect games of the same type behave somewhat identical.
If you have different jump and run games you expect certain mechanics [...]

It is natural to have expectations based on game type, but unreasonable to insist these expectations are then met, as games differ.
Also, my point was about the reviewers expectation of 'identical' behaviour, not 'somewhat identical', and the hypocrisy of that while criticising lack of originality.

> Yes, but it is counter-intuitive independent from Minetest.

Ok, it is not expected, but it is actually useful, so it is fine, and possibly better. So not a problem. The reviewer might realise this if they gave MT some more time.

> Minecraft is the number one top notch state-of-the-art voxel game out there. OF COUSE other voxel games are measured against it.

That is likely, but it is unreasonable to compare an engine created by unpaid volunteers to a game of one the world's most significant and highly-valued (2.5 billion USD) professional game devlopers without taking into account the vast difference in resources.
MT is actually quite impressive compared to most other free games.

> I just wanted to leave that here for discussion on how it could be possible to improve the Android client (or Minetest and Minetest Game in general) in a way that it is appealing and less confusing for casual players who never had contact with Minetest before.

Since you have good intention to improve the Android veriosn, please could you search through the Android issues to check all the the reviewer's criticisms are covered, and open new issues if not? I expect there are issues for most or all.
Discussion is not enough, there needs to be an official record of all problems in the repo, otherwise stuff is highly likely to be missed or forgotten.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

They criticise for being a MC copy (which it is not) but then also expect the same behaviour.
Personally, I'm not really having a problem if MT behavior is not identical.

Whether the hotbar is up or down … that's something that could be argued to death. That's also a game-specific thing as well. This is one of the things that starts religious wars. ;-)

But maybe there could be a setting that allows to flip the hotbar position? Downside is that it makes inventory code more complex.
"Creative mode and damage being two different settings": It may seem odd at first but is more flexible and useful.
I actually like this separation, too. Very helpful for testing. But I never had the Minecraft bias as well; I never played Minecraft before. :P
I know Minecraft has “game modes”, Minetest has no such thing.

However, I don't think the separation is actually very useful for actual gameplay.

So, while I think it should be kept, maybe these things could be renamed to avoid confusion. I'm not sure …
The 'controls problem' has no detail.
Read what I've written. It seems the Android version has outright bugs that makes moving items in inventory impossible.

Yes i agree, it has many similarities but it is not a copy or clone, the engine has differed significantly from early on. MTG suffered from some MC copying early on but increasingly diverges.
Anyway, this is mostly semantics.
I can agree with this philosophy, Minetest need not be a perfect MC clone. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't shamelessly rip off the good ideas. My dev philosophy for MCL2 is: Rip off the good stuff, ignore the stupid ideas. :)

It is natural to have expectations based on game type, but unreasonable to insist these expectations are then met, as games differ.
Also, my point was about the reviewers expectation of 'identical' behaviour, not 'somewhat identical', and the hypocrisy of that while criticising lack of originality.
BOOM!
That is likely, but it is unreasonable to compare an engine created by unpaid volunteers to a game of one the world's most significant and highly-valued (2.5 billion USD) professional game devlopers without taking into account the vast difference in resources.
MT is actually quite impressive compared to most other free games.
That's not a good argument. Minecraft did not start with billions of dollars. Minecraft started as an indie game. Also, where's your pride? Just because Minetest is a volunteer project doesn't mean we shouldn't aim to create something great!
Yeah, Minetest is indeed one of the better FOSS projects but I'm still fully convinced there's much room for improvement.
Since you have good intention to improve the Android veriosn, please could you search through the Android issues to check all the the reviewer's criticisms are covered, and open new issues if not? I expect there are issues for most or all.
Discussion is not enough, there needs to be an official record of all problems in the repo, otherwise stuff is highly likely to be missed or forgotten.
Very important indeed. But since I do not use the Android version, I can't really try to reproduce any of these issues. So I will not post any issue because I don't know if they are actually correct and up-to-date.

MY BIG QUESTION:
- Which of the outright bugs in this video can you, the Minetest players, reproduce? And what did you do?

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

paramat wrote:Ok, it is not expected, but it is actually […] better. So not a problem.
How high up in the air can one’s nose be?
paramat wrote:That is likely, but it is unreasonable to compare an engine created by unpaid volunteers to a game of one the world's most significant and highly-valued (2.5 billion USD) professional game devlopers without taking into account the vast difference in resources.
Minecraft started as a hobby project by a single person and was a hobby project of a single person for a long time. All the most relevant development decisions and game mechanics were created before Microsoft bought everything from Notch.
paramat wrote:MT is actually quite impressive compared to most other free games.
Xonotic is. Or SuperTuxKart is. Or Pioneer is. Or Battle for Wesnoth is. Or FlightGear is. I love Minetest because of what I can do with it. But I’m not delusional. It is a good game/engine but I’d never say that it is „impressive compared to most other free games“. It is the most advanced free voxel game, yes.
paramat wrote:Since you have good intention to improve the Android veriosn, please could you search through the Android issues to check all the the reviewer's criticisms are covered,
I have no idea how this will help you, but here you go:

