Minetest based game with ads is allowed?

-UK-

by -UK- » Post

There's a game named "MultiCraft - Build and Mine! 👍" on Google Play Store and I think is is there for IOS also. In its source code readme it says it is based on Minetest. This game shows ads a lot of time while playing.Is it allowed and legal to show ads in a Minetest based games also I think that the license of Multicraft is different from Minetest.

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

Re: Minetest based game with ads is allowed?

by cx384 » Post

As far as I know this is allowed according to the rules of GNU LGPL v2.1 which is the license of minetest.

(This is even worse: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/minet ... verviewtab)
Can your read this?

-UK-

by -UK- » Post

cx384 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 14:39
As far as I know this is allowed according to the rules of GNU LGPL v2.1 which is the license of minetest.

(This is even worse: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/minet ... verviewtab)
What?! How can people do this. Is it possible to report that. And I also noticed that MultiCraft has a different liscense that is LGPLv3 (or higher). Is a different liscense for a Minetest based game allowed and legal?

goats

by goats » Post

Read the licenses governing Minetest. (Or any other game or mod such offerings might include).
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... ICENSE.txt
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... ae2228bc97
and every mod in MTG also has licenses...

I seem to notice licensing in this community tending toward the most permissive. Which means that mostly 1) other parties can do mostly what they want with it and 2) can sometimes put more restrictive licenses on their code. Welcome to open source. :)

Of course, anyone is free to comment anywhere what an ad-ridden, etc., etc., some derivative of MT is and point out there is an original which is ad-free. (Being truthful is generally appreciated.)

I think some games have been mentioned over time which had actually managed to violate licenses, but for the most part, what is one going to do about that besides point out the problems to relevant parties, or again, point users of such things to a better, free, ad-free experience.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

* You need even to differ between what kind of ads ...

- sure advertising for minetest in minetest would be allowed,
- just advertise for some NGO or strange page with takes money or your own getting money
is also a big issue about to answer your question.

So, the short version of your question I answer: YES , as there is no reason for a NO included.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

-UK- wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 13:11
There's a game named "MultiCraft - Build and Mine! 👍" on Google Play Store and I think is is there for IOS also. In its source code readme it says it is based on Minetest. This game shows ads a lot of time while playing.Is it allowed and legal to show ads in a Minetest based games also I think that the license of Multicraft is different from Minetest.
It's not forbidden to publish a modified version of Minetest as long as:
- the LGPL license is retained
- it is clearly stated that it originates from Minetest
- the source code is public

In fact, out of all the ad clones MultiCraft is a rather positive example, as they obey the license. Also, the MultiCraft developer (Monte48 or so) has decided to contribute some of his improvements back to the Minetest project. There are various other clones that market themselves as something other without referencing minetest(although I have heard of at least one which hasn't even removed the minetest title text) and are closed-source, those forks are clearly illegal.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

goats wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 22:16
Of course, anyone is free to comment anywhere what an ad-ridden, etc., etc., some derivative of MT is and point out there is an original which is ad-free. (Being truthful is generally appreciated.)
That is a cunning plan!! putting promotions for MT in google reviews by using the comments section of those ad ridden games .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

r1bnc
GitHub: r1bnc
IRC: r1bnc
In-game: r1bnc

by r1bnc » Post

From what i've heard Multicraft are players that does use iOS. There is no Minetest for iOS as they dont accept open source license in the App Store IIRC :(
cdb_4afce6e9210a
twitch.tv/r1bnc