minetest windows xp

by xxxttts » Post

which version and build support xp?
write how to launch.

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

Re: minetest windows xp

by parasite » Post

From what I know - but I might be wrong - some time ago the minetest code was modified according to modern C ++ standards and this excluded newer versions of minetest from being used with historical MS Windows versions. Even if you download and install a very old minetest version, no modern game or mod will work properly, and you will not be able to connect to modern servers. But it doesn't have to be a problem, you should be able at least play basic 'minetest game' bundled with old minetest version. All you need is to find out with which version of minetest modern C++ started being used. I don't remember it, but this information is for sure somewhere on this forum (0.4 -> 5.0 ?).

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

I think it might be possible to build even the newest MT for windows xp, but it gets tricky. You need to use custom builds and outdated versions of some libraries.

runs

by runs » Post

xxxttts wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 21:48
which version and build support xp?
write how to launch.
Forget it. Windows XP is not even supported by Microsoft...

As someone once said: "Modernize or die" :-D

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

celeron55 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 17:13
I think it might be possible to build even the newest MT for windows xp, but it gets tricky. You need to use custom builds and outdated versions of some libraries.
Oh, that is nice! This is interesting :)

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Unless something has changed in the dependencies, Minetest 5.x might still run on Windows XP (just try it).
At least 0.4.15-dev (between 0.4.15 and 0.4.16) is going to work for sure because I compiled those on Windows XP.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I tested 5.0.0-dev on an XP virtual machine with sfan5's builds after support for XP was officially dropped and it worked. Things might have changed, but I want to try it out again myself (I got a new XP computer. Has a top-of-the-line Pentium 4 and comes with a complementary floppy disk drive. I really am curious to see how well it runs Minetest.)
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Well, tested things out again. 5.3.0's builds don't seem to work, although 5.0.1 works (didn't take the time to test anything else out though). 5.0.1 runs okayish -- transparency doesn't work at all, map loading is slow, and things like chatcommands and damage take about thirty seconds to register. This could be my computer in specific, but I somehow don't think Minetest on XP is very likely.

On the other hand, Minetest 0.3.1 works fairly well, so if you're certain you want to play Minetest on XP, that might be the best bet :-)
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

v-rob wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 04:22
but I somehow don't think Minetest on XP is very likely.
On the other hand: why should software first released February 2011 care about software that went out of mainstream support in April 2009? 😆

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

Perhaps it is possible to run Minetest in a GNU/Linux based Operating System running in a Virtual Machine.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Oblomov
GitHub: Oblomov
IRC: Oblomov
In-game: Oblomov

by Oblomov » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 19:43
Perhaps it is possible to run Minetest in a GNU/Linux based Operating System running in a Virtual Machine.
At that point it'd probably be better to replace the XP installation with a Linux distro. Probably even less work ;-)