I wish the minetest game and ethereal mod biomes were a little bigger
Is there a way to do this?
cdb_71b6f99a808c

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: How can I make the biomes bigger?

by sfan5 » Post

Open map_meta.txt, find mg_biome_np_heat and mg_biome_np_humidity and for both of them edit the line that says
  spread = (1000,1000,1000)
to
  spread = (2000,2000,2000)
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

uwu666

by uwu666 » Post

sfan5 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:00
Open map_meta.txt, find mg_biome_np_heat and mg_biome_np_humidity and for both of them edit the line that says
  spread = (1000,1000,1000)
to
  spread = (2000,2000,2000)
Where can I find that file?
cdb_71b6f99a808c

uwu666

by uwu666 » Post

Ignore me, I already found it, thanks :)
cdb_71b6f99a808c

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

To make newly created worlds have larger biomes, increase the 'spread's of the biome heat and humidity noises in the 'All Settings' menu.
But keep in mind that this will affect all newly created worlds until you edit the setting again.
The value of 'spread' will be the approximate maximum size of biomes.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

paramat wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 00:58
... until you edit the setting again ...
still with the sharp borders when used on the same map I guess .. any chances ever of changing values on an existing map and the mapgen generates smooth borders to newly created content?

MeseCraft
GitHub: MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

lower the persistence?
🌎 Website | ⛏️ MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

twoelk wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:22
paramat wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 00:58
... until you edit the setting again ...
still with the sharp borders when used on the same map I guess .. any chances ever of changing values on an existing map and the mapgen generates smooth borders to newly created content?
Create a mod that blends from one setting to the next. Instead of hard changing the values in map_meta.txt or settings, your mod would, at on_generation, slowly blend the spread from one value to the next. Simply have your mod increase spread values based on distance, the further away, the larger / smaller the spread scale.

Shad

runs

by runs » Post

Why not a "spread" setting in minetest.register_biome?

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 19:52
bump
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

chef trip wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 03:28
runs wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 19:52
bump
Because biomes aren't decided like that. Biomes are decided in Minetest based on heat, humidity and in some cases the height (only for mapgens that support altitude chill). The heat and humidity are decided with a 2D perlin noise map, and the terrain with a variety of 2D and sometimes 3D perlin noise maps. The heat and humidity settings are under Settings > Mapgen > Biome API noise parameters. The terrain settings are under Mapgen > [Mapgen name] e.g. the settings for V5 are under Mapgen V5.

So: to get the same results but spaced further apart, you woukld have to bump up the size of the heatmap, the humidity map and some of the noise parameters for your mapgen. You can control the variables independently, too. By changing the heat and humidity but not the noise of your mapgen, you would get the same terrain but the biomes would spread further over them, only stopping where they hit biome y-limits (so the ocean/lakes are still water, and high-altitude biomes still only occur at heights).

As you can see, it's all configurable. Is this as easy as, say, bumping up a single figure for biome size like in Minecraft? No, but at least you get to choose how to do it. I think Minecraft's terrain generator is quite different. Mesa biomes will always have a certain shape, as will swamps. The shape of the terrain changes depending on the biome. In Minetest the terrain generator is decoupled from the game's biomes, which is a blessing and a curse. So to get it like Minecraft you would need a probably quite slow Lua mapgen, or C++ mapgen that produces unique features instead of un-biomed terrain, and a matched-up biome mod in Lua (embedded in a new game that's not MTG probably).
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Basically if you want bigger biomes, you'll need to reduce their number in 2D (you can "stack" them in 3D though, e.g. you can have a different set for caverealms or nether, and another for floatlands).

You can experiment with this interactive Voronoi diagram maker to see how it works. In our case, horizontal could be "temperature" and vertical be "humidity".

PS: the larger the area on the diagram, the larger the biome will be on the map (on average, or it will appear more often), and also areas that "touch" on the diagram (even by a corner), can also be adjacent on the map.
My game? It's Minefall.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Astrobe wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 15:35
Basically if you want bigger biomes, you'll need to reduce their number in 2D (you can "stack" them in 3D though, e.g. you can have a different set for caverealms or nether, and another for floatlands).

You can experiment with this interactive Voronoi diagram maker to see how it works. In our case, horizontal could be "temperature" and vertical be "humidity".

PS: the larger the area on the diagram, the larger the biome will be on the map (on average, or it will appear more often), and also areas that "touch" on the diagram (even by a corner), can also be adjacent on the map.
This approach is different from the one I described above. Imagine the biomes in your world as a bunch of splotches (like amidstest) of colours, and there is a colour palette for those splotches. Increasing the scale of the noise settings like I said will increase the size of all of the splotches. Adding more biomes adds more colours to the palette, so the splotches get smaller and there are more transitions between them in a kind of gradient. On the flipside, removing biomes makes splotches of the remaining colours spread to fill those splotches of the biomes that were removed.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 02:24
This approach is different from the one I described above.
Indeed, in other words the noises determines the motifs on the canvas, and the humidity/temperature definitions determine how one colors those motifs.
My game? It's Minefall.