Unofficial Youtube Channel for Minetest

eyekay
GitHub: Azl-Eyekay
In-game: eyekay49

Unofficial Youtube Channel for Minetest

by eyekay » Post

I am making a separate post from this one as it is not directly related, but is on the same theme which is how to make Minetest community bigger i.e. how to make it more popular.

I suggest that Minetest should have an official Youtube channel. This channel will have official content for Minetest, like a proper game 'trailer' or something, videos showing all the changes in a new version of Minetest etc. This will mean that there will be an official presence of Minetest on Youtube and other video sharing platforms.
The channel need not be managed by the core devs themselves, I imagine it to be a community-based, officially-supervised sort of channel.

Apart from the trailer and the update I have two more suggestions related to this:

1. Maybe there can be some sort of tutorial videos for explaining the difference between MC and MT, the entire 'MT is not a game it's an engine' concept (which does confuse a lot of new comers), maybe a playthrough of the tutorial subgame? I think video will be better than the current written wiki format, as it's a video game ;) (It is not without its disadvantages though, like difficulty to update)

2. I also imagine a series called 'This week in Minetest' (frequency can be changed as per convenience). It will cover what updates or new features were added to some of the more popular games and mods. The authors can just inform the video-makers about the new update, so it can be added in the video.

I would appreciate any comments/ constructive criticism :)
<a href=about:blank> My projects</a>

eyekay

Re: Official Youtube Channel for Minetest

by eyekay » Post

Responses zero yay

---

I think what should be done is that the community makes a channel themselves and then the core devs can approve/ reject it.

Why is this needed? Search 'how to install a Minetest mod'
First couple of results : 3-6 years old. No ContentDB

Search installing games, texture packs etc. -> same condition

Same for installing Minetest itself

Last time an update video was made: Minetest Videos' 5.0 video

Even if you personally don't use YouTube (I know you do use it, regardless of whatever you say about FOSS) most people will first search on Youtube only. After seeing 6 yr old video-> person goes and buys MC

So what I propose - someone (Someone wants to help? Please?) makes a youTube channel . Someone along with help of popular content creators make a series of actual 'tutorial' videos which is treated as OFFICIAL support. Definitely needed
Then the update videos for new versions of the engine also

Whoever wants to help (making the content, script writing, voice, video editing etc.) can simply come and tell what they can do.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I think it would be a good idea to start this channel unofficially, as a community project. You don't need official involvement to do this
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

eyekay

by eyekay » Post

Aye aye, captain!

Official approval would have been nice, maybe it can be made official later on? I think official stuff will be better as it will have a guarantee of being correct.
Anyways, moving on

A request to anyone who wants to help out and has enough free time:
I know that I am doing this, at least as much as I can during this month, which will be relatively free for me. Anyone else who can help in anything which I listed: please send me a PM, I will make a element room/ discord server or something

I will update this thread as and when required

I am appointing myself to manage this channel, pls don't mind XD

(@rubenwardy can you please rename this topic to 'unofficial YouTube channel for Minetest'? I don't know if regular users can do so)

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

If an official channel might ever exist, I'd use it for versions updates only. Having a look at the Krita channel, you can see how this kind of videos brings a lot more views compared to others. That would also be a very low effort job to do, as we're talking about something happening twice a year. More importantly, I'd also upload it on a PeerTube instance.

About tutorials: leave the task to single individuals. I won't make any official video about it, too much of a struggle. If you think X is missing, just do it (or suggest someone to do it). It works with every videogame, software, hardware, whatever

eyekay

Re: Unofficial Youtube Channel for Minetest

by eyekay » Post

@jas I am not talking about twitch, twitch is a streaming platform. And the youtube link is an 'auto generated by youtube', and not a channel. I.e. no one can control what goes there. AFAIK when you upload a video to Youtube you can choose what category it comes in, and the link you sent is one which can be selected for that

@Zughy Your link is not working for me it seems, I saw the channel though, I see what you mean. But as for the tutorials: Installing a mod/game/t.p. Max 5 min video each, max. a few hours to make each as well. When some people actually join it can be discussed later

Also PeerTube is a decentralized service, and since l had never heard of it before, is there any specific instance which you recommend?

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

Yes, but you have to consider it's something that will constantly require time, and Minetest will keep update itself - meaning some videos usefulness won't last forever and they'll need a redo. The key imho is to do the least amount of work possible while giving the most useful contents to people. Hence the version update content only.

About PeerTube: unfortunately I can't tell, I use an Italian one...

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

eyekay wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 18:12
I would appreciate any comments/ constructive criticism :)
non offical minetest youtubers
Richard Jeffries give us a regular insight in to his generated worlds in mine test THE game and Mineclone2 . very particular about subtle details and the best combinations of mods to achieve a theme .
https://rgsproductions2005.com/
Nathan give us a regular review of recent or overlooked mods .
some great little mods hiding in that huge collection of reviews
https://www.nathansalapat.com/index.php/
The confusion is that you fail to understand the engine is the game , minecraft players mod the engine to make thier own game .
A sub game imposes greater changes to gameplay and appearance thus restricting personalized moddification .
so now go tell minecraft users its not a game and you must not let players play with the engine and create thier own game by adding user mods .but insist they play some sorty of quirky and unrelated sub game instead .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

eyekay

by eyekay » Post

I am sorry, but I am unable to understand what you are saying. How is minecraft related? And 'the engine is the game'?

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Mintest is an engine and there is Minetest game, but that is kind of ignoring the essence of the topic.

eyekay, good luck. I hope you can figure out a way to pull together a successful project if that is what you want to do.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

eyekay wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 04:59
I am sorry, but I am unable to understand what you are saying. How is minecraft related? And 'the engine is the game'?
The minecraft players who mod the engines gameplay are whats relatable . i could have inserted any dedicated game engine . Doom is a great example of a huge modding community . yes its remarkable they created an emulation of sonic 3d in the doom engine . but that does not promote the daddy of first person shooters which the majority of people are drawn to the engine to experience. you are the ones causing the confusion to newcomers by insisting minetest is not a game but a game engine . modding a game engine is a familar practice amongst the gaming community .
if you want to insist these people are confused then you along with the rest of the misguided individuals split . set up your version of the engine minus mods and just focus on your subgames . rename the engine to unversal sub game creator and cut your relations with minetest altogether as its irrevocably advertised as an alternative to minecraft and that is never going to change by you belittling new comers with your misguided notions .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

JavierCantu
GitHub: javier-cantu

by JavierCantu » Post

I would love doing videos about this if I knew how to use Minetest lol

But I'm pretty lost now, just discovered it.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

You need a Google account in order to be able to use Youtube, but if are fine with that that you can create the Youtube channel yourself and call it "Minetest" or "Minetest Official"
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL