high network data use

GayJesus

high network data use

by GayJesus » Post

I disable fancy stuff and reduced view to 20 but minetest uses nearly 1 MB of data a minute. Is this normal and what can I do to use less data on multiplayer?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: high network data use

by Krock » Post

1024 KB / 60s * 8(KB/kb) = ~136 kbps. This is clearly more data than a 56 kbps modem could process.

No client settings will reduce the network traffic. Change the server settings to update less mapblocks (disable mods), or move less entities (player limit, disable mobs mods).
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

GayJesus

by GayJesus » Post

Krock wrote:1024 KB / 60s * 8(KB/kb) = ~136 kbps. This is clearly more data than a 56 kbps modem could process.

No client settings will reduce the network traffic. Change the server settings to update less mapblocks (disable mods), or move less entities (player limit, disable mobs mods).

That's unfortunate because outside major cities in the USA most of us have rip off data limits and throttling. My phone said 3G but it was actually more like bouncing between 2-15kbps.
I wouldn't doubt many users here have tried and loved Minetest only to find it unplayable a day or 2 later. :(

MHL
GitHub: NOT APPLICABLE
IRC: NOT APPLICABLE
In-game: singleplayer

by MHL » Post

You can use two phone lines and a program to "combine" them to get 112kbps
or three to get about 168kbps
COME SEE MY MINETEST MAP!!!

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

migdyn wrote:You can use two phone lines and a program to "combine" them to get 112kbps
or three to get about 168kbps
I'd always been interested in network bonding but never had the opportunity (or need) to see it in action. Wouldn't the disjointed connections cause problems?

MHL
GitHub: NOT APPLICABLE
IRC: NOT APPLICABLE
In-game: singleplayer

by MHL » Post

I don't know, I have never tried it myself.