Is it better to host a server on VPS or run a VPN network while hosting a server on one's own hardware?

Chrysolite Azalea
GitHub: ChrysoliteAzalea

Is it better to host a server on VPS or run a VPN network while hosting a server on one's own hardware?

by Chrysolite Azalea » Post

Hello, everyone! I plan to play Minetest with my friends and think about renting a VPS. I wonder is it better to host a server there or run a VPN to my own hardware? How much RAM do I need to play with, e.g., 5 people? Is it a good idea to just open a world for multiplayer?

Also wonder, is it possible to use Avahi and mDNS inside VPN?

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: Is it better to host a server on VPS or run a VPN network while hosting a server on one's own hardware?

by FreeGamers » Post

In my opinion it is always preferable to host on your own hardware. You have more control, flexibility, and it is cheaper overtime. A VPS would be preferable if you are not willing or able to host a system, maybe due to travel, mobility, or service issues. VPS adds convenience and you don't need to manage the system, but it is much more expensive on a monthly basis.

For Minetest you really just need a good dual-core system with a good single-threaded performance. Do you have a budget for hardware? Do you have old computers or laptops sitting around? These would be ideal. I'd recommend 2-4GB of RAM and an SSD for hardware and you're in a great position for a simple server.

As for a VPN, that is unnecessary unless you want to SSH or RDP into your system console or desktop while away. You don't need a VPN for this setup. If you wanted to add friends to your network to play, you would be better off hosting it on the Internet and using a password to prevent non-permitted players.

Get a free Dynamic DNS service. Use a DDNS client (such as ddclient on Linux) to setup dynamic dns to your internet address to route to your home server. This will make sure that address always points to your home network and IP address. Open the right ports on your firewall or router. Now people can connect from the internet to your server.

It sounds complicated but when you think about it step by step and read a little bit about this, it is not hard to setup and a very simple solution for a nice self-hosted server.

a VPS will be a monthly rate for limited hardware 1-2 virtual cpu's on a shared hardware system and you'd be lucky get to 4GB of ram and an SSD. I think VPS's are poor value but offer some convenience in terms of reducing overhead and administration of the server hardware and internet connection. So your question is subjetive. It depends. But self-hosted is very good value and will offer the most control over your setup.

I'm not going to walk you through this step by step as I have been very busy the last few weeks and I don'ts see my workload letting up. There are many resources on these topics on-line. Please search them out and ask questions and you will be able to do this yourself easily :)

If you want to get into more advanced topics, you can virtualize your servers too to have even more flexibility with your server and what you host on it.

I will say FreeGamers.org is a self-hosted system and all our services are secure and private from a data perspective. The FreeGamers server has very good uptime (usually an uptime of 90+ days unless there is hardware maintenance or upgrades that need to be done). I also use a UPS on the network hardware and system to maintain uptime even in power failures. Not related, but if you would like to try a new and upcoming game that is in development for your server, check out our project "Sara's Simple Survival Server". It is designed for multiplayer survival servers.

Festus1965
In-game: bye bye

Re: Is it better to host a server on VPS or run a VPN network while hosting a server on one's own hardware?

by Festus1965 » Post

I have practice with own server

* Own server, better have own small older PC for this
* RAM, depending on how much friends, but when play together in one area = less map-blocks needed 4 GB of RAM is far ok, 2 CPU also
* best option use terminal and minetestserver start command
* and use yourself, if same PC, the gui Client to play,
* no vps needed on own hardware
* less costs, als also you can control to run server when needed ! = meet with friends
Minetest has no future

Chrysolite Azalea
GitHub: ChrysoliteAzalea

by Chrysolite Azalea » Post

The problem is, I am behind NAT set by ISP, meaning I can't turn it off or forward a port. I have tried, I can't simply receive connections from the outside. Which means I have to set up either reverse SSH tunnel or VPN. Both of which require a publicly-visible server.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

If you have no control over your NAT or ports, you can't do anything with networking to open a port to the public. I wouldn't use a ISP that does that. In that case a VPS, a friend hosting your system for you, or (if you *really* trust the people you are networking with) a VPN service may be the option.

Festus1965
In-game: bye bye

by Festus1965 » Post

Chrysolite Azalea wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 07:54
The problem is, I am behind NAT set by ISP, ...
Oh I understand, I had this also (True Thailand), but I was able to get real IP as I asked them.

So then I cant help you any-more, as I have no practice using other services, as then only a free hosting mts might help.
See for threads here about this
Minetest has no future