A new name for Minetest

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: A new name for Minetest

by Linuxdirk » Post

We should get rid of any names containing the words "test" or "mine" or any variations of those words.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Since it's open source, FOSS, and quite a decent little engine that can, why not simply call it Open Voxel Sandbox?

Or...

OpenVox.

Instead of a Gnu name, why not stick with the name it has, since it has history. It's much easier than rewriting history. Just ask Orwell. :)

Shad

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

I would like to recommend:

George.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Brilliant! But maybe not specific enough. Which George? I vote for Costanza.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Mantar wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 16:34
Brilliant! But maybe not specific enough. Which George? I vote for Costanza.
No, that's the point! It's like 'Sam' in Minetest who is androgynous and could be short for 'Samantha' if you wanted. If you're American, George will be George Washington or for Republicans maybe George W Bush. It might be Boy George or George Clooney. If you're a Star Wars fan then it might be George Lucas. Or maybe it's even George Carlin if you you're into stand up comedy. Pretty much everyone has a George they know and love.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 21:59
If you're a Star Wars fan then it might be George Lucas...a George they know and love.
...Han...shot...first.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Survival Block Craft 3D: 2021 Edition HD
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Last edited by MCL on Sat Feb 19, 2022 23:53, edited 2 times in total.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

Oh this thread is continuing? I'll throw my fuel into the flames:

Engine: Minette, as mentioned here, is a very clever idea I think

Game: Mesetint, which is what I briefly renamed it to once

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

My suggestion is not renaming anything and stay as it is.

Why? I think it doesn't already make any sense, because 'Minetest' name is already well-established and all-known long ago and renaming it would raise only a confusion among all users. Also, it would cause plurality of problems, as it would be necessary to rename also the forum, the github repo, the wiki and other subdomains. Still, it would be require to review all the source code and replace each mention of the old name to the new one is what a just overkill and a waste of time for the core developers IMO.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Andrey01 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 21:07
My suggestion is not renaming anything and stay as it is.

Why? I think it doesn't already make any sense, because 'Minetest' name is already well-established and all-known long ago and renaming it would raise only a confusion among all users. Also, it would cause plurality of problems, as it would be necessary to rename also the forum, the github repo, the wiki and other subdomains. Still, it would be require to review all the source code and replace each mention of the old name to the new one is what a just overkill and a waste of time for the core developers IMO.
There's no reason a name change would have to be immediate and cover the internal parts of the project. The main goal would be just to slide out from under the shadow of minecraft, and develop a more recognizable presence.

I agree that it would be a waste of time, but for a different reason: MTG. Like it or not, minetest is a minecraft clone in the eyes of everyone except its small userbase, and that's going to remain true as long as the default game is a minecraft clone.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 06:59
Like it or not, minetest is a minecraft clone in the eyes of everyone except its small userbase, and that's going to remain true as long as the default game is a minecraft clone.
This is such an understatement! And exactly everything "wrong" with the current "mindset".

+100

Minetest is NOT minecr@p.

Minetest IS simply just "WOW!!!" A powerful voxel engine that will continue to be ignored as long as MC remains any part of the discussion.

Shad

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

funny names

by debiankaios » Post

Funny Names
voxelcraft
extendedapicraft
newcraft
notmojangdependentminecraft
librecraft
XDcraft

But the best is minetest. Voxelcraft would be nice too, but there is with a high probability already a game with this name.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

PolySaken wrote:
I agree that it would be a waste of time, but for a different reason: MTG. Like it or not, minetest is a minecraft clone in the eyes of everyone except its small userbase, and that's going to remain true as long as the default game is a minecraft clone.
Minetest is absolutely not a Minecraft clone as you state. This is a prejudice and I think it is even an abusive point about such great project. Those who say it just don't understand the main essence of that or just didn't involve enough into it.

Firstly, Minetest is game engine. This is its main difference from the original. It means you can create various games based on that with a certain set of mods. Minecraft don't have that feature.

Secondly, the default world is minimized and contains only the basic stuff to show a player its opportunities. However, if you feel insufficient in any time you can bring in something new and vary your game with a bunch of new items, mobs, features due to mods. Your world will be changed just beyond recognition. Mods are always free and can be fast downloaded via the in-game content installer. I think this is nice. And again, Minecraft doesn't that embedded installer. Also, its mods almost always get incompatible when upgrading the client to a new version and require to be updated.

And thirdly, the engine provides already built-in support for modding API, easy and accessible for even non-programmers. For Minecraft you need to install Minecraft Forge, third party library. Redudant hemorrhoid, isn't?

Also, the default Minetest game is not also a clone. This has similar content and design, but visually different textures, models, and etc. In addition, it has some own stuff as mese, binoculars, butterflies/fireflies, tin, fancy bed and many other.

So, based on the foresaid I can conclude Minetest is a quite different game from Minecraft both in the concept and the content base and this is not a clone.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Andrey01 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 15:34
PolySaken wrote:
Minetest is absolutely not a Minecraft clone as you state. This is a prejudice and I think it is even an abusive point about such great project. Those who say it just don't understand the main essence of that or just didn't involve enough into it.
-snip-

So, based on the foresaid I can conclude Minetest is a quite different game from Minecraft both in the concept and the content base and this is not a clone.
It doesn't matter what you think, or me for that matter, minetest will be a minecraft clone in the eyes of everyone outside the community until we stop portraying it as such.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Mentos

by Mentos » Post

Let's not forget that another big game is coming in the near future: Hytale
So, the name Minetest for me is good, don't need to change it.

AmyMoriyama
GitHub: AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

My two cents...

Chicken Craft
Super Blocky Miney 9001
WTH
You can mine deeper than 9000 blocks!

I don't know. Minetest is what I am familiar with, but it could hint at a game that is "not finished" and/or "not cared for enough to have a future".

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

Mentos wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 22:18
Let's not forget that another big game is coming in the near future: Hytale
So, the name Minetest for me is good, don't need to change it.
Lets rename to Hytest XD.

severak
GitHub: severak
In-game: Severak

by severak » Post

I think "Minetest" is good name for engine itself, mainly because it's already well known.

For Minetest the game I would suggest something like "base" or "default". It's not bad game because it's somewhat neutral and you can shape it by enabling those modes which you like.
back in Mintest after 10 years | my old mods

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

OMG best name idea is

Cubees

!!!

|4|4|
|4|4|

|4|4|
|4|4|
Last edited by Eris on Fri Dec 31, 2021 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Jump in the caac

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Sure, who doesn't love big cubees? :D
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile