A new name for Minetest

Mantar

Re: A new name for Minetest

by Mantar » Post

MHL wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 23:28
Let's rename it to MINECR~1.JAR
A bold and daring suggestion! While everyone else shuffles the deck chairs on the titanic, MHL has a plan that will actually get people interested in Minetest! At least until they run it.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Hmm, how about the name "Minetest"? It's well-known already and won't cause any API incompatibilities, huge renaming efforts, or confusion over the old name vs. the new name. Sounds like a winner to me.

Honestly, even if Minetest could be renamed, I wouldn't want to. The name has gotten a lot attached to it over the years, and a new name wouldn't have the same meaning, even if it was fancier, clever, modern, or whatever. That's my opinion at least.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Same, I like Minetest :)

deleted c0a803ab

by deleted c0a803ab » Post

v-rob wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 17:29
Hmm, how about the name "Minetest"? It's well-known already and won't cause any API incompatibilities, huge renaming efforts, or confusion over the old name vs. the new name. Sounds like a winner to me.

Honestly, even if Minetest could be renamed, I wouldn't want to. The name has gotten a lot attached to it over the years, and a new name wouldn't have the same meaning, even if it was fancier, clever, modern, or whatever. That's my opinion at least.
Thank you for not reading the first post...
-.-

Also I posted here:
"It is not a problem to change the name, not at all, it's just about the branding as EVILED said, there's no need to change every "minetest" phrase in every lua or c++ file."
So if you want to discuss that topic please use that thread instead of this forum game thread.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

I read the first post, but I'm saying the name I would choose is Minetest. I like it. I think it's the best name for us.

deleted c0a803ab

v-rob wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 19:29
I read the first post, but I'm saying the name I would choose is Minetest. I like it. I think it's the best name for us.
Can you please stop trolling?
If you really red the first post, read the thread title too and don't forget to read the word new in it.
And again, this is a fun thread, the other posters already got that...

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

I am of the opinion that the engine should be called OpenCube or something similar, while MTG should keep its name.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

voxel wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 20:00
v-rob wrote:
Can you please stop trolling?
If you really red the first post, read the thread title too and don't forget to read the word new in it.
And again, this is a fun thread, the other posters already got that...
As per forum guidelines, if the post is on-topic, then it is fine. And v-rob's post fits within an on-topic response, saying that he thinks a new name is not needed, which is totally valid response to this topic. You can't just police other people's opinions if they don't fit what you think is appropriate, that is a decision for the moderator team.

Also, bold of you to be aggressive towards a core-developer of the project.

deleted c0a803ab

philipbenr wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 21:01
As per forum guidelines, if the post is on-topic, then it is fine. And v-rob's post fits within an on-topic response [..]
Nope it is not read the rules again.
philipbenr wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 21:01
Also, bold of you to be aggressive towards a core-developer of the project.
I am not aggressive, stop troll posting this thread and play somewhere else!
If you have no fun in your life, stop taking the fun from others in a fun thread like this is!
Go outside and make breath exercises or whatever.
And yes the decision to ignore the thread title and the rules of a thread and troll instead is a free decision, sure.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Please, I am not a troll. I only wrote things relevant to a new name for Minetest, specifically that I wouldn't want a new name. And, if you didn't notice, the first paragraph of that first post is worded in such a way to make it sound humorous, and the second paragraph was my legitimate opinion on the subject. So, I was on-topic, followed all the rules, and was having fun. I never try to be rude or trollish, and I think my history on the forums attests to this.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Bastrabun wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 14:31
Let's rename it to "Minecraft" or "Veloren". Or maybe "Stalemate" :P
Minecraft or Veloren sounds good to me xD
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

v-rob wrote:
Fairplay . It is aptly descriptive .. to "mine" gather resources and "test" to test creative and survival skills ... if you were describing a game .but does it really reflect that minetest is an o.s engine that is capable of creating games? .
If you "had" to choose a word in addition to minetest as the offical name ,which promotional descriptive term would use you think would be best suited ?
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

voxel wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 16:16
No it is not, that topic you linked asks if Minetest should get a new name, I asked for new names.
Clearly you didn't actually read that topic, because numerous people (including myself) were using it to suggest new names. Hence this topic is redundant. And secondly, as a newcomer to this community, it is rather arrogant to respond with "no it is not", since you evidently have no familiarity of all the past discussions on the subject of rebranding Minetest which have been ongoing for years (and not just in that thread). But sure go ahead, and make a great first impression.

