Promoting Minetest

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

Re: Promoting Minetest

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 16:56
Yeah, you can promote Minetest all you want, the problem is that it still kinda sucks,
if we're being completely honest
well to be completly honest mineclone2 kinda sucks, is there more to it than just zombies and abandoned mineshafts ? . not seen any updates of late , have you abandoned it in light of the up and coming crafter ?
The first thing that most players will see is MTG. This is a HUGE problem. MTG is a thing for which core devs now agree that it's not even meant as a game, but more as a modding base. Sure, that's interesting for servers and nerds (I give you that), sure, but definitely not for newbies. MTG must stop being the default game. Instead, high-quality games must be showcased prominently.
i think you are dead wrong MTG should be the showcase that intruduces newbies to the world of minetest after all it is a sandbox engine which should give the players the freedom to pick and choose from the wealth of ingenious mods that the community have created , the games featured are already outdated due to the lack of compatiblity with newer mods and utilities which breathe life back into older creations .take brutal doom for instance which done exactly that ,

A choice of well chosen compatible mods as a starter kit along with custom maps to highlight aspects , more focus on in game incentives the awards mods is an excellent example but it needs expanding . great things come in small packages as its all about the details. make them really shine . use them as the building blocks of the future .make everything compatible and interconecting . imagine finding a portal in game that promotes and entirely different aspect of gameplay that in turn leads you to the fully fledged game .
at present i am on the roof of my house in my sun room while angry wasps are battering agianst the glass . beyond are the grasslands where wild wolf packs are hunting down foxes , i got my eye on the badgers and hedgehogs foraging in the garden below .i see the ogres on the tundra are gradually roaming closer and are now taking out the wolf packs . i have no idea who the fellow in blue is who runs really fast , across the grassland hunting at night .............
And i say to myself what a wonderful varied world minetest is . and this is just singleplayer offline with a few tweaks but it does highlight the huge potential of minetest and what it could become . .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

aristotle
GitHub: askotos
IRC: aristotle_
In-game: aristotle
Location: Currently on Melpomene, waiting for the starship to be fixed.

by aristotle » Post

To give back to the community and promoting MineTest I am currently trying to make my very first videos hoping that they might help understanding its potentiality from the creative point of view: tutorials, howtos, explorations.
I am sloooow, but not giving up: 5 clips in 3 months time! For a total time around 50 mins... :D
Trying to do my best ;)
(Suggestions and negative opinions are and will be very welcome if any of us should be brave enough to give them a try)

EDIT: If interested, just follow the link in my signature.
Happy builds & explorations! | Initiating my Creative Minetest channel on YouTube

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Zughy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 09:04
...and buy yourself a Mac. it's privacy friendly and it's cool!
With Linux, I get both of those and freedom :)
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

Oh, right, on a serious note, I've been translating the modding book in Italian so that more people can learn how to develop in Minetest easily. The availability of contents imho is very important, because communication works as a link between the general public and the product. So if English is not your first language, you should consider translating it!

The repo on GitLab

CARZOMG
In-game: CARZOMG

by CARZOMG » Post

Hi, I'm new to Minetest, came here after chasing Mojang to restore my acct for 6 months obviously without success. Servers I've enjoyed Prism and ACN both Christian format, Empire.us and a College server. Have you inquired into any of these. Prism has had funding issues and may be open to a partnership of some sort.

CARZ
cdb_15d9d517af58

cuthbertdoublebarrel

runs wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 21:43
Very good news! To promote Minetest, I'm going to do Minetest fan fiction. Based on Samantha who is Sam's girlfriend. I'm gonna tell her whole story, all murky and tragic.

I'll put it on many websites: reddit, mastodon, twitter... And of course here too.