Ugly main menu and worlds “unnamed” with random number No item names are shown in UI Hotbar inventory slots on top not on bottom
  • https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/8297 (general solution, just get rid of the first line and the other lines of the inventory and add a configuration option which line to use for the hotbar and use an widely accepoted and commonly used default)
“Maybe better don’t name it Mine‘TEST’” Creative mode and damage being two different settings “Sprinting is not possible” “How to leave the world?” (general Android UI issues) Privilege system
  • Improve /help privs and make it accessible via UI button
Taking items from creative mode inventory Node placement Since the Android version is basically the desktop version with a touch input layer slapped on top, most of the issues are Minetest and Minetest Game issues. Some are closed already (some of them by you).
paramat wrote:and open new issues if not?
Since I am not using GitHub I am not doing this.
Wuzzy wrote:Whether the hotbar is up or down … that's something that could be argued to death.
Actually no. This is a quite simple solution: If the hotbar is on the bottom, have the hotbar inventory slots on the bottom, too. If the hotbar is on the top, have the hotbar inventory slots on the top, too.
Last edited by Linuxdirk on Tue Feb 04, 2020 06:19, edited 2 times in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

"Does the it-sucks-but-it's-true nod." See what I have been telling people? The minimap does cause a massive fps drop. Truly remarkable that even to this day nothing has been done about that serious problem. If it happens on mobile devices (not just PCs) then you know that there is something wrong with the optimization there.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Inocudom wrote:If it happens on mobile devices (not just PCs) then you know that there is something wrong with the optimization there.
The Android version is not any different from the regular version except the added touch input so everything that is flawed on PC is flawed on Android, too (plus the issues with the touch input).

Buddler
In-game: Buddler
Location: Sometimes Redwood Island, sometimes Chillville, otherwise Germany

by Buddler » Post

The casual player believes KNOWS that Notch (or Microsoft if they're too young to know about pre-Microsoft Minecraft) invented the voxel mining game genre which therefore only consists of Minecraft (the alleged original) and Minecraft ripoffs that fail badly at being Minecraft because they aren't Minecraft. Mind you, these people also believe know that Microsoft invented both the computer operating system, the graphical user interface, the word processor and the spreadsheet application. They also believe that macOS (if they've ever heard of it) is a Windows ripoff for wealthy, latte-sipping hipsters, GNU/Linux (if they'e ever heard of it) is an amateurish Windows ripoff, and Android is an iOS ripoff for people who can't afford an iPhone.

This makes Minecraft the gold standard against which everything else has to be measured. If something, anything is different from how it is in Minecraft, it sucks because it fails at being Minecraft. So for these people, Minetest will suck hard unless it becomes a 1:1 Minecraft clone that does everything that Minecraft does in exactly the same way Minecraft does it and that looks exactly like Minecraft. So if items are automatically picked up in Minetest, or if you have a 3×3 crafting grid right away, or if redstone is yellow and called MESE, or if you can stack 99 instead of 64 items, this sucks for people used to Minecraft because it's different from Minecraft. Even if it's technically superiour, it's still different and therefore bad. I'm pretty sure they'll say that installing mods without having to weave them into the engine's code sucks too because that isn't how it's done in the "original". So the only way to make something better than Minecraft is to create such a 1:1 clone and pile cool stuff on top of it without changing anything about the being-exactly-like-Minecraft thing.

Of course, this is not Minetest's goal, and it shouldn't be. This means that Minetest will continue sucking for casual gamers who come from Minecraft, but that's the way it is. And Minetest already has one redeeming quality that's enough of an advantage over Minecraft that it has drawn a number of gamers from Minecraft to Minetest: It's free-to-play.

Another problem that arises here is that Minetest is basically unplayable for the vast majority of the Generation Z. Our generations are used to having actual computers for all kinds of gaming. This doesn't apply to the Zoomers. They only use computers for playing either the newest AAA games or Fortnite, and these computers are always overclocked, high-end dedicated gaming machines running Windows and Windows only. But for everything that's neither the newest hottest shit from Gamescom nor Fortnite they use their smartphone which is more often an Android phone than not. (BTW: Port Fortnite to Android and make smartphones powerful enough to run it at 1080p60 or even 4K120 on highest detail settings, and they won't need a computer anymore at all.)

