Must-have mods/game for a kids' server?

Pxtl
GitHub: Pxtl
IRC: Pxtl
In-game: Pxtl

Must-have mods/game for a kids' server?

by Pxtl » Post

Total newb here. I'm setting up a server for my daughter and her friends, running on a Pi4 2GB - got the bare minimum up. Domain name, default password, publicized on the browser where she can find it. Next steps are

1) Figuring out how to get MineClone2 installed so they can get a minecraft-like experience.

2) Getting them a gallery of skins to pick.

3) Mumble server.

4) Resurrect the installer (which means I have to figure out how to *build* Minetest, and I haven't used C++ in 15 years) so I can host it for ease of her friends.

I've given myself a 1-month deadline so it'll be ready for her birthday so we can have a Socially Distant Minetest Birthday. No, I don't think we'll be back at school in a month.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

MHL
GitHub: NOT APPLICABLE
IRC: MCL
In-game: singleplayer

Re: Must-have mods/game for a kids' server?

by MHL » Post

0. 2GiB on raspberry Pi? Are you sure? This much memory seems a bit unrealistic to me... :/
1. Download it, buy or borrow a CD/DVD/Blue-Ray from someone and put the MC2 directory in the games directory (if it does not exist, create it)
2. Several mods exist to do that, just search Minetest discussion bulletin board "for "skins" and check the topic only check box"
3. I don't know how to do that. Why though when Minetest has a built in chat functionality, alternatively you can set up an IRC server
4. If you have GNU/Linux it'll be rather easy just follow the instructions in the README.MD, if you have Windows NT or Windows it is somewhat harder and you will need other tools (most likely paid) and I can't help you with WinNT or regular Windows because I have never done it

I hope you learned something and that I helped you
COME SEE MY MINETEST MAP!!! FRANCAIS TRADDUCCIONS COMING SOON! ČESKY PŘEKLAD JIŽ NEDLOUHO!!!

GayJesus

by GayJesus » Post

Search Minetest Mods
https://krock-works.uk.to/minetest/modSearch.php

If you search "Rasp" in the "problems" section of the forum you might find useful answers.

https://dev.minetest.net/Compiling_Minetest

helpful for running a server
https://sourceforge.net/projects/minetest-utilities/

Pxtl

by Pxtl » Post

Okay, so, progress:

Mumble was super easy to deploy. Definitely recommend that.

Can't for the life of me get MineClone running on the server. When running a dedicated server, there doesn't appear to be any way to spawn the "new world" menu, nor any console commands for re-creating the game world with a new seed and new game/modset. What gives?

I've tried copying over a locally-generated MineClone2 world to my server and then replacing World with that, but then when I try to connect it just times out. I don't see any working MineClone2 worlds in the server browser... is MineClone2 dead?

Haven't started looking into building installer.

Thanks for the tip about minetest utilities, they look super useful.

edit: w000000000t! I'd screwed up the chmod, that's all. Fixed the privs and now my MC2 server is running!

Pxtl

by Pxtl » Post

Note, all the skin mods don't seem compatible with MineClone 2. Anybody have pointers on a MineClone2-compatible skin mod?