It's all so exciting!
you got for it Runs !!!!
rubenwardy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 22:06
Please don't ruin our reputation with that :/
dont worry minetest does not have a reputation to ruin yet.... ,
and you need to lighten up

we will need a minetest song and dance routine too
what you think runs ?
how about somthing along the lines of this for minetest

Gimme back my pig and nobody gets hurt
Hand me back my swine or you're gonna eat dirt
I might be a little girl but I think big
Do what's right or I will fight. gimme back my pig

"Gimme Back My Pig" Psycho Girls Little Sister Minecraft Song"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-jqq6RB7g

cuthbertdoublebarrel

rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 01:00
Hi, I have permission to act as Minetest's public relations person.
right back to buisness
somthing for you to look into
https://www.moddb.com/
https://www.moddb.com/games/minetest
not been updated since 2012 the link to the minetest main site is also dead .
as you are officially public relations do you think you can aquire access to update ? not sure if users are still able to upload , it would be a good idea if you gained back control .
and updated the info and link if nothing else,

Walker
In-game: Walker

by Walker » Post

runs wrote:
Very good news! To promote Minetest, I'm going to do Minetest fan fiction. Based on Samantha who is Sam's girlfriend. I'm gonna tell her whole story, all murky and tragic.

I'll put it on many websites: reddit, mastodon, twitter... And of course here too.

It's all so exciting!
Zughy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 21:52
*grabs popcorn

Give me my dose of good ol' trash
rubenwardy wrote:
XDDD

cuthbertdoublebarrel

My apologies agian , slap on wrist for using the back button . please add a delete button so the user can tidy up after themselves.

runs

by runs » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 00:13
runs wrote:

It's all so exciting!
you got for it Runs !!!!
rubenwardy wrote:
dont worry minetest does not have a reputation to ruin yet.... ,
and you need to lighten up

we will need a minetest song and dance routine too
what you think runs ?
how about somthing along the lines of this for minetest

Gimme back my pig and nobody gets hurt
Hand me back my swine or you're gonna eat dirt
I might be a little girl but I think big
Do what's right or I will fight. gimme back my pig

"Gimme Back My Pig" Psycho Girls Little Sister Minecraft Song"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-jqq6RB7g
OMG!!! OMG!!!

Currently I am working on Samantha dance animation. Pop style.

I got an idea from you, the "official" Minetest song, "Minetest is the best" (rhymes and all) sung by Samantha, Minetest's best ambassador.

And an official event, like Fornite's, on Youtube online. Samantha singing and dancing.

I'm crying with emotion! Thank you, it's going to be something big and unforgettable.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

runs wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 14:34

OMG!!! OMG!!!

Currently I am working on Samantha dance animation. Pop style.

I got an idea from you, the "official" Minetest song, "Minetest is the best" (rhymes and all) sung by Samantha, Minetest's best ambassador.

And an official event, like Fornite's, on Youtube online. Samantha singing and dancing.

I'm crying with emotion! Thank you, it's going to be something big and unforgettable.
I think the present public relations officer might well be out of job .
got a couple of top twitch streamers in mind for the promo
also i would like samantha voiceovers on the deathscreen telling me just how silly i was for dying at that point .

aristotle
GitHub: askotos
IRC: aristotle_
In-game: aristotle
Location: Currently on Melpomene, waiting for the starship to be fixed.

by aristotle » Post

Zughy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 19:58
Oh, right, on a serious note, I've been translating the modding book in Italian so that more people can learn how to develop in Minetest easily.
This is how a good community works. :)
Zughy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 19:58
... So if English is not your first language, you should consider translating it!
It was a pleasure, in fact, when I could redirect a couple of newbies who were at spawn to read a book with the server rules translated into their own language.:D
Happy builds & explorations! | Initiating my Creative Minetest channel on YouTube

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

aristotle wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 14:24
It was a pleasure, in fact, when I could redirect a couple of newbies who were at spawn to read a book with the server rules translated into their own language.:D
I know, right? I've been editing the "terms of service" mod so that on my server it provides the test to check if a player understood the rules both in English and Italian (according to their client version). Minetest translation system is truly amazing, because when they have to answer, the correct answer changes according to the language too!

If someone wants to promote Minetest, they should definitely mention the translation system

runs

by runs » Post

Dear friends, I inform you that my Minetest banners on social networks are a resounding success. People see them and say, wow I want that. Even people who come from Free Software or Linux did not know about the existence of Minetest, which is a pity.