Bastrabun

by Bastrabun » Post

Can't we hand over this project to the apache foundation? They always come up with hilarious names.

Also, I wonder what prevents one to take Minetest, slap a different name and logo on it and sell it as MineThing or what ever they wish for. License allows, right?

Could be a nice challenge for a marketing class at university. "Here's an awesome/horrible piece of software. Make it sell."
Whatever I say is CC0

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

In the end, it comes down to celeron55. Minetest may have been chosen on a whim, and it's merits have been discussed to death. However....

As stated in many discussions, in this forum, on IRC, and elsewhere outside of the MT community, the name has history and brand recognition, if mainly in the FOSS community. It is included in many mainstream Linux distros, and a name change would create too much confusion and disruption to a project that is one of the better FOSS available games.

Due to the erroneous perception that Minetest is nothing but a Minecrap ripoff, those who might otherwise have interest simply choose the simple game of Minecrap instead of using Minetest as an fully programmable voxel engine.

Forking MT, for anyone interested, is not an easy undertaking. Brand recognition for your "new" renamed fork will be difficult to assemble, in light of this simple fact: You will need to point your users to the original source code, and thus the original project, and thus, here... to Minetest. You will then need to compete against the established product, while retaining LGPLv2.1 compliance. Good luck with this. So many have tried. None have succeeded.

A community led effort, driven by celeron55 and the core devs is the only means to effect change. Any change. Change can be good. Change can be bad. Reluctance to throw away brand recognition and history is understandable. For what will really ever be considered a FOSS Minecrap clone, a name change doesn't seem too high a priority, I'm guessing.

Don't diss on anyone's opinions! If you cannot handle someone expressing themselves, keep your own expressions of opinion to yourself!

Shad

deleted c0a803ab

sorcerykid wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 03:55
[replacethiswithselfishnessnonsensefoobar]
Whoops, I clicked "Add foe" on your profile page.
But do not care, little happy accidents exists.

deleted c0a803ab

@the others:
This is really just a forum game, just to have some fun, nothing more, if you want to discuss about that please post in the thread Mintest: Great Engine, Horrible 'Branding' that was already linked by me when I opened this thread here.

Thank you very much!
;)
Last edited by deleted c0a803ab on Sat Apr 10, 2021 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Just to play the forum "game".

3DDB. 3D Database. A fully programmable 3D datastore wherein each data element is a programmed object. Doesn't this actually fit the "goal" of languages such as C / C++?

Voxegin. Pronounced like Oxygen. The air we breathe.

Ultimate Voxel Sandbox Engine. (Sounds too much like hype).

Minecraft Alternative. (Does this need explaining? har har har)

Vox, as an abbreviation of Voxel, isn't really working for me, because it already has connotations in the audio industry in regards to vocals, as well as audio file formats. Who comes up with this stuff???

While we're at it, can we rename the number 3. I just don't like that name anymore, it is just so outdated and unrepresentative of the math.....

The name Game of Tests, sounds nice, but familiar. So does A Test of Thrones. How about, Stand the Test of Mines, or Stand the Test of Time, but again, familiar.

I'd vote for Opensimulator, but I think that name is taken. Maybe Voxsim?

Can we tell I'm bored at the moment, and well, I played the game, with plenty of ideas. ;)

Shad :)

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

minelua

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

The Engine of Malice And Discontent .
Warning this is not a game .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I propose the name be changed to Jack Smack Goes Whickety-Whack 'Till it Crickety-Cracks. The numerous advantages of this name, both technical and otherwise, are too obvious for me to list here, but all right-thinking people will agree.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Ektod
In-game: ektod

by Ektod » Post

Some ideas:

Voxeluar (voxel+lua)
Voxeluario (same)
Voxellarium (not sure if Voxelarium exists)
Voxeluarium (too much probably)
Voxelaring (Voxel+sharing)

And all the above but replacing Vox with Box

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Ngen, meaning:
- 'engine' when pronounced as an acronym (lol)
- 'node generator'
- 'not general-use'
- 'Newish Generic Node Engine'
- 'Ngeeeenn...' (usually followed by '...nnahhh', the noise made by the devs when someone has a good idea)
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

lag01
GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Post

I like name Minetest.

Continuing previous commenter ideas - "Minearium" would be good name for fresh game (not so much for engine).

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

I do like the Mein/Dein rhyme so..

Meintest? Jetzt es ist Deintest!
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