Relicensing MT under LGPLv2.1

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

Relicensing MT under LGPLv2.1

by LRV » Post

The LGPLv2.1 prevents from including functions, which require input other than when invoked. However, plenty of functions call other functions to reuse their return value, meaning they need input after invokation. Does that mean MT may only be relicensed under GPLv3?
This is a cool signature. :)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Relicensing MT under LGPLv2.1

by rubenwardy » Post

Not a lawyer, but LGPLv2.1 can only be relicensed to GPLv2.1 or AGPLv2.1. You can still write your own mods in whatever license you want because it doesn't count as linking
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

OK, let's be pragmatic here:
Is there any ACTUAL and CONCRETE problem the current license is causing RIGHT NOW? Do you have any SPECIFIC use case? If yes, then we can look into that in detail and try to find a solution.

If no, I don't think this discussion isn't very helpful.

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

First of all, MT Engine and most game mods are licensed under LGPLv2.1+, meaning you can relicense it as GPLv2, GPLv3, LGPLv2.1, LGPLv3 directly, and through the relicensing options of GPLv3 as AGPLv3.

My specific use case would be a mod that modifies minetest.get_node_dig to pass certain values to a custom minetest.get_node_drops. For that I'd need add sth like "digger:get_wielded_item()". This calls the function get_wielded_item, but outside when my custom minetest.get_node_drops is first invoked, which violates LGPLv2.1 and LGPLv3 terms, forcing me to revert to one of the other licenses.
This is a cool signature. :)

dodecahedron
IRC: dodecahedron
In-game: dodecahedron

by dodecahedron » Post

LRV wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 22:22
First of all, MT Engine and most game mods are licensed under LGPLv2.1+, meaning you can relicense it as GPLv2, GPLv3, LGPLv2.1, LGPLv3 directly, and through the relicensing options of GPLv3 as AGPLv3.

My specific use case would be a mod that modifies minetest.get_node_dig to pass certain values to a custom minetest.get_node_drops. For that I'd need add sth like "digger:get_wielded_item()". This calls the function get_wielded_item, but outside when my custom minetest.get_node_drops is first invoked, which violates LGPLv2.1 and LGPLv3 terms, forcing me to revert to one of the other licenses.
That is a good example, thank-you. I understand how people feel because there are so many clones. If you make a fun mod and want to release it as a stand alone game: having a more restrictive license helps create more incentive, in my opinion.
Don't say the 'B' word to me!