legality of minecraft assets and sounds

perromercenario
In-game: perromercenario

legality of minecraft assets and sounds

by perromercenario » Post

i wanna make i minetest mod but dont like items textures and most of the nodes textures
i suppouse if i use minecraft vainilla textures the microsoft wanna screw me out for it !rigth

but if i use the contend some other minecraft modder create let say the R3D CRAFT Thomas Angeland or
the hexacraft textures from this guy HenryMaxxx https://www.planetminecraft.com/texture ... t-2919681/
it would be legal ?

i guest i can do whatever i want whith the textures i made for mi sttuf in the mercenarymod i made for minecraft but i would like to hear your opinions about it first

goats

Re: legality of minecraft assets and sounds

by goats » Post

Opinions are irrelevant, look at the licenses for whatever texturepacks you want to use. Note that there are loads of texturepacks available for Minetest games as well.

e.g. The Hexacraft to which you link says in HUGE LETTERS:
THIS TEXTUREPACK IS NOW LIZENSED UNDER PUBLIC DOMAIN,
YOU CAN DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT WITH IT! I STOPED WORKING ON IT.

in other cases you may need to download the resource and look for a license. (And then look up and understand whatever license is used if it is not fully written out.)

edit: "licensed under public domain" technically makes no sense, but the intent is clear. lol.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

https://tldrlegal.com/

I'd use this as a starting point for understanding licenses, though make sure you actually know what you're getting into before actually going through with the project.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

all user-made content for minecraft should come with a license. if not, send an email to the creator to ask about it.
most of them are free to use, as long as you credit the original author, but some do not allow you to edit them and a few do not allow you to use them outside of minecraft.

in this case, it literally says "you can do what you want", but i would still recommend you to credit the author, just to be safe.
you can credit yourself for editing, but you cannot exclude the author unless you draw up a new texture by yourself.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