Access old versions easily

xBlivion
In-game: xBlivion

Access old versions easily

by xBlivion » Post

Hello, I'm not really tech-savvy, and In order to access some old games and mods, I'll need an older version of Minetest, preferably 4.13. I was thinking like a .deb file, since I can easily run those files. I'm still having trouble compiling :( Thanks!

(Linux)

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

Re: Access old versions easily

by MCL » Post

Older versions of Minetest require older libraries which may be hard to get on new Linux distributions, if you are not tech savvy, I recommend that if you do not need to modify the source code, you can just use Wine or a Windows computer if you have access to one to run binaries downloaded from c55.me/minetest
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

You can find all previous versions of Minetest here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/releases
You will need to compile yourself if using this method

You may also be able to install older versions using apt, something like this:

Code: Select all

# Install specific version
sudo apt-get install minetest=0.4.13

# Prevent updates
sudo apt-mark hold minetest
Also, 0.4.13 is over 5 years old. There are known vulnerabilities and problems with it. You should definitely find replacements or update those games and mods. Most of the breakages are differences in entity behaviour, aiming to make it less buggy and unreliable
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

TPH
IRC: TPH
In-game: TubberPupper-TubberPupperHusker-TPH

by TPH » Post

Sorry to bump a post 3 years later but how would I do this on Win8.1? (yes I know, terrible type of Windows to have)

I'm not tech savvy like the poster here as well and I'm curious as to how to get this to work. I'd like to test how my mods run on each version so that I can adequately determine if my assumption is correct for their min version ;p
I know I'm using functions from Minetest 0.4.16 at least (I use an addon for Zerobrane that has 0.4.16 library) - but that's different from actually running in said version.

Edit: Nevermind I don't read properly. I couldn't figure out how to access releases last time but a friend of mine just pointed it out to me, thanks!
Your fellow anthro-therian (copper) husky furry :D (hopefully not too cringe lol). How do ye' do?