What game should be perfect for a kid?

Sarah1235

by Sarah1235 » Post

Hey guys, can you recommend a perfect game that is funny and educative for a 6 years kid?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: What game should be perfect for a kid?

by Wuzzy » Post

Personally, my favourite game, although not really educational, is Inside The Box. This is a puzzle/thinking game in which you solve puzzles in cubic rooms by walking around and interacting with switches, triggers, pressure plates, doors, trampolines and many other puzzle elements that you need to overcome to make it to the exit. The puzzles are very diverse, and there's a lot of them. Yeah, I think I can recommend it.

Currently, you can only play Inside The Box online (it's a server).
To play, you have to install Minetest, click on “Join Game” and select “Inside The Box” from the server list. Then enter name and password (of your own choice, of course) and have fun solving puzzles.

Since it's a public server, the obligatory Internet advice applies: Never ever share your private information (like real name, address, etc.) with anyone. That having said, this server is very peaceful, I can not recall to have witnessed any predatory behavior there, and I'm one of the earliest players. People just want to play. :-)

But I don't think we have any “true” educational games right now. There's nothing that went past the “demo” stage. I recall there once was that one thing about quantum computing, but it's only a demo, and it was a little bit over my head.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

there is no "perfect",
avoid PvP, and any fights
maybe also without monster, or danger animals

for the start something easy to learn the basic usage and crafting patterns

also short issues, like above quiz, small short builds - to avoid boring when to big-large

(my daughter started playing with 6 = 4 years ago)
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

GabrielLuke

by GabrielLuke » Post

I played Super Mario World (SNES) with my nearly four-year - old son with an emulator on my phone and a bluetooth controller. Since the games were easy back then, the goal is obvious ("Jump and reach the line") and the barriers ("He punched you!") are obvious. "He needs me to play the levels most of the time and needs to watch, then he'll pipe up, "I want to do that one with the football guy and hear him go 'Ouch!' The controls are also fairly basic, he can complete the level himself by pressing just one button at a time per thumb. Love to collect raichu pokemon card when I was a kid.

He also played with me in the Kerbal Space Program, launching the rocket and crashing it was quite entertaining for him. We'll even play a little part, call him Commander [Sonsname], and give him some kind of guidance to obey. Can we go into outer space this time? Will we crash into water this time? Will I build a rocket? "Variants of playing with him will go like," Should we go into outer space this time?
Last edited by GabrielLuke on Thu Jul 07, 2022 04:40, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Inside The Box. This is a puzzle/thinking game in which you solve puzzles in cubic rooms by walking around and interacting with switches, triggers, pressure plates, doors, trampolines and many other puzzle elements that you need to overcome to make it to the exit. The puzzles are very diverse, and there's a lot of them. Yeah, I think I can recommend it.
Inside the box is definitely a recommendable server - for players who like to solve puzzles. Recommending it to a 6 year old...I don't think that fits. That's too young. While some puzzles may be doable, many will be far too complex (just think about reading messages on the terminals if you havn't learned to read yet..).
Festus1965 wrote: there is no "perfect",
avoid PvP, and any fights
maybe also without monster, or danger animals

for the start something easy to learn the basic usage and crafting patterns

also short issues, like above quiz, small short builds - to avoid boring when to big-large
I think that's more like it. Festus1965 also has some direct experience from providing computers for children in the neighbourhood to play on.

PvP would be a rather bad idea and could soon end in a lot of trouble. Monsters...even those that seem to us perfectly harmless may be frightening to a child. A parent told me once that his child was afraid of the oerkki, so be careful. "Friendly" mobs like i.e. sheep might very well be welcome. The petz mod has lots of animals that are trimmed for cuteness. There's also a tamagotchi mode where you have to brush the fur of your pet and feed it regulary.

Other than that...consider using creative mode as it's a bit easier and doesn't require gathering materials first. Mods that add brightly colored full blocks might also be a good idea. Young kids love color! Baked clay and Abriglass may look acceptable to adults as well. Color cubes, GloopTest, Plastic Box, blox and others posted here on the forum might be worth a look.

