Could not solve puzzle: Minetest / Multiplayer / Own WLAN

Mindset019

Could not solve puzzle: Minetest / Multiplayer / Own WLAN

by Mindset019 » Post

Hi all,
warm welcome from my side (Bavaria), and sorry for Maybe asking a Question that might be very easy / obvious for you - I couldn't solve it with my means last three evenings after (felt) tons of YouTube tutorials, wiki explanations etc.
My son wishes to Play Minetest with me, so, two Players together in one world so to say. I searched a lot and found Minetest a possibly suitable solution for this request ( and I liked very much the Approach of open source game and, if I understood correctly, People themesolves contributing Contents like 'mods' etc).
BUT.
I am not a digital native, when I read descriptions and watch tutorials the answer to my Question is sometimes touched, but with descriptions I cannot follow or something is missing for me.
So here is my Question:
Again, we want to 'multiplay'. So what is the best solution when it Comes to
a) no cost
b) no Risk (Servers I do not know etc)
c) easiness to establish.
I thought of local WLAN? But then: How to achieve that?
Or is there an easier Option? What is when I start an 'Server' game and make it public but only give me son the key? Is this the solution? I Always wonder: WHERE IS this Server? Will this generate Costs for me? Any risks & how to overcome?
I'd be happy if you could guide me in there and am Looking Forward to your answers.
Kind regards + sorry for Long text

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

Re: Could not solve puzzle: Minetest / Multiplayer / Own WLAN

by Zughy » Post

Hey there :)
when you open Minetest, you can put a world of yours online by checking the "host a server" option on the left.
The other computer (if it's connected via the same router) has to go in the "multiplayer" tab and put 127.0.0.1 in the IP section.

That's it!

Mindset019

by Mindset019 » Post

Thanks, Zughy!
Just for my better understanding:
I suppose then my Computer is the 'server' then?
but then what precisely is the 127.0.0.1, sounds like IP, buts if it is General rule it has to be a General command / Definition like something like main router or so?
I am really curious and meanwhile enthuasistic...just Building my first wooden pickaxe and then hopefully house, a bit (not too much ;-) sad because there are no Monsters around yet…
Thanks

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

Yes, 127.0.0.1 is the general localhost IP (so not just for Minetest). It basically means you're connecting to your own PC. Also, keep going with your server :)

EDIT: I wrote LAN instead of PC, my bad!
Last edited by Zughy on Wed May 06, 2020 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

You NEVER can connect from ANOTHER PC or whatever via 127.0.0.1 as EVERY PC, ... has the 127.0.0.1 as its OWN.
= a connection to 127.0.0.1 will never leave that device !

= if ever want to connect to another then the own same pc, you have to use another IP, as most for internal networks there is 192.168.x.x
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)