So forgive me for being a newbie but whats the news with Minetest?

PPPPPP42

So forgive me for being a newbie but whats the news with Minetest?

by PPPPPP42 » Post

From reading I get the impression that this 0.4 will sorta be the start of an alpha like complete game rather than just developmental stuff with major basic stuff not added yet. But all the dates on the other main site are months ago, whats the news? I'm probably just being an idiot and missing some obvious page with current news.

I really think this has more potential in the long run than Minecraft.

I ended up here mostly because Minecraft, has kinda disappointed me in both its wonderful choice of Java (cost me one video card so far) and the fact that after all this time it lacks character and somehow the game still seems to be missing a game. The addition of stuff like "the end" is kinda a half assed attempt at fixing that.
As a counter example I would offer up Terraria, a one man show that I feel had the perfect balance of sandbox and adventure game, with a crap load more interesting items and equipment (and everything for that matter). I still play Terraria but we were basically abandoned when the creator got bored one day, and I rather miss the 3D environment for full sandbox creativity.

I saw a thread on whether or not Minetest should keep following Minecraft feature and style wise so here is my opinion:
If Minetest stopped following Minecraft and perhaps went for more of a 3D Terraria style game I think it would very quickly pass up Minecraft.

And on another note why in the hell is "Minetest" considered an error by the spell checker in the Minetest forum? :)

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Post

Great to see new people coming here all the time. Its also great to see another person that has the same opinions about the end(who shall not be named anymore).

Right now celeron55 is MIA. We like to believe that he is taking a vacation but we don't really know. He won't abandon this project without actually saying so.

The good thing about Minetest is that you can, if you have the tools and knowledge, modify and add to the source code or make mods. You can also join us at irc if thats your thing.

irc: freenode #minetest, #minetest-mods, #minetest-delta

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

PPPPPP42 wrote:And on another note why in the hell is "Minetest" considered an error by the spell checker in the Minetest forum? :)
That's your browser. /me disabled spell check anyway.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

Hello there; I have been (and will be) focusing on other projects (for months, or so). However, I'm hanging around managing and keeping an eye on stuff.

A few people are doing a bit of core development, most notably darkrose (https://github.com/darkrose/minetest/). I also made a small source commit today, and have added two development wiki pages recently.

There is no big news to be expected, but expect bug fixes and small technical additions.

PPPPPP42

by PPPPPP42 » Post

Ah, good stuff, I was afraid perhaps it was another Terraria where once the developer moved to another project all work stopped because he wouldn't let anyone else touch it. Progress is good.

So I'll just keep checking back to the main page every few months and start seriously trying the game when this 0.4 major redo is finally released. Sounds like end of the yearish then.