The future of Minetest

runs

Re: The future of Minetest

by runs » Post

Or better yet, give me all the power and a whip, and you'll see how I'll get everyone to "walk". :-D

bzt

by bzt » Post

daret wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 09:40
daret wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 21:54
Maybe some "small" goal could be, that Minetest engine should support everything and more than Minecraft does.
I never said "implementing everything that Minecraft does".
If "Minetest should support everything that Minecraft does" does not mean implementing all of its features (where "support" = there's an implementation which provides, "everything" = all features) then I have absolutely no clue. What did you meant by that then?

Just to be perfectly clear, "supporting everything that Minecraft does" for me is something like TrueCraft (discontinued).
PolySaken wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:29
I agree with daret here, what they're saying is that minetest should be technically capable of everything the minecraft engine can do, not that minetest should implement any of minecraft's content.
Nobody was talking about contents. My understanding of "supporting everything" is that it means clone all the game features and clone all the game logic and clone all the file formats etc. (And I've said sure, you can do that, but only if your engine has no content and requires data files from the original game.) If that's not what daret meant, then I don't know what you're talking about.

Cheers,
bzt

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

by daret » Post

bzt wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 15:49
daret wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 09:40
daret wrote:
Maybe some "small" goal could be, that Minetest engine should support everything and more than Minecraft does.
I never said "implementing everything that Minecraft does".
If "Minetest should support everything that Minecraft does" does not mean implementing all of its features (where "support" = there's an implementation which provides, "everything" = all features) then I have absolutely no clue. What did you meant by that then?

Just to be perfectly clear, "supporting everything that Minecraft does" for me is something like TrueCraft (discontinued).
I'm writing Minetest engine on purpose, to not be confused between engine and game.
What you acctually try to give in my mouth is "Minetest GAME should support everything that Minecraft does", but this is not what I say.

Minetest (engine) and Minetest Game are 2 different things.
Minetest Game is what Minecraft is - a game.
Minetest itself is an Game Engine - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine

bzt

by bzt » Post

daret wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 18:35
I'm writing Minetest engine on purpose, to not be confused between engine and game.
I'm well aware, and I haven't confused them. I'm talking about the engine features too. (BTW we already have a game that implements most of the Minecraft gameplay, Mineclone2, but that's not what we're talking about here.)
daret wrote:
What you acctually try to give in my mouth is "Minetest GAME should support everything that Minecraft does", but this is not what I say.
Absolutely not. I'm not trying to give anything into your mouth. It's obvious for me that we were talking about the engine all along. All I'm asking is what did you mean by "Minetest engine should support everything Minecraft does"? You still haven't answered that and I still have no clue what you meant.
runs wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:31
I am tired of years and years of endless useless discussions.
Yeah, we have gone a bit off-topic. I already got ensuring answers to my original questions about the future of Minetest.

Cheers,
bzt

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

runs wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:31
I am tired of years and years of endless useless discussions.
Then don't engage and ignore them. You are not required to post on everything that pops up.

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

by daret » Post

bzt wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 19:47
daret wrote:
I'm well aware, and I haven't confused them. I'm talking about the engine features too. (BTW we already have a game that implements most of the Minecraft gameplay, Mineclone2, but that's not what we're talking about here.)

Cheers,
bzt
OK, than everything is fine :D
bzt wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 19:47
daret wrote:
Absolutely not. I'm not trying to give anything into your mouth. It's obvious for me that we were talking about the engine all along. All I'm asking is what did you mean by "Minetest engine should support everything Minecraft does"? You still haven't answered that and I still have no clue what you meant.
Cheers,
bzt

Sorry, it was in my fist post, probably not clear enough.
Some of them were discussed later (compass, dimensions/world size)
daret wrote:

Minetest engine is in many ways better, but sometimes unreasonably limited.
E.g.
  • Dynamic tools / animated - like bows, compass, ... - item picture change without the animation
  • Leashes, Fishing - I never saw a good mod for it. I believe, the "rope" needed for fishing rod / leashes is not possible, or?
  • Dimensions - I know, you can create vertical worlds, but they are still somehow direct connected. You cold use vertical space for some space game and the dimensions for different solar system or something like that ...
  • World size - 65500 (or so) is big, but far from infinite. There was some discussion in 2014, but think this is not changed, or?