This collides hard with Minetest's badly neglected Android client that's still mostly built for experienced GNU/Linux users but with touch controls slapped on it in order to compensate for the lack of a physical keyboard and a non-screen pointer device. It collides because the Android client is by far mostly used by people who usually don't even use Windows, let alone GNU/Linux.
Wuzzy wrote:Hmmm, this begs the question: Do we even have a manual or any documentation on how to use Minetest on Android? Like, a wiki page or something? Sounds like it would be desperately needed.
Having a wiki is all fine and dandy, but it's also highly inconvenient if you have to look up stuff while playing because there's no in-game guidance what-so-ever. Even desktop gamers can't be expected to run Minetest on one screen and have the official wiki open on another or to switch back and forth between Minetest and their browser with the wiki open. Parallel use of a wiki is useful for setting up Arch, but not for gaming.

Wikis maintained by a small community also tend to be somewhat unreliable unless you have good, dedicated, disciplined maintainers. If you don't, you end up with a wiki that's 20% "TODO" and 10–20% red links, and the rest may be outdated, written from a developer's rather than a player's POV or both.

What makes matters even worse is how difficult it is to wrap casual computer/smartphone users' minds around the fact that there are wikis out there that aren't Wikipedia. I kid you not.

And let's not forget one important thing: Gamers don't read manuals anymore, casual gamers doubly not. They want to jump right in without having to read up on stuff. The only way to teach a gamer how to play a game is an in-game tutorial.

If anything, the Android client has to become its very own entity with a specialised mobile graphical frontend instead of the desktop client built against an Android SDK plus touch controls in lieu of a mouse cursor that's expected to run as-is (even worse if it's ported and built by people who have never used it themselves and never will, and who simply assume that it works unless bug reports or, better yet, PRs come rolling in on Github). It has to be designed for touch controls first and foremost, it has to be intuitive and self-explanatory, even for people who don't know the desktop client (and I guess way more than 90% of all Android Minetest players don't).
Linuxdirk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:The player also had trouble with privileges. I wonder how you are even supposed to grant yourself privs.
You click the three dots on the left, then you click the speech bubble, and then you type /grantme XYZ, where XYZ is the permission you want. Not intuitive at all and needs prior knowledge of how the Minetest permissions system works. Managing permissions (even such fundamental ones as flying in creative mode) on Android is as inconvenient as it is on PC. There is no easy way to set permissions on either of the platforms and on Android it’s even harder.
Just like I've said: Minetest is designed for experienced GNU/Linux and console users in mind, and so is its Android client. But it ends up being used by people for whom anything that isn't 100% intuitive point-and-click is unusable; Windows users who have never laid their hands on some *nix at best, Android users who don't even have a freaking keyboard in the first place at worst.
Linuxdirk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:- Ugly main menu and worlds named “unnamed” with random number: No idea how this happened, the creation of worlds was off-camera
This is the default behavior if you do not enter a name. Instead of something sane like “Unnamed World (created: DATE)” it was decided by nerzhul to use what we have right now.
Only feasible solution: Make players enter names for their worlds. Refuse to generate worlds as long as there's no name entered.
Linuxdirk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:Looks like there are no tooltips on Android
Yes, that’s the case. Minetest was made with “always having a mouse cursor” in mind and was never properly adapted to mobile platforms.
Not only "always having a mouse cursor", but "always having a physical alphanumeric keyboard and a pointing device that isn't also your screen".
Linuxdirk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:- Hotbar inventory slots on top not on bottom: Clear Minecraft bias shows here. This can be dismissed ;)
In the early days of Minecraft the “hotbar slots” were on top, too. But the Minetest developers reconsidered that and moved those slots to the bottom. Which makes sense, because the hotbar is on the bottom, why should the hotbar slots be on the top then?
On the one hand, this falls under "It isn't identical to Minecraft, so it sucks."

On the other hand, if Minecraft used to be the same as Minetest is now, the player in question simply isn't old enough to remember. As I said, these gamer kiddies think Microsoft has created Minecraft, and they basically assume that Minecraft has always been the same as it was when they've discovered it.
Linuxdirk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:PS: I bet the player will be shocked when he learns his video on this tiny YT channel generated such a large discussion. :D
A large and absolutely valid discussion :)
Just link this thread under his video and see what happens.
paramat wrote:"Rating system and final results": Are mostly referring to MTG. They cannot judge MT from only MTG.
But they do. And why? Because they see Minetest as the same kind of closed, self-contained black box that's Minecraft instead of a modding platform with a basic game included (again, they find a voxel mining game and assume it's identical to Minecraft in everything but name and price). Because they don't know that Minetest is modular and consists of an engine and a basic game that has got next to nothing to do with the engine. Because they don't read up on stuff they randomly install from the Google Play Store and jump right in and derp around instead.

If you want casual gamers to like Minetest, you have to give them something that feels like a self-contained black box at first while giving them everything they desire. The alternative is to ignore the hate from the casual gamers and concentrate on the same target audience as GNU/Linux outside of Ubuntu and Linux Mint.