Visual Bots might be good if you want to have some education involved which also looks good and may be enjoyable to children.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

There was a game called 'BlockColor' by Chiantos that may be appropriate for that kid, however, the topic is cleaned currently: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20445&hilit=BlockColor

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Andrey01 wrote: There was a game called 'BlockColor' by Chiantos that may be appropriate for that kid, however, the topic is cleaned currently: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20445&hilit=BlockColor
Yes, I thought about that as well and had to discover that it seems to have been removed :-( Its colorful blocks and easy operation would have been perfect for smaller children.
A list of my mods can be found here.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I have a feeling that the OP of this post is a spam bot, but this is a useful topic anyway
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 13:52
I have a feeling that the OP of this post is a spam bot, but this is a useful topic anyway
Why? o_O

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

seen a few posts from parents here and there .
Juanchi i believe was a firm fave with one group.
i think another gave up on the sub games and was quiet happy with the base game with a few mods.
even more fungi mod with the latin names i thought was a nice little educational idea . i think there was also a latin flower mod too .
it would be great to add more named nature . maybe just a basic little icon that directs them to use the telescope that shows an illustration of somthing hiding in the trees like a bug or bird and they tick off all the creatures they spot.
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 20:28
seen a few posts from parents here and there .
Juanchi i believe was a firm fave with one group.
i think another gave up on the sub games and was quiet happy with the base game with a few mods.
even more fungi mod with the latin names i thought was a nice little educational idea . i think there was also a latin flower mod too .
it would be great to add more named nature . maybe just a basic little icon that directs them to use the telescope that shows an illustration of somthing hiding in the trees like a bug or bird and they tick off all the creatures they spot.
what posts
Yeet.

runs

by runs » Post

The Samz will be the first game exclusivily made for kids in mind. With a SAMMY RATE of +3 children will be safe and parents calmed.

Tim790

by Tim790 » Post

runs wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 16:50
The Samz will be the first game exclusivily made for kids in mind. With a SAMMY RATE of +3 children will be safe and parents calmed.
You are the least likely person to keep parents calmed.
Yeet.

runs

by runs » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 20:16
runs wrote:
Super-popular will be, you ll see.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Ouch :D But I am pretty sure except being super cringy and sometimes weird he's a good guy.

On topic: There was a game called BlockColor which was specifically aimed at younger kids but unfortunately the dev burned everything down after being criticized for using a non-free license or so. Maybe find a copy of that because the idea was actually very nice. Limited to just a few nodes and colors and focused on creative building only.

And maybe a bit too early with 6 years:

Programming a turtle: viewtopic.php?t=15689
There's also this mod for simple mathematics: https://content.minetest.net/packages/sfan5/teaching/
Here's a mod to learn Braille letters and the alphabet: viewtopic.php?t=2312

Tim790

by Tim790 » Post

runs wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 00:27
Tim790 wrote:
runs wrote:
"super popular"
Yeet.

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 00:56
runs wrote:
Tim790 wrote:

"super popular"
Tim, do you have something to gain from antagonizing runs? Your comment is completely pointless aside from antagonizing runs about his game. It's fine if you don't like runs. You don't have to like everyone, but you should keep things civil and productive. So please, piss-off with the negative and counter-productive comments here. Your last comment contributed nothing and makes this place worse than it needs to be. Please stop. You guys both have valuable contributions you could be making, runs makes games, you're running a server. Whatever your differences, get over it, quit squabbling about it, and move on please.

If you're young, try to understand that going around making negative comments makes you look bad, makes this place look bad, and just sets us all back. I'm sure you can do better than that.
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

runs

by runs » Post

Komodo wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 23:43
Tim790 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 00:56
runs wrote:

"super popular"
Tim, do you have something to gain from antagonizing runs? Your comment is completely pointless aside from antagonizing runs about his game. It's fine if you don't like runs. You don't have to like everyone, but you should keep things civil and productive. So please, piss-off with the negative and counter-productive comments here. Your last comment contributed nothing and makes this place worse than it needs to be. Please stop. You guys both have valuable contributions you could be making, runs makes games, you're running a server. Whatever your differences, get over it, quit squabbling about it, and move on please.

If you're young, try to understand that going around making negative comments makes you look bad, makes this place look bad, and just sets us all back. I'm sure you can do better than that.
The saddest thing is that he put super positive comments on ContentDB on my mods. But something felt bad about me, and he changed them to negative. The funny thing is that he only changed the hand, down, but did not bother to change the comments, which are the same, positive.

He shouldn't be so spiteful, but I forgive him, because I'm happy.

Tim790

by Tim790 » Post

Thanks, I'm sorry.
Yeet.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

from the
- Parents wish
- Children side
- Psychologist expression
???

If this is not clear at beginning, there is no answer.

Even if say parents, it will be different from a Gun-positive American parent, to an pacifistic / ultra believing orthodox family.

So to answer this, we need to know more details anyway about the exceptions and limits to each option.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

erlehmann
GitHub: erlehmann
IRC: erlehmann

by erlehmann » Post

I think repixture is perfect for young kids, provided they can actually read already.

It has mostly peaceful mobs and contains some unique challenges, like finding a village.

Also repixture has a really good crafting system. It's a shame there aren't any public servers!
cdb_b9da8bbc6338

Tim790

by Tim790 » Post

Bruh, the sheep is way more spooky than the oerrki.
Yeet.