Can I use Minetest for an educational laboratory that charge the partecipans?

Francesco_1

Can I use Minetest for an educational laboratory that charge the partecipans?

by Francesco_1 » Post

Hello everyone.

Basically I work for an association that deals with after-schools, workshops with children, parties and events.
I got the idea of ​​creating a workshop with Minetest in which the children have to build importants things in the city where we live, in order to make them aware of the beautiful things that we have.
I spoke to the association and they want to propose it as an event, charging a participation fee for those who will come.
The activity will be carried out on a local server.

I was wondering if it is something that can be done or legally I cannot use Minetest in activities, albeit in education, where money is involved. What do you think?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Can I use Minetest for an educational laboratory that charge the partecipans?

by rubenwardy » Post

Yes, this is perfectly fine and allowed by our license.

Our license allows commercial use, but requires you to ensure that any users are able to get the source code. If you don't modify the engine, then it's super easy - there's already a link in the Credits tab, and information in the readme.

Mods and games can be under any license you wish, even proprietary, as long as you don't include any code from other mods or games. If you include existing code, then you'll need to use a compatible license. For example, games based on MTG will need to be LGPLv2.1+ licensed

Please note that I am not a lawyer, and this does not constitute as legal advice

Francesco_1

Re: Can I use Minetest for an educational laboratory that charge the partecipans?

by Francesco_1 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:57
Yes, this is perfectly fine and allowed by our license.

Our license allows commercial use, but requires you to ensure that any users are able to get the source code. If you don't modify the engine, then it's super easy - there's already a link in the Credits tab, and information in the readme.

Mods and games can be under any license you wish, even proprietary, as long as you don't include any code from other mods or games. If you include existing code, then you'll need to use a compatible license. For example, games based on MTG will need to be LGPLv2.1+ licensed

Please note that I am not a lawyer, and this does not constitute as legal advice

Thanks for your reply, kind moderator.

I will report the results and details of the lab to the forum for others to use.

Good day.

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

Hey there, I guess from your name you're from Italy. If that's the case, do you mind sharing where the event is taking place or a link to the organisation? Even in private. I'm asking because I divulge things about digital ethics in Italy and I'd be happy to know more about it :)

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

Actually, I would not mind that info as well, as I am designing minetest modifications to help remote workshops. I would love to discuss with people similarly minded.