That attracts a lot of people here, and Minetest will get better and better every day; in fact, I predict a year or two of rapid growth. These are my forecasts, and I don't usually miss them :-)

minetestgamer

by minetestgamer » Post

have you posted a video or something that will get people here?

runs

by runs » Post

minetestgamer wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 01:08
have you posted a video or something that will get people here?
A link. And remarking that it is free software.

gustavo1

by gustavo1 » Post

what do you think about that we promote minetest in other games like Supertuxkart, i know, we have a minetest kart (really great) but maybe a minetest circuit ( a intresting one, not to easy not to hard) or an arena or a soccer field. we can add a link the in download description that goes to the offical minetest website. we can also look to hedgewars (the minetest team would be funny) or supertux2, so that we can make for both games minetest themed maps.

gustavo1

by gustavo1 » Post

we can also ask STK to bring the minetestkart into the basic karts ( the ones that you have not to download to race with them) but i think they want first an upgrade to kart because the basic karts are really good animated and balanced.

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 08:13
iOS sabotages itself in two ways - it doesn't allow (L)GPL software on the app store, and you are required to have a Mac to develop apps
Hey rubenwardy, I've read this already about the App Store for iOS. Yet, MultiCraft and a whole bunch of forks exists on that platform. What do you think is going on there? Sorry if this has been answered before. I did a search and did not see any relevant discussions about how MultiCraft bypasses this. I'm guessing these developers are being dishonest to iOS about the licensing?
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Komodo wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 15:26
Hey rubenwardy, I've read this already about the App Store for iOS. Yet, MultiCraft and a whole bunch of forks exists on that platform. What do you think is going on there? Sorry if this has been answered before. I did a search and did not see any relevant discussions about how MultiCraft bypasses this. I'm guessing these developers are being dishonest to iOS about the licensing?
You can get away with it as long as no one reports it or files a DMCA

I haven't seen any evidence that the situation has changed, would be great to get proper confirmation either way
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 15:46
Komodo wrote:

I haven't seen any evidence that the situation has changed, would be great to get proper confirmation either way
Could we get away with doing a sneaky and not declaring it's LGPL? And nobody should DMCA the official project..
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 03:19
rubenwardy wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 15:46
Komodo wrote:

Could we get away with doing a sneaky and not declaring it's LGPL? And nobody should DMCA the official project..
I think it's likely that an established competitor would report it if Minetest gains traction on the iOS store. Kind of a shame. Likely, the clones should be reported to iOS store. It sucks, but if Apple doesn't want open source stuff on their platform, in my views, that is a reason to not do business with them. It sucks that so many people use those devices and don't have access to Minetest. At least they can play it on other platforms.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Komodo wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 14:54
I think it's likely that an established competitor would report it if Minetest gains traction on the iOS store. Kind of a shame. Likely, the clones should be reported to iOS store. It sucks, but if Apple doesn't want open source stuff on their platform, in my views, that is a reason to not do business with them. It sucks that so many people use those devices and don't have access to Minetest. At least they can play it on other platforms.
I'm not sure actually. You see we would launch an iOS Minetest 5 client and all the competition are on 0.4.x with the old protocol version. Sure, it might take market share, but if you can't play on Multicraft servers with it, is it really going to conflict that bad? One kid would have BlockGameCraft or some other thing, ask their friend to install something, and if it's the official Minetest app, they quickly realise they can't play with Minetest and go download BlockGameCraft instead.

I also would hope Multicraft would act in good faith and not do this to us, though other less scrupulous ones might. If we stole Multicraft's UI layout it would get a bit more heated maybe.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

I think it would be naive to rely on the good faith of competitors (in the sense that MultiCraft is a for profit endeavor, and Minetest on iOS would be a competing app). MultiCraft already seems to violate the ToS of the App Store, so I personally would expect the proprietor of MulitCraft to likely and discretely leverage any options available to protect its profitability. It serves advertistments to clients to generate revenue. If Minetest started gaining in popularity, that is a threat to MultiCraft's revenue and market-share on the App Store. Besides, just because MultiCraft likely violates ToS, doesn't mean it's wise for Minetest to do the same. Likely it seems like the proper action would be for someone to report the app or someone from Minetest get in touch with Apple to report license or ToS violators. It seems like this is something MT is unwilling or incapable of doing at the moment probably due to lack of time and resources.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Seems a bit rude, I gather that despite the whole serving ads part, the Multicraft guy has been a fairly good egg about everything.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile