Making "->" usable in the crafting grid?

WyomingWill

Making "->" usable in the crafting grid?

by WyomingWill » Post

OK, 2 weeks into minetest here so I can interact with my grandson remotely, and it is super addictive. I love it! Kudos to everyone who has worked on this! And for answering my prior questions.

I just have one suggestion about a possible modification, for the purposes of efficiency.

When I'm using the crafting grid, I noticed a possible improvement. Suppose I make sticks from planks. I have to do this 4 at at time, dragging each 4 down to the inventory. But why not make the "->" (right arrow) icon clickable? Just click on it to make yet another 4 sticks. Over and over. Then, when done, drag all the sticks to the inventory.

I like making lots of things in batches. Batches of planks, sticks, pickaxes, etc.... so this would speed up a very repetitive task in a natural way.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you! Bill
Last edited by WyomingWill on Sun Aug 30, 2020 01:57, edited 1 time in total.

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

Re: Making "->" usable in the crafting grid?

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

Had the same issue when I first played Minetest. As far as I know this isn't documented anywhere ingame, but clickning with the mouse wheel crafts ten things at once and scroling downwards while howering over the output can also be used for fast crafting.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Shift+left click will move the entire stack from the output slot to your inventory automatically, so you can just spam shift+left click until everything has been crafted.
GUI Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass | To contact me, send a PM

eyekay
GitHub: Azl-Eyekay
In-game: eyekay49

by eyekay » Post

Umm... You can click on the sticks multiple times. If the planks are there, the number of sticks crafted will add on. No need to drag them first

However crafting in general can be improved in various ways, IMO. We need an option to craft as much as possible. Perhaps clicking on the arrow can be used for this?
<a href=about:blank> My projects</a>

WyomingWill

by WyomingWill » Post

After I posted this message I discovered (doh!) that left-clicking the output box does what I was suggesting the arrow should do (as eyekay says). Sorry! I do like the suggestion of using the arrow to maximize output though. Sort of like what the furnace does automatically? Or click it once to start automated output and click it again to stop it?

Shift+left click doesn't move my output to my inventory (it does create more output), but shift+click on items in the crafting grid does move them back into the inventory. Which is definitely a time saver.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Oh, how weird. I know shift-left click used to work from output to inventory... Well, it should work with other things like chests and furnaces.
GUI Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass | To contact me, send a PM

WyomingWill

by WyomingWill » Post

I just checked again, since I'm new to this, but for me, there does not appear to be any difference w/r shift-left click and left click w/r the inventory.

You are correct about shift-left for a chest - it can be used to toggle an item from inventory to the chest and back. Neat! Thank you!