Getting Minetest working on Oculus Quest?

Crusage

Getting Minetest working on Oculus Quest?

by Crusage » Post

Oculus Quest is a standalone VR headset. It does not require a phone nor a computer. It is running a custom version of android which means it can run APK files.
The Oculus Quest subreddit has been asking for Minecraft since Oculus announced a standalone VR headset with motion controllers, so over a year atleast. Just search for "Minecraft" in the Oculus Quest subreddit and you will see what I mean.
Btw if you see people saying they got Minecraft working on the quest, it is either because they installed the Gear VR version, which requires a gamepad and does not work with motion controllers. Or they stream their computer to their Oculus Quest headset.
The closest we have is Voxel Works Quest. It works but there is really little content right now.
I have no idea how to even start with this, I can't program at all. So I was just wondering if any of you guys own a Oculus Quest or have a friend that owns it? If so, please try to get Minetest working on it, with motion controllers.
If you manage to get it working on the Quest, with multiplayer and mods. It would be a dream come true for everyone owning a Oculus Quest.
So please, anyone that has the possibility, please try. The whole community will love you.

TomMittelbach
GitHub: Tom4727
In-game: Tom

Re: Getting Minetest working on Oculus Quest?

by TomMittelbach » Post

Hello, I am working as a teacher at a secondary school in southern Germany. I'm starting a minetest project for school and teaching together with the state media center. As part of my anti-racist project "We Build History", I want the students to recreate historically significant buildings (including the Nazi concentration camp in Ulm) on our mineserver. This virtual building and site should then be accessible with the Oculus Quest. On github I found the user srifqi, who probably already wrote such a program as we are probably looking for. Unfortunately I have no idea how to contact him, or I just can't make it. Can someone help? It would be just great if we could do our minetest world with VR glasses. Thanks in advance! Tom

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

Re: Getting Minetest working on Oculus Quest?

by Neuromancer » Post

Crusage wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:52
Oculus Quest is a standalone VR headset. It does not require a phone nor a computer. It is running a custom version of android which means it can run APK files.
The Oculus Quest subreddit has been asking for Minecraft since Oculus announced a standalone VR headset with motion controllers, so over a year atleast. Just search for "Minecraft" in the Oculus Quest subreddit and you will see what I mean.
Btw if you see people saying they got Minecraft working on the quest, it is either because they installed the Gear VR version, which requires a gamepad and does not work with motion controllers. Or they stream their computer to their Oculus Quest headset.
The closest we have is Voxel Works Quest. It works but there is really little content right now.
I have no idea how to even start with this, I can't program at all. So I was just wondering if any of you guys own a Oculus Quest or have a friend that owns it? If so, please try to get Minetest working on it, with motion controllers.
If you manage to get it working on the Quest, with multiplayer and mods. It would be a dream come true for everyone owning a Oculus Quest.
So please, anyone that has the possibility, please try. The whole community will love you.
If you look at "Voxel Works Quest" git hub page(https://github.com/NeoSpark314/VoxelWorksQuest) , you can see that the developer actually used textures and sound effects from Minetest to create his game.

"The textures and sound effects used are from the minetest_game released under Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) and the mintest pixel perfection texture pack released under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International License."

VWQ is just an amazing teaser, there is so little content but it gives you enough of a taste to really make you want Minetest mod support for the quest. One thing that I really like about VWQ is the ability to climb cliffs using a hand over hand motion.
I did drop a line to the developer asking him to see if it was possible to add support into VWQ for Minetest Mods, though it would be equally good if the Minetest developers could come up with a Quest version.

With the popularity of the Oculus Quest this really is an opportunity to bring one of the best gaming experiences to VR with Minetest. I really do hope someday we can play Minetest on the Quest.