Saying goodbye and sharing my 1 year perspective

AmyMoriyama
GitHub: AmyMoriyama

Re: Saying goodbye and sharing my 1 year perspective

by AmyMoriyama » Post

I'm both new here and not new here. I played around with minetest and even did some modding long time ago, then took a long break, and here I am again under a new identity. I remember little from way back when, but I do know a lot about open source projects.

The thing about open source projects is that the vast majority are done by volunteers who get paid little or nothing for their time and efforts. When the product is free, you can't be overly picky. A benefit of open source projects, if you get tired of waiting for someone else to do something, you are generally free to do it yourself. Don't know how? Learn.

I totally support open source projects because the volunteers who work on them generally actually care about the projects since they are willing to work on them without compensation. The open source model isn't perfect, but nothing is perfect.

Concerning minetest itself, there is nothing stopping anyone from forking the project and doing their own thing with it. For mods, there's nothing stopping anyone from making their own mods.

It always sucks to see people go, especially those who contribute a lot to a project in some manner(s), but, reality is in a constant state of change. Nothing ever remains the same for long. It is what it is. As well, nature hates a vacuum. If one person leaves, another will fill their place eventually.

runs

by runs » Post

AmyMoriyama wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 16:42
It always sucks to see people go, especially those who contribute a lot to a project in some manner(s), but, reality is in a constant state of change. Nothing ever remains the same for long. It is what it is. As well, nature hates a vacuum. If one person leaves, another will fill their place eventually.
He did not abandon. I can see him in the shadows still (Element Chat).

I believe he will be back, sooner or later. The truth is stranger sometimes than fantasy....

Ethan Connor

by Ethan Connor » Post

I'm not agree with all of your point you had noted but I will defiantly agree with you on some points anyways which u best of luck for future endeavors and i hope you can have a better experience wherever you're going

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

not all pixel artists are appreciated in their lifespan. your works might be better recognized in retrospect.

Ethan Connor

by Ethan Connor » Post

I agree with you on some points but I'm not agree with all of your points.

LonelyCDDISK
GitHub: LonelyMusicDisc
In-game: LonelyDisc

by LonelyCDDISK » Post

I agree with all of your points, expect maybe the bullies part, but yea, with the slow development, I hope more people find out about it and help development.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

LonelyCDDISK wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:49
I agree with all of your points, expect maybe the bullies part, but yea, with the slow development, I hope more people find out about it and help development.
To be honest ever since corona things seemed to gotten better. Contents nearly on the daily on ContentDB, a game version update once ~6 or so month (instead of approximately yearly) and a fairly active forum.

Granted it got ways to go (there's still significant PRs/Issues being present, some things not getting responded in a timely manner on the forum, etc)

but at least the improvements did and are taking place.

runs

by runs » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 13:59
LonelyCDDISK wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:49
To be honest ever since corona things seemed to gotten better. Contents nearly on the daily on ContentDB, a game version update once ~6 or so month (instead of approximately yearly) and a fairly active forum.

Granted it got ways to go (there's still significant PRs/Issues being present, some things not getting responded in a timely manner on the forum, etc)

but at least the improvements did and are taking place.
NO, lately all this is very much off, or so I think.

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

Zughy wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 17:31

6. There's no way to make money out of Minetest
About the last point, let's say you want to make money out of your server or your contents: good luck, considering MT general public (people who are probably investing in other projects or people who didn't want to pay for the original MC). In a year of producing tons of quality contents and hosting a server, I've made 30€: all by a single donor. Luckily for me, the server was gifted, so I've actually earned something, but we know it doesn't usually work like this. I have a passion, great, but I already pay with my time and my efforts. I then make an investment, but if I have nothing in return, that's not helping at all.
If you read this, this changed now. A 200$ price pool is many for minetest. It seems that inetest should get more promotion.