External planets from the earth

Codesound

External planets from the earth

by Codesound » Post

Hi,

exists one way to generate also big planets (with various dimensions/area) external from the normal earth? To reach these planets you have to use a rocket and maybe at a certain altitude the background image changes to a typical one of the cosmos....

Thanks

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: External planets from the earth

by Krock » Post

Multiple planets/realms/worlds are possible by stacking surfaces on top of each other. If each layer should reach 2000 meters up and down, you could fit 16 realms into a single map.
See also: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4428

Mapgen: VManip to generate surfaces from Lua
Background image: set_sky (5.2.0+)
Rocket: tricky. There's no gravitation calculations for the player physics, thus you'd need to implement a transition from the "fly up" state to a rocket "landing" (down) state which also teleports the player from one world layer to the other.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Thanks @Krock.....

now I try with the "Multi dimensions V2.3 [multidimensions]" Mod.... (I try.... but I see this operation hard...)

Thanks for your reply.....

viewtopic.php?t=16009

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Codesound wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 15:00
Thanks @Krock.....

now I try with the "Multi dimensions V2.3 [multidimensions]" Mod.... (I try.... but I see this operation hard...)

Thanks for your reply.....

viewtopic.php?t=16009
EDIT:

it seems better to use the multi-map mod ... right?

https://github.com/evrooije/multi_map

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Sorry to necro-post here but as I don't think a search adequately answers this or give nice/up-to-date looking threads, I'd like to post an answer.

To start with, most "other planets" mods involve separating the planets with extreme y heights and placing unbreakable stone/bedrock at the bottom of each planet. Some of them introduce vacuum conditions and gravity changes as well. To travel to other planets, one uses space ships or teleportation.

I'd like to mention the mods that Pandorabox uses for its outer space as well as the larger mod Space Travel (See the "See also" in that thread for yet more references).

pandorabox-mods lists the servers mods. The main mods are:
  • vacuum - Adds a vacuum node that suffocates players and spreads through air, requiring space suits or a sealed atmosphere.
  • planet_mars - Adds Mars with lighter-than-earth gravity, vacuum atmosphere (Mars' atmosphere is not breathable). The surface is covered in sand, the crust is mostly red stone and the planet is rich with ores below a certain depth, including some unique marble species.
  • planet_moon - Adds the Earth's Moon with very low gravity, and a mostly stone crust with patches of ice and patches that are extremely rich with ore.
  • planetoidgen and planetoids - Adds a layer of asteroids and small "planetoids" (spheroids that are earth-like). The asteroids can be decent for mining.
Also important to the setting are:
  • scifinodes - Adds a range of sci-fi looking nodes for making cool space bases and so on.
  • jumpdrive - A machine for teleporting "ships" around the galaxy, with a requirement for technic power to travel based on distance and ship size.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